Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol Focus Engine Sounds Like A Diesel At Idle

suddste

Hello,

I'm new here so excuse me if I break any rules.

The problem is that when at idle (and maybe at other times, not sure) the engine seems to sound like a diesel, it's only noticeable when the engine is warm, and when the heater fans, radio is on mute. I dont seem to notice any performance changes, or fuel economy being worse, as far as I can tell.

The car only has 40,000miles on it, it's a Focus 1.6L LX 1.5mk

Any help?

Thanks,

JohnS

If the vehicle is regularly serviced, then it could be a timing issue?

Only had the car nearly a year now, in May will be the first service with me. I guess I could leave it till then, but I dont really want to damage anything.

Check the service history, was it done by a dealer, or did the previous owner act as a lone ranger when it came to servicing? sometimes you can find that it will have had most requirements done but not all.

It could be worth checking the oil, and possibly a replacement, I believe you can get the service done sooner if you want to, as long as its done within 12 months! is the service your getting based on year age or mileage?

Check the service history, was it done by a dealer, or did the previous owner act as a lone ranger when it came to servicing? sometimes you can find that it will have had most requirements done but not all.

It could be worth checking the oil, and possibly a replacement, I believe you can get the service done sooner if you want to, as long as its done within 12 months! is the service your getting based on year age or mileage?

jeebowhite, thanks for the reply, the service history book shows that it's been serviced 3 or 4 times, and the build date was 2004, so theres a few years there where it hasnt been serviced. I did check the oil a couple weeks ago, it was black, but still on the maximum mark.

Update: it sounds a little like this:

Update: it sounds a little like this:

might be me but it sounds like youre tappets need adjusted black oil isnt doing the engine any good i never let it get black i have it chenged plus the filter every 6-8 months max looks like the car could do with being put in for a full service

might be me but it sounds like youre tappets need adjusted black oil isnt doing the engine any good i never let it get black i have it chenged plus the filter every 6-8 months max looks like the car could do with being put in for a full service

Thanks, any idea on how much it would cost to fix?

A bottle of fresh oil, an oil Filter probably come to around £50 depending on what you buy, as for the tappets, I have not heard of them so will leave that one to artscot. in fact arts, could you provide a description of what they are and what they do?

A bottle of fresh oil, an Oil Filter probably come to around £50 depending on what you buy, as for the tappets, I have not heard of them so will leave that one to artscot. in fact arts, could you provide a description of what they are and what they do?

Thanks, yeah I may leave it to May for it's yearly service, though. I also would like to know if it's alright running it making this noise as there isnt any idle problems apart from the sound at warm idle, and no performance issues as far as I can tell

Thanks, yeah I may leave it to May for it's yearly service, though. I also would like to know if it's alright running it making this noise as there isnt any idle problems apart from the sound at warm idle, and no performance issues as far as I can tell

A tappet is the noise made by a worn cam follower, however the term is widely used to represent the cam follower itself.As the cam rotates, it creates both a sideways and a downward force on the tappet. Without a tappet (and with the cam acting directly on the valve), the sideways force would cause the valve stem to bend. With a tappet, the sideways force is transferred to the cylinder head so only the downward force acts on the valve stem. Tappets/lifters are engineered to last the lifetime of the engine when the engine is properly maintained, including proper oil and filter changes. Though they are reliable, they have their drawbacks; valve clearances periodically require adjustment as the contact surfaces of both tappet and valve stem wear.so the noise could be that they are worn or that the valves need adjusted a ford job which i couldnt spewculate on cost about an hours labour

this doesnt apply to vvt engines which dont have them

A tappet is the noise made by a worn cam follower, however the term is widely used to represent the cam follower itself.As the cam rotates, it creates both a sideways and a downward force on the tappet. Without a tappet (and with the cam acting directly on the valve), the sideways force would cause the valve stem to bend. With a tappet, the sideways force is transferred to the cylinder head so only the downward force acts on the valve stem. Tappets/lifters are engineered to last the lifetime of the engine when the engine is properly maintained, including proper oil and filter changes. Though they are reliable, they have their drawbacks; valve clearances periodically require adjustment as the contact surfaces of both tappet and valve stem wear.so the noise could be that they are worn or that the valves need adjusted a ford job which i couldnt spewculate on cost about an hours labour

this doesnt apply to vvt engines which dont have them

Thanks, should it be attempted to be fixed immediately? or could it be left to my May service?

Thanks, should it be attempted to be fixed immediately? or could it be left to my May Service?

if thats what it definately is whatever it is will likely get worse over time and like anything usually ends up costing more in the long run if it was me ide have the car in asap to see what the ford guys say and take it from there

if thats what it definately is whatever it is will likely get worse over time and like anything usually ends up costing more in the long run if it was me ide have the car in asap to see what the ford guys say and take it from there

I see, thanks

Hmm, I feel somewhat happier now. I just checked under the hood and it appears that the engine is vibrating, pretty sure that this is the cause of the sounds. Any ideas as to the fix of this?

Hmm, I feel somewhat happier now. I just checked under the hood and it appears that the engine is vibrating, pretty sure that this is the cause of the sounds. Any ideas as to the fix of this?

most probably a worn engine mount them. there are 3 mounts, you will need to work out which one is worn/damaged. there is one at the left hand side as you look at the engine, one under the battery tray on the gearbox(IIRC) and a dog bone mount/stabiliser under the car.

most probably a worn engine mount them. there are 3 mounts, you will need to work out which one is worn/damaged. there is one at the left hand side as you look at the engine, one under the battery tray on the gearbox(IIRC) and a dog bone mount/stabiliser under the car.

Thanks. Can it be fixed without completely removing the engine out the car?

Thanks. Can it be fixed without completely removing the engine out the car?

yes, they can be done quite easily. normally the engine/gearbox is supported on a trolley jack or engine support beam is put across the top..

yes, they can be done quite easily. normally the engine/gearbox is supported on a trolley jack or engine support beam is put across the top..

ok thank you. I may leave it to my next service if it's not such a big deal now, unless i am mistaken into thinking that it's not a big deal?

ok thank you. I may leave it to my next service if it's not such a big deal now, unless i am mistaken into thinking that it's not a big deal?

Its probably best looked at now, any excessive play could cause damage to the exhaust system.

Its probably best looked at now, any excessive play could cause damage to the exhaust system.

to be honest, it isn't a bad vibration, it's not shaking the car, so I would think it shouldn't matter too much but I dont know. What would I say when I take it into a service? engine vibrating/shaking?

Pretty much! just tell them on driving it the vehicle seems to be under more vibration than usual and you suspect that its being caused by the front end. Dont tell them what you think it is, because they will only take the engine mounts and replace them and then probably find a way to pin the blame on something else...

Pretty much! just tell them on driving it the vehicle seems to be under more vibration than usual and you suspect that its being caused by the front end. Dont tell them what you think it is, because they will only take the engine mounts and replace them and then probably find a way to pin the blame on something else...

thanks, although the car doesnt seem to vibrate when the RPM is higher than about a 1000

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club