Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lenny

Am I correct in saying then that the engine management light does not come as it thinks there is a blockage or something?

My engine light comes on at the mo due to the fault with the EGR, and if the engine light comes on with the EGR fixed and the blanking plate in which i am told it does not, then i will just use the car with the EGR unplugged because the car is a much better drive like that, a more responsive stronger engine with better fuel economy 74mpg exta urban is not to be sniffed at these days, and come car test day i will just plug in the EGR and reset the ECU errors.

• Like 1

I am off to a ford dealers today to get a replacement EGR valve clamp and will get my hands dirty today and hopefully the EGR will be ok with a clean, if not ill have to get a new 1, i was quoted €230 here in in Ireland for a new valve and i have seen em on eBay as a brand new genuine part from the UK with part number for £88, which converts to €107, ripp off republic.

I managed to get original clip off and back on, you just need to be brutal with it, i cleaned up the EGR valve, there were lots of carbon powdery deposits in there, it was a bout a quarter full of the stuff.

The same symptoms persist, car is hard to start and cuts out at any time, i get the code P0405, could my EGR valve actuator be damaged ?

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0405

The car runs just fine with the EGR unplugged.

Any help appreciated.

I could be wrong, but there could be an electrical fault as well as a mechanical fault with the valve

When it's plugged in, the ecu may be telling it to open so would adjust other parameters to compensate, but may not actually be opening causing the engine to run poorly

Seems likely as when you unplug it the engine runs fine

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Am I correct in saying then that the engine management light does not come as it thinks there is a blockage or something?

Correct

• Like 1

i know what you mean, the actuator on top of the EGR may be cream crackerd bit i wouldn't know i am not a mechanic.

With the EGR plugged in and the EGR blanking plate removed i get a P0698 code.

http://www.dtcsearch.com/P0698/

The EML does come on after a few miles.

Egr blanking plate fitted , what a difference, hesitation in gears all gone , no lights either , very happy with results , took 30 mins , thank goodness for small girlie hands !! :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 2

To put a new EGR valve on is it just a case of fitting a new one or does it need setting up in some way ?

To put a new EGR valve on is it just a case of fitting a new one or does it need setting up in some way ?

needs to be synced with your specific ecu mate,

How is that done and what is the usual cost, can i just take it to a ford dealer for that ?

How is that done and what is the usual cost, can i just take it to a ford dealer for that ?

yeah your local ford dealership can do it for you but they charge one hour labour for a five minute job on the computer,

they plugh in to the cars diagnostic port and reinstall the egr software so as it detects the new replacement valve and begins to control it

Ok Lenny thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

Used this guide the other day and it was perfect, car now is far better In 1st and second

Thanks lenny

• Like 1

Used this guide the other day and it was perfect, car now is far better In 1st and second

Thanks lenny

Hi,

No Problem thanks for feedback, you may also like to view my guide on upgrading the factory fitted induction filter,

It works quite well after blanking the egr gives another slight increase :

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36783-green-cotton-performance-induction-filter-fitting-guide/

I should be buying air filter on pay day lol, read many of your guides and they are very helpful

• Like 1

I should be buying air filter on pay day lol, read many of your guides and they are very helpful

thanks mate i appreciate it,

i created them in my spare time across three years,

• 1 month later...

Hi - thanks for the excellent guide. I am sure this will have most falling off chairs with laughter, but all the same here goes: I was challenged with slacking off the nut holding the EGR cooling cylinder, but everything else went smoothly; except that is till the nice shiny blanking plate managed to escape my clammy fingers. Just where do they fall? Have looked everywhere underneath, taken panel off base etc, but it is vanished! Any suggestions would be greatly received from those, who like me, have fat fingers that couldn't quite get the plate to slot smoothly over the top pin.

I did this on the cmax and the plate fell into the belt and pulley and got stuck lol so if you have removed the undertray and it'd not eating in there it could be wedged either on something, in a gap or perhaps it's fallen into place mostly?

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Oh boy I fat fingered mine too. I used a bit of blu tac on a stick to get the plate in. Blue tac fell off never to be seen again lol. It's a nightmare job

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks for the comments - well after 15 miles over bumpy terrain, the plate has still not made an appearance. Must have got itself well and truly wedged somewhere in below the EGR completely out of sight. Hopefully it will work its way out - looks like I will be ordering another.

Hi folks, im new to these parts after I picked up a MK2.5 the other day an thought id pop by to say hello, already fitted the reversing sensors via one of these amazing guide an now looking towards the EGR valve!

Sounds fairly easy up to fitting the actual plate, would that be about right? wouldn't say I have big hands or anything but it would be my first outing playing with parts attached to the engine block.

Something I was thinking about was the affect on the DP filter, which is a concern as i have a Stage IV system, I saw someone mention that it would increase the pressure within the system helping clear it out but wouldn't it also increase the soot deposits in the filter given the exhaust gases haven't been re-burnt via the EGR? Curious what your thoughts are on this?

Anyhow thanks for your time and look forward to spending more time around here..

Hi Darren, Welcome to the family!

To be honest the soot levels would increase a little, however, the performance of the engine, the fact that its hot gasses only being sent out the exhaust (rather than hot then cooled) it actually would improve the burning process of the soot in the regeneration.

The issue is that the EGR is only meant to recycle the gas and burn off the extra nitrous oxides, it doesnt actually improve the amount of soot leaving the engine, it just allows it another path to build up on, and another place to block up, resulting in another expensive part to replace because the dealers are afraid to get their hands dirty and clean a part, when they could just sell you another at top whack!

Thanks for the quick reply! ok, but doesn't the EGR cooler just cool the air going back in to the engine though? after combustion it would be just as hot as it would normally be with or without the EGR? or does it cool the exhaust gasses headed to the DPF?

Though I guess an increase in pressure should allow it to get hotter at the DPF anyway, Eeek! Thermo dynamics or whatever it is isn't my strong point! It would be a no brainer getting rid of the EGR and saving the engine some hassle if it wasn't for the DPF which can and likely will go wrong at some point sooner.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club