Sign in to follow this  
David_90

Coolant Leaking Into Drivers Footwell

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

Sorry I'm new to this!

Whilst checking levels on my 05' plate Focus Titanium I noticed my coolant was below the minimum by about 15mm having topped up and checked a day later, it was back to below the minimum line.

I searched high and low for a leak but found nothing!

Whilst hoovering my car out at the weekend i had a eureka moment when I came across a damp patch in the drivers footwell! looking up to the right of the clutch peddle i could see two steel bundy pipes, one of them leaking coolant from a black plastic clip/clamp!

I've attached a photo of the leaking clip.

has anyone ever had to change this? had the same problem? any advice - feedback would be great.

David.

post-54799-0-80315700-1401267728_thumb.j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was doing that but sorted itself out. I'm sure someone on here should be able to help. All I know is if it needs replacing its just way to much work. Have you ever kicked it or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't kicked it, it's well hidden above the clutch. Bit of a nightmare though, car started to smell like a dead fish now!! I just think I'll dry the pipes and take the clip off, silicon seal all around it etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does ur ac work? Them pipes are ac pipes I think. Turn it on see if it starts to leak or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi David,

I've had a similar problem but it turned out to be the heater matrix as my leak was coming from bottom of heater box. The pipes you are talking about are coolant pipes to the matrix and there are O rings in the joint that leak from under the plastic clip. Change the seals and clips and that should cure it. Seals and clips from ford are only a few quid but I believe its a pig of a job to do. It was the first thing I checked when I discovered I was losing coolant on my car but unfortunately it was the matrix which turned out to be a tad on the expensive side.

Hope this was helpful, good luck with it.

All the best,

Paul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's great help, thanks. I phone my local Ford up and they charge half hours labour and £10/15 for the clip and o ring. I'll pop down there and buy the clip, and attempt to do it myself as half hours labour is £70 + VAT. If I fail miserably at it, the car will be limping to the garage after all!

Thanks for your help Guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best option get them to do it. You just end up getting cut up. I tried changing a sensor up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi yes coolant was in my drivers foot well. Garage said it was the heater matrix and they changed it. Took him 6 hours labour But a week later as i was driver through the gears I heard a loud POP and the inside of the windscreen steam up. I checked again and the coolant fluid again in the drivers foot well. Back in the garage again. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi David,

Referring to your original photo, is the orientation correct? I am struggling to visual where these pipes are :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be wrong but I think the two black rubber pipes to the left of those metal ones are the coolant feed to the heater matrix. I think Naz is right and they are pipes to the A/C evaporator matrix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I experienced a similar problem with my 2012 Ecoboost focus.  The leak into the footwell was detected after I noticed a coolant level drop.  My garage advised that the replacement part comes as a single unit so it would appear that Ford have designed out the tendency to leak at the joint. 

I consider a seal life on a hard-to-reach part that is not subject to physical wear and tear below standard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all.

I've been having a problem with my 2011 Focus since the start of the year when the coolant ran out. I actually had it off road for ages while I waited for an apointment and it was in the Ford garage for a week and they still didn't find the problem. Today, for the second time I've had to clean my mats as they were oily and it causing my feet to slip on the pedals, so when cleaning the footwell carpent I press down and the red coolant seeps through.

So great, something to do with the heater matrix / o-rings....

Question is, at the end of September 2018 the same garage supplied and fitted a an air conditioning condenser assembly and o-rings. Can anyone tell me if this is related to the matrix or connected to the matrix? Or is this an entirely different problem? Should I be able to get the garage to correct this based on a poor job the first time around?

Can anyone offer any advice?

 

cheers,

Dan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dan5779 said:

Hi all.

I've been having a problem with my 2011 Focus since the start of the year when the coolant ran out. I actually had it off road for ages while I waited for an apointment and it was in the Ford garage for a week and they still didn't find the problem. Today, for the second time I've had to clean my mats as they were oily and it causing my feet to slip on the pedals, so when cleaning the footwell carpent I press down and the red coolant seeps through.

So great, something to do with the heater matrix / o-rings....

Question is, at the end of September 2018 the same garage supplied and fitted a an air conditioning condenser assembly and o-rings. Can anyone tell me if this is related to the matrix or connected to the matrix? Or is this an entirely different problem? Should I be able to get the garage to correct this based on a poor job the first time around?

Can anyone offer any advice?

 

cheers,

Dan

 

 

The AC condenser is in the engine bay so replacing it shouldn't have disturbed the heater matrix and it's pipework.  The rubber o-rings can rot over time, especially if the anti-freeze mix is too strong (it happened on mine).  Although replacement o-rings are cheap from Ford, fitting them is an absolute :ranting:!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

The AC condenser is in the engine bay so replacing it shouldn't have disturbed the heater matrix and it's pipework.  The rubber o-rings can rot over time, especially if the anti-freeze mix is too strong (it happened on mine).  Although replacement o-rings are cheap from Ford, fitting them is an absolute :ranting:!

Thanks Damien. The o-rings are required to go between the join of one of the two pipes on the left? I haven't actually seen coolant emerge yet to know which. Is this the only place it could be coming from to cause the flood in the footwell?

cheers!

 

IMG_20190612_0647411.thumb.jpg.4a8c5226b89025c574d01410504e8d15.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, dan5779 said:

Thanks Damien. The o-rings are required to go between the join of one of the two pipes on the left? I haven't actually seen coolant emerge yet to know which. Is this the only place it could be coming from to cause the flood in the footwell?

cheers!

 

IMG_20190612_0647411.thumb.jpg.4a8c5226b89025c574d01410504e8d15.jpg

 

No worries mate.  If there is any residue/sign of leaking near the pipe joins then it has to be the joins that are leaking.  After the join the pipes are solid runs through the bulk head and into the engine bay.

 

Also, if one of the o-rings has rotted sufficiently to not do it's job properly, the other one can't be far behind as they've been exposed to the same temperatures and chemicals so it would probably be a good idea to do both at the same time.

 

The matrix itself can fail (VERY rarely) but you wouldn't see any residue on the pipes (near the retention clips) because the fluid would be leaking out from behind the centre console.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all i in know this post is old but iv had to replace an o ring on coolant pipe in foot well after a leak 

buy ford o rings nothing else and clips cost me £18 it's a right pain to do but it's doable fist undo pipe in engine bay 

Undo both pipes anti-clockwise be careful they are very brittle I used angled long nose pliers to undo had to replace one pipe 

because it broke £10 from breakers yard 

this allows pipe in foot well to separate more freely to replace o ring there should be a little 

recess in pipe for o ring to sit flush I used a cotton bud with silicon grease to insert o ring

make shore you drain coolant out first from rad before you start 

there is a very detailed post on this but could not find it again 

Hope this make sense good luck 

IMG_1060.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

New to the forum and looking for some advice. It looks like my focus has started leaking bad from the o ring going to the heater matrix. Since i bought the car i though i was topping it up quite regular but when i noticed it was going down quite fast i thought i would look into it more. I can see the orange rad fluid leaking from the join in the pipe that goes to the heater matrix as described before. but i am unsure wether i should do it myself or take it to the ford dealer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 6:55 PM, grasshopperaggy said:

Hi

New to the forum and looking for some advice. It looks like my focus has started leaking bad from the o ring going to the heater matrix. Since i bought the car i though i was topping it up quite regular but when i noticed it was going down quite fast i thought i would look into it more. I can see the orange rad fluid leaking from the join in the pipe that goes to the heater matrix as described before. but i am unsure wether i should do it myself or take it to the ford dealer.

Unless you are brave, take it to a mechanic! Wouldn't recommend a Ford dealer simply due to their over inflated labour charge. Mine was done last month and it took 4 hours for a very competent mechanic, though I got a good discount as I actually bought the car from him last year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My focus o rings have gone twice now in 2 years.  If taking ford prepare for big bill. 

A garage managed to do it mine without taking dash out and it's very fiddly job with patience as up by clutch pedal. 

Now as gone again I went to few garages from ripping out dash, to cutting pipes and joining with hoses, to the fiddly job of garage or u doing it yourself. 

now as mine gone again numerous mechanics recommend kseal and it has stopped the heater matrix o ring leak and the water pump leak for price between 11-15 pound. 

There is a awesome guide on this forum if u fancy having go yourself.

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

K-seal is horrible stuff!!  It clogs waterways, radiators and heater matrices...  Only use it as a last resort in a car you don't intend to keep long!  

I pulled the head off an engine that had been filled with K-seal once...it had overheated and cracked due to coolant restriction.  When I pulled the head, the K-seal was still dangling from the waterways like spaghetti! :laugh: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL, I see 'sealants' haven't lost their detractors. Years ago I used RadWeld for a radiator leak, the amount of online abuse I got was abnormal. But, it fixed the leak, and the car, now in my sisters possession, has lasted 12 years since 'repair'!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

LOL, I see 'sealants' haven't lost their detractors. Years ago I used RadWeld for a radiator leak, the amount of online abuse I got was abnormal. But, it fixed the leak, and the car, now in my sisters possession, has lasted 12 years since 'repair'!

Some people smoke all their life and don't get cancer...  It doesn't mean smoking is safe though, just that they were lucky.  :wink: 

I'm not suggesting K-seal will wreck every car it's put in, but having seen the damage it can do first hand, I wouldn't use any leak sealer on a car I was keeping.  On a cheap stop-gap, I'd probably give it a go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, grasshopperaggy said:

I ended up going to Ford. £200 . I decided I would rather someone else do it who had done it before. Thank for the advice.

Money well spent, you also know that they'll have used the proper washer which shouldn't fail again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this