Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Driving Test!

London's Finest

Passed my test last year so I'm fairly current.

Top tip: observation. You cannot over observe, keep looking around you and checking your blind spots on manoeuvres or changing lanes. Also found being chatty with the examiner helped; I wouldn't bother taking your instructor if you choose to.

Stay calm, drive as you normally would and you'll soon forget its a test ;)

Thanks that's great advice! Unfortunately I keep getting confused because I get conflicting instructions from my parents (who took their test ages ago) and my instructor. My dad wants me to be over-kill and my instructor gives me conflicting advice, i.e. at mini round abouts don't signal as it not necessary if you're taking 2nd exits ( I usually signal after I've gone past the first exit) and not to look at my interior mirror when I brake or start or stop. Also, not signalling when its not necessary, my instructors tells me not to, if theres no one to benefit and my dad the opposite, he feels i'll fail if I don't go over kill. :/ Can you shine some light on this?

Listen to your instructor, he/she has more experience getting folk through their test ;)

But remember that your instructor teaches you to pass your test, but you only learn to drive AFTER you've passed. Well that's what my instructor told me :)

You should take your instructors advice as a given, but do take onboard advice from others.

When I learnt to drive, it wasn't mandatory for instructors to take the practical test themselves (he hadn't) so most of his advice was picked up from previous and current students anyway.

My two cents for your questions; At mini roundabouts, only indicate if either: you're turning immediate left or if you're turning right where the exit is more than 180 degrees from where you're coming from. If you're going straight across, only indicate if there's oncoming traffic as you pass the first exit. As I'm approaching to their right, they then know I'm coming off.

Unless in an emergency and therefore have no time too, check your interior mirror BEFORE starting, stopping or braking. For the later, you need to asses how your braking will affect the vehicle behind you. When your performing any of the above, your full attention needs to be on the vehicle and road infront of you..

Whilst obviously using your indicators is a must, using them at the wrong times will earn you a minor on each occasion. If you accrue three minors for 'improper use of signals', you'll fail :rolleyes:

*EDIT: More importantly, don't forget your examiner is expecting and wanting you to pass. So much infact, they carry your pass certificate with them :lol:

chew chewing gum,stops your mouth from drying out through anxiety.

making the examiner feels confident in your driving but not to the extent where your over confident.

times have changed since i took mine yonks ago,and as others have said i too was told the instructors teach you to pass a test.

good luck with it.

When said about being over observant, over act it, don't just use your eyes give every check a little bit of head movement so it stands out, and get chatting to him / her to distract them more, if it's a guy find out about his interest and pretend to have the same, same for football, don't pick the same team but if he picks say Man City pick someone that's done over Man Utd and Chelsea and helped out City and give them nothing but praise, worked for me many many moons ago, mine didn't notice me not indicating and pretty much jumping a light lol

I passed my test back in the early 80's, so don't know if tests are much different today, but back then the examiner would ask you several questions regarding the highway code. One of the most common questions asked was to explain situations when overtaking wasn't allowed - such as approaching a hump-backed bridge, or approaching junction / zebra crossing, etc, so it's worth brushing up on that just in case.

Also, as someone already mentioned, keep checking your rear view mirror whilst driving after you set off, and make sure the examiner can see you doing so. Also keep an eye on your speedometer too - the examiner won't be very forgiving if you stray over the limit significantly.

Finally, just keep nice and calm without looking excessively nervous. I know it's easier said than done, but the examiner would rather see someone who is reasonably confident behind the wheel (without being over-confident) than someone who looks a bag of nerves.

For what it's worth, my examiner was totally miserable with a face like he was chewing a wasp - but the guy passed me thank goodness.

Be pleasant and professional. Relax and smile. Wear comfortable, clean clothes. Be confident but not cocky. Stand up straight: chin up, shoulders back. Smile again. Relax ... and remember to breathe!!!

:D

P. S. Don't panic, you need to think clearly.

P.P.S. Let us know how it goes!!

P.P.P.S. BREATHE!!!!!!!

Sent from Ye Olde iPadde using Ford OC

Don't dress like a melvin, turning up looking like you're going to be another big exhaust corsa driving w****r probably won't help your chances :lol:

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

I passed my test many moons ago but one tip I always remember. Slightly adjust your rear view mirror so it requires you to move your head slightly to look at it. Means the examiner sees a head movement every time you use the mirror.

Oh, good luck.