Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Bearing Has Died

BugCo22

Ok anyone changed a wheel bearing before ?? Any guides on how to do it ?? Cheers

Complete hub, 3 or 4 bolts, can't remember exactly, not a hard job on them

Cool :-) do you no a rough cost from a motor factors ??

About £70, euro car parts are about £75, but if you are in with someone you can get it for around £60

4 torx bolts on the rear ones. Could be male or female torx head though - new ones will require a female torx socket.

Cheers, this may cost bit more then expected lol. Stef you say female ?? Is that the "socket or Allen key" type, easy way to describe lol ??

Cheers, this may cost bit more then expected lol. Stef you say female ?? Is that the "socket or Allen key" type, easy way to describe lol ??

The new bolts wlll be a male torx - requires a female torx socket. They will look similar to the pic attached.

The existing bolts however can be either or but most likely a female torx if they havent been changed. Off the top of my head you will need a long T50 torx bit (male) for these.

I cant remember what size of female torx socket you need for the new bolts, an E12 perhaps? I will have a look as I have some in the shed.

post-3200-0-69121600-1434785114_thumb.jp

Ok just to confirm.

You will need a long T50 torx bit socket if the old bolts are female type, the one I have shown is 100mm overall length.

And you will need an E12 torx socket for the new male bolts. A 3/8 drive socket will fit in the access hole in the hub which is around 18mm.

IMG_5547_zpsplwpy0eo.jpg

IMG_5545_zps03afhyec.jpg

IMG_5546_zpsqilp29lk.jpg

Thanx very much for your replies. I jus checked and already own the female torx, jus off now to get a male set and a new bearing. Then to get my hands dirty lol. Does anyone know the torque settings for doing the new bolts up ??

• Like 1

70Nm iirc.

Some will say you need to disconnect the handbrake cable from the caliper - don't bpther as it's no necessary, the caliper can be swung out the way with it still attached.

Being a nuimpty without tools I let ATS recently do mine for £160 plus VAT. They said it was a quick and easy fit,

Well that went pretty well, all fixed :-) I did manage to round one of the old torx bolts, but a 14mm socket and a hammer solved that one lol. Cheers for all the help :-)

Oh yeah, 70nm for the bearing bolts lol

• 4 weeks later...

Whats it like to do a front bearing as one of mine has become noisy on my mk4

The front wheel bearings are the gen2 type, so will need a special tool to remove/replace correctly. I have done them in the past using a press for a vw but it does take some creativity.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club