Do Not Sell My Personal Information

airbag light will be the death of me.

grjbb

!Removed! airbag light is doing my nut! :blink: 

MK1 2003 Focus; First came on as a continuous light giving no code... thought I had narrowed it down to the module under the center console. Picked one off eBay for a tenner exactly same model num / serial numbers as mine, also the guy stated it had not gone off and had worked fine on previous car. Well I installed it today only for the airbag light to come on when the ignition is on (before it would come on before ignation is on) and this time its flashing so at least its giving a code. providing its not a dud airbag module...

It flashes 4 times in an a 5 set, so a total of 20 flashes. then finally on continuously. I have yet to give it a ride out but have pulled the fuse out and back in (the fuse is fine too, changing is was one of the first things i done)

Apart from that I have moved seats, pulled out the connectors, left them, plugged them back in, put electric grease on the connectors. I have plugged in my OBD reader and it does not come up with any codes, am I correct that these cheap OBD readers (elm327) will not pick up airbag codes? do ford VCM pick up airbag codes and how are cheap ones on ebay :blush:? it's worth pointing out that the car has had quite a bad condensation problem this winter, with a boot full of water. 

Done alot of searching about and reached an end to solutions so reaching out if anyone can point me in a direction, thanks :smile:

Sounds like a seatbelt pretensioner error.

Have you tried disconnecting the sensor connections to them?

Next option could be an earthing fault with the pretensioners or the main module, check for corrosion on the mounting bolts.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply,

No not done anything to do with the seat belt yet. will disconnect the sensors tomorrow when I'm off work. What should I expect to narrow it down to that? wont it flah the same code if it is? 

Is there also just the one airbag module for the mk1 focus? some cars have a passenger and a main.

Thanks again, will report if I find anything.

Well i had another play with the seatbelt connections, spray of wd40, still flashing a code.

Today I thought frig it, this doesn't make sense that I bought a new (apparently ok) airbag module for a tenner, I unscrewed it out and replaced it with my OLD module. battery back on and so far, no air bag light. its been sat in the sun for a few days so no idea what the original problem was, maybe moisture making the circuit go nuts? 

Anyway if it comes on again (I very much expectto see it make a return :dry:, just hopefully not before MOT) I have been quoted 40 quid to get a proper code if it does. Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

Highly likely that there was an earthing problem then.

IIRC the airbag module earth is via it's mounting bolts directly to the car body so swapping it back may have settled the problem (hopefully permanently).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club