Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Immobiliser paired with instrument binnacle ??!

Wife's Wheels

Hi all,

So, easy question first...then it gets more testing !

Q:  Is the Focus' immobilser "coding" paired with the instrument binnacle ??

Here's the background to the harder question:

- Wife's 2007 1.6 diesel Focus (to-date, an excellent motor....hard as nails, and reliable up to the present 180k miles), developed a fault where multiple dashboard lights would illuminate briefly, resulting in a short loss of power.   The "multiple lights" include (but may not be limited to):  battery, immobiliser, handbrake, "exclamation" light.  

I've not experienced / replicated it, but it has tended to happen when the vehicle has warmed up (maybe 10/15 mins into a journey).   Once the lights have briefly illuminated and then gone-off, the power resumes.  However, it's happening more frequently, hence the remedy has become more urgent.

My solution

I purchased a new (used) instrument binnacle from another Focus and fitted it today.   However (!) it appears the vehicle no longer accepts the keys previously used, and that the immobiliser is preventing the vehicle from starting.

The Hard Question

Assuming the new (used) binnacle is "paired" with it's own coded keys (and that the keys for my wife's motor are "paired" with the faulty old binnacle), can the new/used binnacle be freshly "paired" with the current keys, or must we get new keys to match the new/used binnacle ??   I notice there are some "ports" for electrical connectors into the back of the binnacle once the rear cover is removed (numbered "19" and "20" and 'pwr" I think)....can these be used via a laptop with the correct software and cables  - a bit like an OBDII, to program the binnacle ?

Brucie Bonus Question

The new/used binnacle shows a lower mileage than our vehicle's current 180k miles...can the correct 180k mileage be programmed into the new/used binnacle ??

Would be impressed if both questions were answered, but very pleased if anyone could answer one !

Cheers, please and thanks.  Jon 

The binnacle (cluster) needs to be coded to match the ECU and keys, they all form part of the immobiliser system.

The mileage can be coded forward (but not back).

For both you need someone / a garage with access to an IDS programming module.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

it would have been cheaper and easier to send the faulty binnacle to bba reman to get fixed and soldered first

• Like 1

As above the mileage can be written upwards to the true figure of your car.

The keys need reprogramming to he used HEC and from memory the ECU and new HEC need pairing if I remember correctly.

Can't see where you are on the mobile web version. Where are you as there may be someone local who can help you out otherwise it's a garage that has access to Ford IDS as stated. 

• Like 1

If your fairly PC literate then a modified ELM327 interface with Elmconfig and Forscan is also a possibility.

You can now add keys with Forscan and copy your HEC information over with Elmconfig.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

The binnacle (cluster) needs to be coded to match the ECU and keys, they all form part of the immobiliser system.

The mileage can be coded forward (but not back).

For both you need someone / a garage with access to an IDS programming module.

I thought that might be the case Stoney871...albeit from logic rather than experience (that you clearly have in spades)...thanks a million for taking the time to let me know.  I've contacted the local Ford dealer (Bray, Co Wicklow)...they might not be able to work on (ie supply new keys and program new/used cluster), but are gonna come back to me with a cost to replace with a new cluster.....so am expecting a large enough quote after a conversation with them today.

From a couple of other responses from lads on the site here, I might look further into "programming" the new cluster myself, if it's practical to do so, and the kit needed isn't more than the quote for a brand new cluster from Ford.

Would you be familiar with the process for ordering replacement keys from Ford that are compatible with the re-programmed new/used cluster ?

Like I mentioned - if it does come to paying for a new cluster.... we can't moan, as it's the first drama in 180k miles.   Cheers once again.

14 hours ago, artscot79 said:

it would have been cheaper and easier to send the faulty binnacle to bba reman to get fixed and soldered first

Ah, with the benefit of a hindsight Arscot79 - I have no doubt you are right.   Had kidded myself it was just a matter of replacing a faulty part with a working part :dry:

PS...Not familiar with "BBA" ?  Am located in Co Wicklow, Ireland...is BBA a UK firm ??

You also have ClustersUK, usually about £100 to recondition and check clusters.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, simcor said:

As above the mileage can be written upwards to the true figure of your car.

The keys need reprogramming to he used HEC and from memory the ECU and new HEC need pairing if I remember correctly.

Can't see where you are on the mobile web version. Where are you as there may be someone local who can help you out otherwise it's a garage that has access to Ford IDS as stated. 

If your fairly PC literate then a modified ELM327 interface with Elmconfig and Forscan is also a possibility.

You can now add keys with Forscan and copy your HEC information over with Elmconfig.

Not familiar (yet), with HEC Simcor, "ELM327" "Elmconfig" nor "Forscan"...but will be visiting Youtube shortly in case I can acquire them and presumably the cabling for connectivity (to a laptop ? or OBDII handheld ?).   Of course there's a concern that I'll "wipe the ECU" and render the vehicle useless - but will certainly do some research to see if this is within the realms of my ability !   Appreciate your advice regardless :smile:

PS - am located in County Wicklow, Ireland.  Have been in touch with a helpful fella at the local Ford dealer....tho he thinks that they are unlikely to assist with re-programming a "new"(used) replacement cluster and are likely only to quote for supply and fitting of a new unit (not so cheap !).  Cheers.

An ELM327 interface is around 15 quid. elmconfig and Forscan are free software.

HEC stands for Hybrid electrical cluster or in other words instrument panel.

I haven't used Forscan to add a key myself but others have as I use Ford IDS for that.

For a new HEC and diagnostics to set it up I doubt you will be looking at less than £400-500 as a cluster is around £350 new they are not cheap. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club