Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

email scam

jace1969

Yesterday i had a email regarding i owe a firm some money and the payment was overdue,its some sort of industrial firm.

I have traced the firm online and it gives you a picture and a number/address so got all that but 2 numbers,1 just rings and other engaged.

Printed the 2 pieces of paper out and the link as when i go onto the link it says put in a 6 digit number which it gives to open to look at invoice but

my security Blocks the link (Red cross) job and also how the hell has this place/scam got my full address/name.

Going down Natwest to give them the printed stuff as they want me to send money as they have no way of getting it off me.

Anyone had anything like this lately off email.

I get scam emails daily to my work and personal email addresses.

Not normally got the address, but then I don't open 99% of them to know.

A good scour across the internet could dig up the info, or if you are not ex-directory. Sometimes these scammers just get lucky with their info.

Pure scam.

It's easy to get personal details off the electoral register and often online companies sell on personal details.

Even if you are ex-directory BT sell on phone numbers unless you opt into TPS.

I think the going rate is £15 per 1000 numbers.

Spam block the emails and use TPS to stop nuisance calls.

Be aware that there are some companies online that charge for putting you on TPS which itself is a scam, TPS is free if you go to the official website.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

UPDATE

Been to natwest and they gave me a place to send the email to but its not worth it as natwest cant do a lot as its not linked to them.

Rang up the firm about it and they said they are getting 100's a day off these emails the same saying people owe them money and its a scam.

As for hitting a link i didn't hit a link it was just on a normal email what you open with my name/address on the main email.

After like i fool i tried as it said   ''for the outstanding invoice go to this link''  not for payment so didn't think anything wrong,got BLOCKED by my security.

It states that the person who sent the email is acting for this big firm to collect outstanding amount so not the firm to blame that i rang.

I have saved the email so got the time and date etc when sent to me and i hate things like this.

In the end i did send the email to the Natwest scam/fraud team so they had a copy as my local Branch says to do this for

protection being a customer.

My step dad got one last night him and my mum thought it was genuine because both the business listed are legitimate businesses. Fortunately my mum told me and I checked it out and told them to ignore it.

You can forward the scam email to http://www.actionfraud.police.uk

They deal with online scams and try to get then shut down and interrupt their methods and try to find the perps.

Always worth forwarding them on you never know. Not to mention letting people know.

• Like 1

This is why i sent it to a place called 'phishing@natwest.com' and spoke direct to NatWest scam/fraud people.

My NatWest branch gave me this address and the person on the phone did,its there Fraud protection place

This is why i put it on here for all to know about but got to say the firm i rang was good,never gave him any details at all not even name.

I will await to see if i get any feedback from NatWest and i never clicked on anything to send or to put any payment details at all in.

Another thing im doing is updating my Security as this Avast is good as it blocked this link but looking at a good paid one like Norton.

• Like 1

Norton is rubbish if you want a good one try Eset I find it very good and a lot of people say good things about Eset.

Norton is almost as bad as Vauxhall ! 

• Like 1

Norton is very resource heavy and a right pain to uninstall.

I had Norton 360 a few years back and the email scanning module kept crashing without notifications and blocking emails altogether.

Sent from my SM-G930F

This Avast works very good and so great reviews on the free one,did have Norton ages ago and was a pain then.

My mate has Bull guard the paid one and that seems top of there about.

Could do with getting one a paid one what covers it all,  Email/Anti-virus/Firewall/Spam/Mailware etc. but loads out there.

The thing was there is no way to send this person money on through the so called ''invoice link'' that was blocked.

UPDATE

This email is going round everywhere,even made the BBC news on my App saying loads of firms are being linked to it.

If you hit the link it puts a virus into your p.c then it says you have to pay a cost to make your p.c work,good job i sent it to NatWest scam/Fraud then.

Just deleted it all and a full virus scan/mailware and found nothing,got to say something,I rate Avast free as that blocked the link as like a complete fool

I tried to open it as all it said was a link to an invoice,there is some good stuff for free then.

best advice to offer - if you are not expecting a bill - dont bother with it. 

If you are unsure, or want to play it cautious, find the name and google the company name, contact them via phone / email and that should confirm its legit or otherwise. 99.9% of the time its not legit.

One thing I observed though, if you buy something from Germany, 9 times out of 10, they will a few weeks later send you an invoice, that is genuine. Review the country of origin, and ensure you havent bought anything from there if you see such emails.

29 minutes ago, jeebowhite said:

best advice to offer - if you are not expecting a bill - dont bother with it. 

If you are unsure, or want to play it cautious, find the name and google the company name, contact them via phone / email and that should confirm its legit or otherwise. 99.9% of the time its not legit.

One thing I observed though, if you buy something from Germany, 9 times out of 10, they will a few weeks later send you an invoice, that is genuine. Review the country of origin, and ensure you havent bought anything from there if you see such emails.

That what i did right a way in a mood thinking ''you what'' i owe you money,the old Google and ring the firm direct.

I was a bit thick to try and open it but i just thought when it said invoice i thought well what was i suppose to buy..Dumb or what.

Avast saved my day.

• Like 1

Never open links from unsolicited emails.

I recently had one purportedly from a debt agency saying I owe Barclays £3500 for an unpaid loan.

I have never had any business with Barclays but sent the email to their fraud department so they are aware of the situation and can investigate it themselves.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

Invoice fraud is rife at the moment not just to individuals like you and your parents but also to companies. Often they appear to be from real companies asking for a payment of to change the bank account for future payments. These scum are very clever at making folks believe the message but they are just thieves. As mentioned before you should report this to Action Fraud at City of London police. The more reports they receive the better their intel will be and the more chance of catching them.

Stay safe

• Like 2

Aye our super duper email filtering system which is supposed to work the same way as clives dogs noses keeps letting them through. One guy opened a virus on his pc because this was an invoice from the dvsa for a speeding ticket... He recently got caught speeding and thought it was related and only after did he ask around what the macro was for... Some of them look better than the real thing. These people making virus are often of exceptional intelligence, half the time if a criminal could put that brain of theirs to good use, they would be a companies foundation and best asset. Such creativity and intelligence would be welcome in a workplace but sadly they use their nouse in all the wrong ways

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Yes well 90% fooled me as never seen it before but as i always try and put thing on here like this it will pass on the problem

and try and help others,but don't be as slow as me and open it,its that thing when you see a button and says''do not press'' you think why,shall i.

Well if Avast free blocked it and being a free program but top in most places i was amazed,might just get the paid version of that as it does work.

Got to say cheers to a lot on here as well shining a bit of light onto this invoice scam as never heard of this before just the normal stuff off email.

• Like 2

Ok now i have a lucky escape a few days ago what is the best security package,i know a lot of people will say a lot of choices but

what do you use and dont slow your p.c down,would like it to cover all the mail things ( virus/firewall/mailware/spam/i.p protection/email)

Just got Bullguard for half price as friend got it and very good reviews,it has a lot of stuff on it.

Also i still have Avast running and seem to run ok side by side so leaving them both do there job.

Not a good idea running two side by side. They can interfere with each other.

Just stick to the one.

• Like 1

thats primarily for firewalls, Antivirus can be used as a double resiliance.

Most AV companies have a plugin for your browser, which will identify a risky page and by default block you gaining access to it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Not a good idea running two side by side. They can interfere with each other.

Just stick to the one.

Oh ok,Avast must go then,what will it do just not work as good or just slow things down as they seem to run smooth now.

Is it ok to leave the 2 firewalls and spam filters as well,windows firewall is still on and Microsoft office outlook spam filter is on.

6 hours ago, jeebowhite said:

thats primarily for firewalls, Antivirus can be used as a double resiliance.

Most AV companies have a plugin for your browser, which will identify a risky page and by default block you gaining access to it.

Most modern anti virus do more than just viruses. They can interfere with each other, especially if they have system level monitoring. On newer OSes there are also hooks for them to securely load without tampering and I wouldn't like to think what would happen if they fought over that boot hook.

You're much better off using using one decent av. The best at the moment are kaspersky, avira and bitdefender.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Most modern anti virus do more than just viruses. They can interfere with each other, especially if they have system level monitoring. On newer OSes there are also hooks for them to securely load without tampering and I wouldn't like to think what would happen if they fought over that boot hook.

You're much better off using using one decent av. The best at the moment are kaspersky, avira and bitdefender.

I just got bullguard for half price so trying that,read a few reviews and seem always 4 out of 5 or 5 on some.

Runs nice and quiet in the back ground and don't slow it down,got a lot for the money so we will see,Avast was good for free but

only had a few things like no firewall or spam filter and no pc clean up just the Anti-virus.

While im on this subject of security and stuff i have a weird thing with my windows 10 firewall.

Must of been when i installed it as the

On the private one its says Not Connected which is for home but has the green tick to say its on.

But the Guest or Public it says Connected and has my 5G connection is there when i do the drop down box

They are all Green ticked to say there on so did i mix them up like got them the wrong way round when i installed window ages ago,still work ok.

Its always used at home and 99% on wifi,just a thing i have just seen.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club