Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide on how to remove the plastic foglght surrounds

rocky1722

I've finally managed to remove my foglight covers in readiness for spraying them satin black.

Once you removed the surrounds you see that they're quite easy to remove however it's one of those fiddly jobs that looks easier than it actually is.

DSC04671.jpg

Foglight surround as viewed from behind

DSC04673.jpg

View of one of the 4 retaining tabs

DSC04677a.jpg

View of the drivers side foglight with the plastic surround removed

Firstly the car would be better raised up at the front for easier access from underneath.

1. From underneath the car, raise slighty and push the rear of retaining tab no.1 (the bottom of the foglight surround). You will probably find that tab no.2 has released itself. If not push it from behind in the same way as you did with tab no.1.

2. I placed a doubled up piece of kitchen roll under the released tab no.1 (bottom one) to save it from possibly scratching your paintwork.

3. Again from underneath the car push the rear of retaining tab no.3 (the top of the foglight surround). It probably worth having a 2nd person to help gently pull the foglight surround from the front.

4. Now push the rear of retaining tab no.4 (the long side nearest the outside wing). This retaining tab seems quite difficult to push out due to the 2 pronged tab that locates against the plastic foglight surround. Again the 2nd person comes in handy at this point to help pull gently from the front.

That should be the surround off. You'll probably find the drivers side has easier access from underneath the car as the passengers side has the screenwash bottle in the way but you can manage to get your arm into the back ....... just!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Stephen.

Whoops I've spelt foglight wrong in the title and can't seem to change it in the edit function. :(

Could an administrator manage to change it incase someone is searching for any posts regarding 'foglight'. ;)

Cheers,

Stephen.

u dont kno the best way 2 change your fog lights doo you ?

guna have a goo changin them this week as my bubles have come :D

u dont kno the best way 2 change your fog lights doo you ?

Sorry I'm afraid not Danny, something I'm not intending doing. :rolleyes:

Sorry I'm afraid not Danny, something I'm not intending doing. :rolleyes:

haha oki thanks eny wey :)

think i will take it my mates garage and get it up on ramp see if i can get at them from underneath :D

Whoops I've spelt foglight wrong in the title and can't seem to change it in the edit function. :(

Could an administrator manage to change it incase someone is searching for any posts regarding 'foglight'. ;)

Cheers,

Stephen.

welcome to the spelling club member no 2 card in the post for you and also a list on where to buy discounted spelling books ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

haha oki thanks eny wey :)

think i will take it my mates garage and get it up on ramp see if i can get at them from underneath :D

I changed mine when I took the headlights out to change the bulbs in them too. ;)

I could have done with this thread a couple of weeks ago before changing my fog light surrounds from plastic ones to chrome ones. Did pretty much the same as you, raised the car, crawled underneath and unclipped them to remove. Not quite as easy as I had first though, but got there in the end!

Not quite as easy as I had first thought, but got there in the end!

Agree with you there, a bit of a fiddly job but should be worth it in the end. ;)

I've finally managed to remove my foglight covers in readiness for spraying them satin black.

Once you removed the surrounds you see that they're quite easy to remove however it's one of those fiddly jobs that looks easier than it actually is.

DSC04671.jpg

Foglight surround as viewed from behind

DSC04673.jpg

View of one of the 4 retaining tabs

DSC04677a.jpg

View of the drivers side foglight with the plastic surround removed

Firstly the car would be better raised up at the front for easier access from underneath.

1. From underneath the car, raise slighty and push the rear of retaining tab no.1 (the bottom of the foglight surround). You will probably find that tab no.2 has released itself. If not push it from behind in the same way as you did with tab no.1.

2. I placed a doubled up piece of kitchen roll under the released tab no.1 (bottom one) to save it from possibly scratching your paintwork.

3. Again from underneath the car push the rear of retaining tab no.3 (the top of the foglight surround). It probably worth having a 2nd person to help gently pull the foglight surround from the front.

4. Now push the rear of retaining tab no.4 (the long side nearest the outside wing). This retaining tab seems quite difficult to push out due to the 2 pronged tab that locates against the plastic foglight surround. Again the 2nd person comes in handy at this point to help pull gently from the front.

That should be the surround off. You'll probably find the drivers side has easier access from underneath the car as the passengers side has the screenwash bottle in the way but you can manage to get your arm into the back ....... just!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Stephen.

Well that's the small front top grille, the big bottom grille and the foglight surrounds away for spraying satin black.

We took off the front bumper to make sure we didn't break any clips off the grilles if we just pulled.

Will post pics up in a few weeks once they're fitted to the car again. ;)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club