Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering rack replacement -

FordRob392

Hi Guys,

I took my 2006 Fiesta to the garage at the weekend for a steering rack replacement. The replacement sorted out the problems I was having (clunk/sticking in steering, pulling left, etc), however the noise of the car now sounds completely different (very noisy in the cabin overall, and a pulsing noise like a grasshopper, especially at low speeds!).

I think the overall increase in engine noise is simply that they have left a gap at the bottom of the steering column so I can hear the engine much more. After the replacement, the hole in the floor of the car at the bottom of the steering column (just under the U-joint) now has a gap big enough for me to stick a couple of fingers through and touch the underside of the car. I can shine a light through it and see it under the car, and a small breeze comes through as I drive along. The hole itself is the same size, but the top of the rack isn't "flush" with the hole, so there is a gap of a couple of cm between the floor of the car and the black disk of the top of the rack. Can I ask the rest of you if this is the same in your Fiesta's or if the repair has been done incorrectly? Is there a gaiter or a gasket to seal this hole? The garage are talking about putting on something like a CV boot to seal it, but this sounds like a bodge job to me.

I suppose the pulsing noise could have already been there and now I have just noticed it due to the increase in noise. However I don't think it was there, so does anyone have any ideas? They say they didn't change the hydraulic pump system, or take off the exhaust manifold.

Many thanks,

Rob

Take it back and get them to fix it.

There is a rather large grommet that fits over the pinion drive of the steering rack that ensures a seal between the rack and the bulkhead when the rack is bolted back into situ.

It seems to me that whoever fitted your rack forgot to put this onto the new steering rack.

Don't accept their CV boot bodge job. Take it back to them and demand that they repair it correctly.

Thanks guys. 

As an update, I took it back and asked them to fix it, pointing out the lack of the grommet/seal on the new rack. Left the car with them yesterday and came back to pick it up today. They had decided it would be good enough to just glue the old foam (no plastic housing) from the old rack onto the bottom of the car and then stuffed some matting into the hole from the cabin side. NOT HAPPY.

Gave the car straight back to them and even showed them they needed the seal, which after looking online seems to be this:

(https://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_fiesta__fusion_2001_steering_column_gaiter_seal_f_4496211_c_690.htm)

They admitted the old rack had one but the new rack didn't, but they hadn't been able to get the old one off! Told me they are just going to put a whole new rack in as they can't be sure they would get the right seal for the new rack.

Imbeciles. 

Thanks for the advice anyway, it has helped me check I wasn't going mad!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club