Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk6 Hesitation problem

markus250

Hi all,

We've had our mk6 fiesta 1.4 duratec for almost a week now and every so often when you are pulling off, the car seems to hesitate a little and then jump into life again and all is back to normal. Also on two occasions it has juddered a little while sat at the lights.

Anyone have any ideas? Car has only done 13k genuine and has been serviced although i don't know what was done.

Dealer is located just under 100miles from home so if its something simple to sort its worth sorting without going back to the dealer.

Like i say, it only happens every so often. We did a 70mile round trip today and it did it twice. No engine light comes on or anything.

Cheers,

Mark

From my recent experience I'd try a new coil pack and plugs first.

Coil pack is easy to replace and about £25 on eBay.

if anything like the focus, stay well away from cheap after market coil packs. they are known to fail very quickly and can also damage other things like the ecu etc...

the same goes for spark plugs and ht leads (again not sure about fiesta) the focus can be very picky about these and doesnt seem to be entertained by cheap parts.

Cheers for the replies!

I spoke to a ford garage near me and they suggested the same given my symptoms but if it was the coil and plugs wouldn't it do it all the time? My car only does this every so often, maybe just twice in an hours drive?

I have a diagnostic reader and that shows no codes stored so thats at least one good thing.

Mark :)

Cheers for the replies!

I spoke to a ford garage near me and they suggested the same given my symptoms but if it was the coil and plugs wouldn't it do it all the time? My car only does this every so often, maybe just twice in an hours drive?

I have a diagnostic reader and that shows no codes stored so thats at least one good thing.

My 03 Fiesta had an occasional judder from new, whenever I took it in for service and asked them to look at it they couldn't find a problem.

I found a post on here and someone suggested the coil pack (the other suggestion of a new durashift EST gearbox was almost as much as the car is worth) so I gave it a go and its been amazing ever since. Car definitely has more power and is a pleasure to drive.

Its simple to change and wish I'd done it years ago. Apart from a spanner to remove the air filter you will need a Torx drive (T25) to remove the pack.

D.

Cheers for the replies!

no fault codes is not neccessarily a good thing, a code will give you an indication of where the problem lies atleast. the car can be running poor but doesnt always trigger a fault code or warning light providing the readings are still within the parameters.

coil packs tend to play up more when they get hot, so i wouldnt rule it out yet.

no fault codes is not neccessarily a good thing, a code will give you an indication of where the problem lies atleast. the car can be running poor but doesnt always trigger a fault code or warning light providing the readings are still within the parameters.

coil packs tend to play up more when they get hot, so i wouldnt rule it out yet.

I only checked the fault codes in case some had been stored from an earlier fault at some point in the cars life. Could've been an indication of a problem if there were any codes stored. Engine light hasn't come on at all so i knew there'd be no recent fault codes.

Will have to try the coil pack and leads. I'll check sparkplug condition and gap first though as that doesn't cost anything! :D

Mark

I only checked the fault codes in case some had been stored from an earlier fault at some point in the cars life. Could've been an indication of a problem if there were any codes stored. Engine light hasn't come on at all so i knew there'd be no recent fault codes.

Will have to try the coil pack and leads. I'll check sparkplug condition and gap first though as that doesn't cost anything! :D

Mark

like you say spark plugs are the cheapest and easiest bit to start with, only about £10-£12 from ford for replacements if you need them

I had this problem and the coil pack fixed it. The problem however came back with a vengence the following year, again coil pack solved it. Apparently water leaks through the washer fittings and drips onto the pack causing the problem. I put sealent on the underside of the washers to see if that worked, but sold the car soon after so I can't give you a follow up! If you look into it, ford added sealing around the washers for the facelift version. The problem obviously didn't go un-noticed!

SO my advice, change the coil pack and talk to your dealer about fittings for the windscreen washers!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club