Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Handbrake Release Button Problem

fordie67

Hello All,

I have a 2005 plate Focus (MK2), well the silver plastic handbrake release button has basically disintegrated. Well I have been told that all I need is a replacement plastic button from a ford dealers which I now have.

The question is it looks as though all I simply need to do is remove the black moulding which has the notches for the fingers. Does it simply slide off with a bit of "persuasion" with a hammer and block of wood or are there some hidden fixings which have to be removed first?

Thanks in advance of any help given.

Hello All,

I have a 2005 plate Focus (MK2), well the silver plastic handbrake release button has basically disintegrated. Well I have been told that all I need is a replacement plastic button from a ford dealers which I now have.

The question is it looks as though all I simply need to do is remove the black moulding which has the notches for the fingers. Does it simply slide off with a bit of "persuasion" with a hammer and block of wood or are there some hidden fixings which have to be removed first?

Thanks in advance of any help given.

not sure about the mk2 but with the mk1 you had t cut the handle off which meant getting an aftermarket handle thatcould be screwed in place

not sure about the mk2 but with the mk1 you had t cut the handle off which meant getting an aftermarket handle thatcould be screwed in place

Thanks for that artscot79 but have now found that all you have to do is remove the old button by breaking it up with a screwdiver or cutting it with a hacksaw and then removing it without breaking the little plastic barb clips on the handbrake mechanism. Once this is done the new one simply pushes on, just make that you push it squarely and that the longer edge of the button goes uppermost. It should go with a nice click once in place.

Takes about 10 minutes.

• 2 months later...

Hi

i have the same problem on my 05 focus, just wondering how much the button costs from the ford main dealer?

Kind Regards

JD

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club