Do Not Sell My Personal Information

16 Inch Wheels On The Fiesta Titanium Mk7

amarokuk

Hahahaha I wrote on this thread just the other month that all mine was tip top now in one night I got a screw in my front tire costing £15 to fix and hit a curb on the back drivers side going into a car park to see what was in my front tire.£150 for new wheel from ford. :angry:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• savcom

• amarokuk

• pHiLLMaTiC

• richard 1982

Ok i've had this Mk 7 Ford Fiesta Zetec S brand new for 18 months and i have to say the drive is disappointing as its nowhere near as nice to drive as the mk 1 ford focus zetec. Its in its electric steering, it vibrates its not nicely weighted enough and i had the tracking done recently at an independant..

Complained to Ford and they once again did the tracking and it improved, (still lots of vibration though) and they told me to my surprise that i had 3 buckled alloys.

alloys are the big 17" ones you get with street pack. I told them i never ever had a car with buckled alloys before and i've owned loads of cars.

Once again i have gone over a minor pothole that would not phase most other cars and again i can feel the tracking is definitely out again.

I just want rid of this car now i don't want the expense and i don't enjoy driving it anymore as my eyes are just looking for potholes no matter how small!!!

You can add me to the list. I havnt checked all four alloys but one clearly is buckled from inside. 2009 16' titanium 7 spoke (not sure what brand but its 195/45/R16)

You can add me to the list. I havnt checked all four alloys but one clearly is buckled from inside. 2009 16' titanium 7 spoke (not sure what brand but its 195/45/R16)

Yeah so annoying the constant shudder that goes through the cabin, i don't want to buy a new set and the same thing to happen again, im i going really square!? im even looking at changing it for a Skoda Fabia, apparently manufacturers of happy drivers lol :) This is my last ford

Yeah so annoying the constant shudder that goes through the cabin, i don't want to buy a new set and the same thing to happen again, im i going really square!? im even looking at changing it for a Skoda Fabia, apparently manufacturers of happy drivers lol :) This is my last ford

mine is buckled but there are no problems with driving even at high speeds so i am not worried. However if had buckled alloy I would definately not go with ford's alloys and probably got new set.

mine is buckled but there are no problems with driving even at high speeds so i am not worried. However if had buckled alloy I would definately not go with ford's alloys and probably got new set.

Yeah but i like the look of the ST style ones ive got.. and worried the others wont look as good as i have this thing about things not being original, nothing against others doing the same though :)

Happy to add more to this. Would appreciate as much info as possible (in a PM if you want) so that we can build up a clearer picture here. The info I would like is:

• Type of Fiesta
  • Reg year
  • How many miles when wheels were buckled (approx, in thousands)
  • Type of alloy fitted
  • Tyre size/make if known
  • How many wheels buckled so far

Note - if this does proceed, we may need proof that you have purchased replacement alloys. Can I ask, therefore, that you let me know how many wheels you've replaced and that you are prepared to back this up with paperwork if required. Next, we need to discuss what we do with the information now we have it. For example:

• Do we re-apply to Watchdog?
  • Do we contact Ford Customer Support?
  • Do we start a campaign on other web forums?
  • Do we make our own case?
  • Any or All of the above?

How many of us are needed on the table before we have a good enough case? Bear in mind the millions of Fiestas that have been shipped, and we are so far about 25 owners. Ford will likely want more examples before they will consider us. Are there any legally trained people here that can suggest ways forward?

Savcom

Happy to add more to this. Would appreciate as much info as possible (in a PM if you want) so that we can build up a clearer picture here. The info I would like is:

• Type of Fiesta
  • Reg year
  • How many miles when wheels were buckled (approx, in thousands)
  • Type of alloy fitted
  • Tyre size/make if known
  • How many wheels buckled so far

Note - if this does proceed, we may need proof that you have purchased replacement alloys. Can I ask, therefore, that you let me know how many wheels you've replaced and that you are prepared to back this up with paperwork if required. Next, we need to discuss what we do with the information now we have it. For example:

• Do we re-apply to Watchdog?
  • Do we contact Ford Customer Support?
  • Do we start a campaign on other web forums?
  • Do we make our own case?
  • Any or All of the above?

How many of us are needed on the table before we have a good enough case? Bear in mind the millions of Fiestas that have been shipped, and we are so far about 25 owners. Ford will likely want more examples before they will consider us. Are there any legally trained people here that can suggest ways forward?

Savcom

Just PM'ed you my details, let me know if i have missed anything :)

Could either this or a new dedicated thread be stickied? May attract more attention that way.

Could either this or a new dedicated thread be stickied? May attract more attention that way.

I wondered about that but I thought I'd look at some statistics first and share them with you:

• Currently 7,500 views yet only 25 people have registered buckled alloys on this collection.
  • 103,000 new Ford Fiestas were sold in the UK in 2010 (Source: Top Gear)
  • Ford Fiesta reliability is 'not bad' - with no specific Alloy or wheel problem shown (Source: Reliability Index)
  • Reading the posts above, potholes seem to be the biggest single cause of the buckled wheels reported here

Given this, I looked at potholes in more depth (excuse the pun):

A few articles you maybe should read:

Pothole misery costs drivers £1.2billion - Potholes have caused more than £1.2billion worth of damage to over ten MILLION cars, a study claims. Around one in three British motorists has suffered damage from a dodgy road surface, costing an average of £121 to repair. The study, commissioned by Continental Tyres, also found over two million drivers have endured a near miss with another vehicle or pedestrian due to potholes.

UK Survey Shows Most Pothole-Affected CountiesStatistics released by [Kia]'s dealer network has indicated a surge in pothole-inflicted damage for 2010 - in some areas, suspension failure, damaged rims and split tire cases have increased by 150 percent. The average repair bill for a pothole damage totals 750 pounds sterling.

The main cause of the road damage’s spreading is the fact that the recent winter was the coldest the UK has seen in the last 30 years. This issue is doubled by the overaged tarmac in Britain - statistics show that an 8.5 billion pounds would be necessary to rehabilitate the country’s roads.

Pothole invasion adds to car insurance increase misery

With road maintenance being massively under-funded throughout much of the UK, car insurance quotes are set to escalate in response to the increasing number of claims arising from incidents involving potholes. Estimated at costing the nation’s motorists a whopping £320 million each year, potholes are an ongoing problem that is unlikely to ever be resolved, and as there are even more of them appearing since the recent cold snap, the chance of finding a cheap car insurance quote looks likely to remain slim for many years to come in the UK.

2010: The Year of The Potholes!

... Admiral asked survey participants if they had sustained damage to their vehicles as a result of potholes. A surprising 38% reported that they had sustained damage to their vehicles as a result of potholes in the road. Even more surprising, participants in Scotland topped the list of those sustaining vehicle damage, with 58% of Scottish respondents claiming vehicle damage due to potholes, far ahead of every other region in the UK.

Unfortunately, people who have sustained vehicle damage as a result of potholes will likely not be able to claim damages from the councils who are responsible for our road conditions. Admiral insurance claim statistics show an increase in pothole claims by customers this year. In 2010, the number of claims made due to pothole damage was double the number of claims made in 2009.

If all this wasn't bad enough, according to The Asphalt Industry Alliance (AIA), the number of filled-in potholes in 2010 was 1.2million. That was over twice the number of potholes filled in in 2007 (589,000). So, despite the improving efforts of our councils, we still have an incredibly bad network of roads in the UK - exacerbated by the two extremely cold winters and years of under investment.

potholestats.jpg

Where am I going with all this? I'm not sure. Statistically, I am not sure the Fiesta is any worse than other cars over the last 18 months. There does not seem to be any significant alloy wheel problem that I have found apart from on this site. (Prove me wrong! <_< ) The larger surveys point to increased insurance claims, larger numbers of potholes cos of bad winters and a nationwide problem with road underinvestment. They don't single out any particular make or model. Indeed, I would wager that you're noticing damage because your previous car was driven when the roads were not as bad - so you were less likely to suffer.

Perhaps we should be changing our attack? So:

Report those potholes:

Fill That Hole

Potholes

Fix My Street

Claim for pothole damage:

(Compare and Save) How To Claim

(Potholes) - How to claim

And perhaps drive defensively (i.e. slow down a bit and allow a bit more space in front of you so that you can see and react to the potholes?)

Open to reactions from you all. <_<

(lights blue touch paper and runs and hides... :unsure: )

• 4 months later...

Hi

All four of my titanium alloy wheels are also buckled.

I felt vibration through the steering wheel and through the floor so i had the wheels balanced and to my shock all four are buckled.

I saw it for my self as i had a mobile tyre fitter balance them and i saw the buckle bob up and down ARRRRGHG

They are fully balanced now but iam not buying four (4) new alloys i will leave it as it is as i cannot afford £600 on wheels.

Surely we should do something about these crappy soft metal alloy wheels i have never had this problem before with my previous fiestas (6)

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Yes my shiney 6months old Fiesta Titanium went in this week to have the vibration checked out, and guess what 4 badly buckled alloys. with a smile from ear to ear the fitter informed me they wanted £730 to replace them, I duly informed him I have been driving 46 years and never buckled a wheel, now i have managed to buckle 4 on the same car without any suspension damage !! I would have had to drop the car from the roof of the house to do that type of damage.so another set of inferior alloys at £730 to go the same road in a month or two is not happening.Ford are 100% responsible in my book, and its up to them to put it right.The battle has just started.

Stevenj

Add another 3 for me 16" titanium Im damn sure havent hit any potholes big enough to damage my wheels. Been driving 28 years this is the first car Ive had problems with wheels looks like some aftermarket alloys for me certainly wont be buying off ford.

I think the new style of alloy must be a lot better, I don't think we've had anyone yet complain of those ones being buckled.

I think the new style of alloy must be a lot better, I don't think we've had anyone yet complain of those ones being buckled.

I hope this is the case and that they're a better quality than all the others :unsure:

• 4 years later...