• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Name: Wilco
  • Ford Model: Focus MK3 Champions Edition
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Yes, It is no problem to replace a 4M5T module with a 7M5T module. I have done this myself. The connectors are exactly the same but some of the connectors are on other locations at the module so you may have to re-locate the wiring loom to make it fit perfectly.

The 4M5T modules are replaced by the 7M5T modules. You can't buy the 4M5T modules anymore from a Ford dealership.

I have searched for info for the part number of your GEM module but there is no info available anymore for this part number. Probably because it's an older part that is replaced bij the newer 7M5T module.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#1037 FekuFord

FekuFord

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Ford Model: Kuga Titanium X
Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

Thanks - that's really helpful.

Do all 7M5T units work with cruise control?

FuF.

#1038 021C

021C

6'7" Focus Driver

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Name: Stu
  • Ford Model: 1.8 TDCI Focus Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hi,

I purchased a cable last week and stupidly rushed in and added the switch before testing. I didn't have time or daylight over christmas to try it on the car and have run into a bit of a problem.

When I attached the cable to the car and run ELM-FF2 I receive a CAN ERROR (below). I assumed that I has wired the switch up incorrectly. However, on returning the cable to its original state I still receive the same error when attempting to read the configuration. Any ideas?

It may be that the laptop I'm using is the problem - fresh Win 7 install. However, I have the drivers installed, com port set and bit rate set at 38400.

I have 2 other laptops I can try - Win 7 and old XP if that helps??

Thanks in advance

* ŒÚÍ˚Ú ÔÓÚ COM3
* ◊ÚÂÌË ÍÓÌÙË„Û‡ˆËË ËÁ ÏÓ‰ÛΡ IPC (Control panel)
> ATZ
< ELM327 v1.5
> ATSP6
< OK
> ATSH720
< OK
> 1087
< CAN ERROR
! ÃÓ‰Ûθ Ì ÓÚ‚ÂÚËÎ ËÎË ÓÚÒÛÚÒÚ‚ÛÂÚ
* ◊ÚÂÌË ÍÓÌÙË„Û&#63743;‡ˆËË ËÁ ÏÓ‰ÛÎ&#711; BCM (GEM ÏÓ‰Ûθ) [◊‡ÒÚ¸ 1]
> ATZ
< ELM327 v1.5
> ATSPB
< OK
> ATSH726
< OK
> 1087
< CAN ERROR
! ÃÓ‰Ûθ Ì ÓÚ‚ÂÚËÎ ËÎË ÓÚÒÛÚÒÚ‚ÛÂÚ

#1039 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

You may have wired it incorrect in the beginning and then returning it to original state you may have the wires the wrong way around.

Can Error is usually when it's in the incorrect switch position , so if you cable is not working in original position under HEC then switch the two wires , it then it works you can go back to wiring it correctly.

But the fault is not the PC or windows 7

The switch in Original State will Read and write to HEC module, wired in switch will allow it to Read and Write to GEM.

#1040 JW1982

JW1982

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

Thanks - that's really helpful.

Do all 7M5T units work with cruise control?

FuF.

No, the lower spec GEM modules don't support Cruise Control.

It is very difficult to find out which part numbers do support Cruise Control.

I have got a GEM module with part number 7M5T-14A073-JF and this one definately supports Cruise Control.

#1041 jarp

jarp

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Name: Jari
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2005

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

Is there still any way to reprogram PCM module for cruise control myself or is only way to do it to bring my car to Ford mechanic who does have Ford IDS and is willing to use it? I got quote of EUR 150 for reprogramming the module which seems a bit high price for me (unless they guarantee results for that price and fix everything if something goes wrong).

#1042 021C

021C

6'7" Focus Driver

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Thanks - all I can think is I've perhaps put the connector back on the board the wrong way (changing the pin layout)

I'll switch the connectors round and retry in the morning

Stu

You may have wired it incorrect in the beginning and then returning it to original state you may have the wires the wrong way around.

Can Error is usually when it's in the incorrect switch position , so if you cable is not working in original position under HEC then switch the two wires , it then it works you can go back to wiring it correctly.

But the fault is not the PC or windows 7

The switch in Original State will Read and write to HEC module, wired in switch will allow it to Read and Write to GEM.

#1043 JW1982

JW1982

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
Contributor

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

Is there still any way to reprogram PCM module for cruise control myself or is only way to do it to bring my car to Ford mechanic who does have Ford IDS and is willing to use it? I got quote of EUR 150 for reprogramming the module which seems a bit high price for me (unless they guarantee results for that price and fix everything if something goes wrong).

The only way to activate Cruise Control in the PCM is to reprogram the PCM with IDS or another suitable diagnosis interface that can perform software updates. It is not possible to do it yourself unless you own the proper equipment.

#1044 021C

021C

6'7" Focus Driver

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

Success - with daylight comes clarity and some common sense :)

While I new my soldering was good I did not count on the plastic pin connector (to board) to be the wrong way round from factory. When I removed the connector from the board I did not make a note of its orinetation and used an image from the start of the thread. This meant that my cable would not work as the pins were all incorrect.

I've just managed to connect and save down a few options from the IPC tab - I'll need to rewire a new switch (as I destroyed the last one.... ) and I should be good for BCM

My cable came from the same supplier linked on the first page of this thread - However, the PCB inside had a different layout so double check when you put yours back together ;)

Stu

Thanks - all I can think is I've perhaps put the connector back on the board the wrong way (changing the pin layout)

I'll switch the connectors round and retry in the morning

Stu

#1045 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Good news you got it working

#1046 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 10,103 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Main thing I want to do is enable cruise control and ensure it doesn't cause any havoc - I don't have the other parts to do the rest of the mod yet, but enabling it is one hurdle (assuming it isn't one of the cars which has to go to ford, only for them to smile and say no.)

Will keep you posted.

Hows the elm327 modifications working for you mate?
Did you enable RDS in the centre screen and eco mode display?

#1047 morfej

morfej

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: morfej
  • Ford Model: c-max

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

Could somebody share saved the RCM config file from ELM-FF2 and ELMCONFIG program.

#1048 o5ky

o5ky

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus ST
Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

When i try to change the auto locking speed it reports that there was an error and hasnt received any data for byte 0, 1 or 2... what could be causing this? i am able to change every other setting just not the ones on that screen (no settings change)

#1049 zangaby

zangaby

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 2

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

No, the lower spec GEM modules don't support Cruise Control.

It is very difficult to find out which part numbers do support Cruise Control.

I have got a GEM module with part number 7M5T-14A073-JF and this one definately supports Cruise Control.

Being able to activate Cruise control configuration in GEM with the ELM cable means the GEM supports Cruise Control?

#1050 JW1982

JW1982

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
Contributor

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

No, The Cruise Control setting can be selected in every Focus 2 GEM module but if the module doesn't support Cruise Control it simply doesn't work.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users