Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8 Tdci Starting Issue

Rnc200

Hi guys, got a problem with my 2009 focus 1.8tdci and wondered if anyone had any ideas, this is my first post so here goes. Car starts up and ticks over for a couple of seconds then just dies, then it could take up to 15 mins to get it started. Once stated it runs fine. Read a couple of things about throttle body/ anti shudder valve but can't see anything like that on my engine,

Thanks in advance for any advice

There is not much to go on to be honest, it could be anything from dirty fuel filter, bad crankshaft sensor, bad wiring....

Have you been able to get any error codes?

No not taken to the garage as yet, looks like that might be the next step though

Yeah that's what I was wondering but it runs like a dream when it starts, a few cranks of the engine with nothing at all then it tries to fire up, once it tries to start it only takes a couple more goes before it will start. I have read somewhere about throttle body issues but can't see anything obvious. Do you know if there is on on the 1.8 tdci and where I would find it if there is?

It may just be a very small amount of air though, over enough time is expelling fuel. When it starts for a few seconds, this could be the residual fuel in the pump.

There will be no throttle body, diesels are free breathers, it's the amount of fuel that is metered not the amount of air.

Ok thanks for your reply, I will have another check over the hoses tomorrow and go for a new filter while I'm at it. I forgot to mention earlier that sometimes while trying to start it judders quite violently. I did replace an intercooler hose a couple of weeks ago from the EGR valve, this wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?

Hi guys, just an update on my starting issue,

Local garage found P0087 fault code (fuel pressure too low) they looked at all fuel lines and found no issues,

Took the fuel filter out and found it had started to degrade, replaced fuel filter with new one and now all systems go.

My little girl starts at the turn of the key again.

This was going to be my next job but as it was down the garage I got them to do it.

Thanks to those who replied and gave me somewhere to start looking.

• Like 1

good result, fuel filter is more often than not a prime culprit.

Glad its running again, hopefully without leaving an equated sized hole in the wallet!