Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2008 Info

barzman

Hi,

Iv got my heart set on a black 3 door focus titanium 08-09 plate.

Now considering this a pretty rare car there isn't very many around, so I was wondering what kind of mileage is to much when buying this car? Is around 60 - to over 100,000 considered high on that model year of focus? What mileage do problems commonly start on the focus?

What kind of questions should I be asking at the dealership?

Sorry to sound thick here but I'm new to driving and quite honestly don't know much about cars so was just looking for a little advice on this.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

For cars in general most people reckon 12-15K per year is about average. For modern diesels if the mileage is higher but has largely been motorway miles then that's pretty easy on the car so nothing to worry about (generally if a car has done a lot of motorway miles there will often be some stone chips on the bonnet, front bumper etc).

What engine is in the car you are looking at? e.g. 1.8TDCI or 1.6 petrol etc

Mileage is important but unfortunately when buying a used car you don't know HOW it's been driven i.e. 3K miles per year is low but the clutch may well be knackered if an old lady has been ridng the clutch around every corner.

what engine does it have?

DPF and Turbo are the two single biggest issues, if it has a DPF an over 70k on the clock then you want to be asking about it or remove it ;) if its a 1.6 tdci then youll also want to be thinking about the turbo. just depends what you looking at...

Well preferably I was looking for a petrol because Iv been told even though they may be less cost efficient in terms of fuel, they tend to have less problems, (diesel turbo, dpf problems).

Also I wanted a 1.8 as again from what I've read they are better than getting a 1.6 as the 99bhp 1.6 lacks power, but again I could be wrong. I have no problems getting a 1.6 if it's worth it.

I have no problems getting a diesel either, at the end of the day I just want one that's reliable with as little problems as possible, if that's not to much to ask lol.

These are the ones I was looking at, what you guys think?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201412239793677/sort/atcustom/postcode/so151gu/radius/1500/make/FORD/model/focus/page/1/usedcars

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201501280505442/sort/atcustom/postcode/so151gu/radius/1500/make/FORD/model/focus/page/1/usedcars

You're not wrong about the 99BHP 1.6 petrol, it's not too bad once it's doing 50MPH but in the lower gears it has to be worked hard. If you're planning on a decent amount of motorway type driving it may be worth a getting a TDCI (1.8 or bigger), if it's more short journeys I'd say get a petrol as short journeys are less likely to cause problems (no DPF etc) & no expensive 3 piece clutch or turbo.

I guess it comes down to what type of driving (& how much) you plan on doing in it.

Well I think it's would be a mixture of both, more short journeys but I fair amount of long journeys a few times a month, I'm thinking about the 1.6 but how hard to you have to push the engine on the 99bhp petrol? Does it stress the engine a lot in the lower gears? Is it common to get a lot of problems with the 99bhp models?

The 1.6 on auto trader is 57,000 miles, is worth the risk do you reckon or do you think I would end up with a lot of problems with it at that mileage?

Sorry for the endless questions lol

I wouldn't worry about stressing it so much just the fast it's slow as !Removed! at lower speeds & having to work it hard ain't good for fuel economy.

Oh ok i see, thanks for the info mate much appreciated , Oh and one more (silly) question lol, how does the 08 sony sound system compare to say the 14' plate standard focus? Is it better, worse around the same?

Hi,sounds like you are looking for a petrol engine.First look at your budget,don't become to fixated on the mileage unless it's really over the top.Find the car you are interested in.Take a friend that knows about cars and give the car a really good drive around,to find out if you like it.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I bought the 1.6 100 bhp because I only live 4 miles from work, I travel to Manchester about once a month. If you don't speed it's fine on the motorway, could really do with a sixth gear though.

I find the acceleration very good in second and third gears it's fine.

Travelling to work I rarely get out of second gear.

7 months and 3000 miles the computer average MPG reads 34.9.

Ok thanks for info, il keep you updated when I do end up getting one, think it won't hurt getting the 1.6 by the sounds of things.

Again about the sony Sound system, only reason I ask is because I was a driving a 14' plate focus in December for a few days and thought the sound system was OK. But seeing as the focus I want is a titanium with the upgraded sony system was wondering how it compares, seeing that it is an upgrade I assume it would be better than the standard 14' focus but saying that obviously the 14' plate is a lot newer so just wanted a few opinions on that? Is the bog standard system in the newest focus better than an 08' sony set up basically?

I have a 3 door 58 plate Focus Titanium in Black so might be some use here.. I can say I have had the car for 2 years now and not had a single problem. It has currently done 62000 miles and still drives like i just got it. I have needed new tires and changed the front breaks - standard wear and tear. I have the 2.0 petrol. Economy wise my mum had the 1.6 petrol for a while and they are nearly identical. I have driven both and would say if you can go for the 2.0.

Feel free to fire me any questions about this too:)

• Like 1

Ok I kind of ruled out the 2.0 because was under the assumption it would drink petrol. Thanks for the info though because If it is just as economical that opens a few more doors for me, any info on the sound system?

I do about 20 miles of rural dual carriageway into town centre each day. I get 30-35MPG.

To be honest I have never heard the system on the new Focus. I came from a Mk1 with a full custom setup but I haven't felt the need to upgrade this one. It certainly does me fine.

• 1 month later...

Very close to getting a 1.6 petrol, has 70,000 on the clock, a little service history & full m.o.t history? 2 previous owners? Do you think this is a risk? Coming with part service history, apparently at 70k your looking at thinking about doing timing/cambelt? Is it likely it should still be ok at this mileage? Any bits of advice would be great! Thanks

They are rare indeed. I have a 3dr 1.6 petrol 2009 zetec 34k mileage. I paid £5000. Looks so good with 3 doors though :lol:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club