Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Door mirrors

meddyliol

Does anyone have any ideas why the passenger door mirror has that magnifying bit (or whatever it's called) on the end? I can understand the drivers side having it but not the passengers. Very strange

Thanks

Brian :rolleyes:

Ford are aware of this problem, They say they are complying with EU law and have no plans to ratify the problem.

!Removed! europe again. Why can't they mind their own business. Anyway, thanks for your answer but how did you know about this? I assume you have contacted Ford about it.

Brian

We've had topics abou it before.

OK, sorry, should have done a search first. I just assumed that the dealers had put them on the wrong way around.

Brian :rolleyes:

i should think its because they were ment for driving abroad and could not be bothered to change them more like :o :o

I think it is common problem as on continent we`ve also this magnifying part on passengers side, anybody in UK to change the mirrors :lol:

I think it is common problem as on continent we`ve also this magnifying part on passengers side, anybody in UK to change the mirrors :lol:

It is down to bad design by the mirror manufacturer or Ford, It appears from the above that the LHD cars have the asperic glass on the passenger side as well, it would suggest that when the mirror/vehicle went through its homologation it could not achieve the legal requirements for "field of view" therefore they have added the aspheric line to passenger side mirrors on left and right hand drive vehicles, this increases the field of view due to the change in radius of the glass, this is the cheaper option over redesigning the mirror to achieve the legal requirements.

There are requirements for minimum viewing angles from a standard driving position. I would guess that the shape of the glass/curvature/etc means that the passenger side wasn't giving quite enough vision and they had to put in 'blind spot' section. Does make you wonder why they didnt just fit one on both sides and be done with it.

It is down to bad design by the mirror manufacturer or Ford, It appears from the above that the LHD cars have the asperic glass on the passenger side as well, it would suggest that when the mirror/vehicle went through its homologation it could not achieve the legal requirements for "field of view" therefore they have added the aspheric line to passenger side mirrors on left and right hand drive vehicles, this increases the field of view due to the change in radius of the glass, this is the cheaper option over redesigning the mirror to achieve the legal requirements.

Does that mean it's possible to source a right side passenger mirror with the aspheric glass that could replace our standard driver's side mirror?

Does that mean it's possible to source a right side passenger mirror with the aspheric glass that could replace our standard driver's side mirror?

In theory yes, as Fiestas on the continent have the Aspheric glass on the passenger side which is our drivers side then the glass from a LHD Fiesta would fit.

In Theory again you could also get the convex glass from the drivers side on a LHD Fiesta and change it for the aspheric glass on a RHD Fiesta. However I doubt whether you could swop a total mirror as the head angles would be different between LHD and RHD vehicles.

Glass should be readily available as a spare on its own, but whether a uk dealer would be able to source it im not sure.

Only noticed today but my 59plate has the aspheric glass on both sides compared to the 09 plate i had which was only on the passenger side.

I've just bought 2 blindspot mirrors from helford and put them on. They are much better.

The round domed one? If so, where on the mirror have you got them (inner/outer edge, top/bottom). I've got them on my Mk4 as it means I can see down to the kerb whilst parking, but no idea how they'd look/fit onto the more funky shaped mirrors of the Mk7.

Only noticed today but my 59plate has the asperic glass on both sides compared to the 09 plate i had which was only on the passenger side.

Lets hope thats the case for all brand new Fiestas.or more importantly the one I will hopefully be picking up on Sat!!

Collected my car yesterday and its got blindspot bits on both mirrors.

My guess is that they never planned to have them on the passenger side but realised really late on that the vison angles required for homologation weren't good enough on the pasenger side.

Some bright spark has then worked out that fitting the mirrors from a left-hand drive car on a rh drive one (and t'other way round) cures the problem.

Now they've made a decent number of the cars, they've used up all the 'flat'glass mirrors and are just fitting two blindspot mirrors to everything.

I would take a guess that before too long, if you ordered a replacement 'flat' glass mirror for either a LH or RH drive car, it would actually come with the blindspot section - assuming they've used up all the old ones.

I've just bought 2 blindspot mirrors from helford and put them on. They are much better.

I bought one of these the day I collected my car last year :lol: I only got one, for the passenger side, for the simple reason there was one on my Mini when I bought it, and I was used to using it for parking against a curb etc. Recommend them to anyone purely for this reason, and hopefully it will protect your wheels lol.

I have those.

Always use my blind spot mirrors, and what a fab habit to have ! The amount of times I'v checked my mirrors and theres actually a car just out of sight at my side !

I think everybody should have them.

I have those.

Always use my blind spot mirrors, and what a fab habit to have ! The amount of times I'v checked my mirrors and theres actually a car just out of sight at my side !

I just check my blindspot by actually turning my head... It's more reliable, and it's free ;) I think the blindspot mirror are a bit deceiving, don't like them personally! I'd get it taken off mine if I could.

The round domed one? If so, where on the mirror have you got them (inner/outer edge, top/bottom). I've got them on my Mk4 as it means I can see down to the kerb whilst parking, but no idea how they'd look/fit onto the more funky shaped mirrors of the Mk7.

Lets hope thats the case for all brand new Fiestas.or more importantly the one I will hopefully be picking up on Sat!!

Yep the round ones. I put them on the outside edge.

I have those.

I do find the really useful. I bought them after a few near misses on dual carriageways when trying to get into the outside lane. They are better for showing distance behind you as wing mirrors magnify things.

I had one of those wee blind spot mirrors on the mini when i was learning to drive - was excellent for the reverse park and reverse round the corner.

I do find the really useful. I bought them after a few near misses on dual carriageways when trying to get into the outside lane. They are better for showing distance behind you as wing mirrors magnify things.

I'd get blind spot mirrors if I wasn't worried about spoiling the look of the wing mirrors. I'm the same as Flic, a quick glance behind is more than enough to keep you safe.

I just check my blindspot by actually turning my head... It's more reliable, and it's free ;) I think the blindspot mirror are a bit deceiving, don't like them personally! I'd get it taken off mine if I could.

Yeah I still do that !

But if you adjust them properly and place them in the right corners they are pretty amazing! Better than having non

Driving a Nissan Primastar for work gives me more than enough pratice at that.

Sensors will soon let me know if anything gets too close.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club