Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smaller Aerial

JSMarsden

Hi!

I have the standard Ecoboost Zetec and wondering what aerial I need (or if people recommend any) that I could use. I looked at mine today and thought it was a touch long/too big and would look a lot better if it was smaller.

The signal etc I get from it is OK, but wondered if anybody recommended any particular ones (would still like access to my DAB).

Anybody else replaced theirs? 

Richbrook and companies like that make stubby aerials.

Just remember that in general, shortening the aerial will have an impact on reception.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Richbrook and companies like that make stubby aerials.

Just remember that in general, shortening the aerial will have an impact on reception.

My DAB cuts out now and again anyway. The only annoying thing is, is that when I travel to Kent from Manchester, I pass several different areas. Meaning I have to keep searching for the same radio station but in a different area :(.

Thanks for the info though as I was looking for a reputable manufacturer that makes them - didn't want to get an eBay special that didn't work. 

I have a richbrook short aerial cost just over £10 when I got it, the dab in my car works fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

I had the short alloy Richbook one and DAB was a bit worse but the problem i had was

the Phone,the signal was lower so in places where i got an average/low signal i had nothing.

Changed back.

• Like 1

I got a cheap one from Halfords (typical n00b) and it look/works great:rolleyes:

Only downside is it says "RS" on it... (Stands for RipSpeed I'd imagine)

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/exterior-styling/ripspeed-black-car-aerial-12cm

16 hours ago, jace1969 said:

I had the short alloy Richbook one and DAB was a bit worse but the problem i had was

the Phone,the signal was lower so in places where i got an average/low signal i had nothing.

Changed back.

The phone? Unsure what you mean I assumed DAB just worked directly through the aerial, and your phone signal was just via your phone? 

20 hours ago, JSMarsden said:

My DAB cuts out now and again anyway. The only annoying thing is, is that when I travel to Kent from Manchester, I pass several different areas. Meaning I have to keep searching for the same radio station but in a different area :(. 

There is a button specifically for this, RDS iirc, press that and it keeps to the same stations in different areas in theory.

• Like 1

Did any of you have any change to you phone signal when went to smaller aerial.

49 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

There is a button specifically for this, RDS iirc, press that and it keeps to the same stations in different areas in theory.

Where is this button! :O Is i one of the multi-function buttons when I have the station up? I need this in my life! haha

I have no idea on the Fiesta lol, it'll be in your handbook though, pretty sure its still called RDS...been on car stereos since the 90's! 

• Like 2

Just had a look at a Fiesta PDF Manual, it's called Alternative Frequencies (AF) and you can turn it on through MENU then AUDIO.  You can also alter Regional Mode (RDS) to widen the pick up area.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Just had a look at a Fiesta PDF Manual, it's called Alternative Frequencies (AF) and you can turn it on through MENU then AUDIO.  You can also alter Regional Mode (RDS) to widen the pick up area.

So turning on this RDS, it would allow me to travel through different counties and pick up the different DAB stations? (as opposed to keep re-searching the correct signal) Will give it a go! 

RDS is what gives you station information.  AF is what auto tunes to the same station in different areas.  If your using DAB though you won't need that.  My experience with the Short aerials is the reception became useless.  Though this was before I had DAB so not sure how that affects things.  I seem to remember being told though that DAB needs a different type of aerial.  Not sure if that is the wiring from the roof back or the actual aerial.  I guess a lot of it depends on where you stay and how strong your reception is.

55 minutes ago, ayrshiredude said:

RDS is what gives you station information.  AF is what auto tunes to the same station in different areas.  If your using DAB though you won't need that.  My experience with the Short aerials is the reception became useless.  Though this was before I had DAB so not sure how that affects things.  I seem to remember being told though that DAB needs a different type of aerial.  Not sure if that is the wiring from the roof back or the actual aerial.  I guess a lot of it depends on where you stay and how strong your reception is.

Signal isn't excellent but I travel through manchester now and again and itll cut off 2/3 times in my journey (same point every time) - which I don't see would improve.

When I travel from Manchester to Kent, the issue is I like to keep the radio on during my long stretches (when its 50 or so mile to the next instruction on my sat nav) and then flick back to bluetooth so I can hear my spotify along with the sat nav instructions. I just want to make sure my DAB is still available for my journeys as its nice to have a change of music on a 5 hour drive! 

Ah, my bad, not sure if the AF works with DAB, I use it with FM.  DAB had rubbish signal locally for me so I never used it in previous car lol, don't have the option in the Focus.

20 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Did this on the way home - What it does now is when it cuts out of DAB, it simply changes to the alternative FM frequency. (I hear a drop in quality/overlap of songs). Driving to kent on Friday however I doubt it'll flick from one DAB to another (I.E If im listening to capital (example - never listen to it!) it'll flick to the local DAB capital). But will have to wait and see! Thanks 

37 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Well that's interesting to know! :)

I went into the audio options where you told me and literally ensured the bottom 3 iirc are all ticked. 

I think at the end of the day, from my own experience anyway, is if you go for a smaller aerial then expect to have worse reception.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ayrshiredude said:

I think at the end of the day, from my own experience anyway, is if you go for a smaller aerial then expect to have worse reception.  

Spot on,its the same as a lot of things.Looks or how it works as some will go for the looks over working A1 but in this case

i had to swop back as phone reception was worse.

Yeh. Ive ordered it and ill see. May just keep it for shows/meets (If any happen on here? I know a row of fiestas isn't the best to look at but does the full forum have any meets at any american car/car enthusiasts meets? Ive been to a few Jap meets with my brother and they've been pretty damn good! 

13 minutes ago, JSMarsden said:

Yeh. Ive ordered it and ill see. May just keep it for shows/meets (If any happen on here? I know a row of fiestas isn't the best to look at but does the full forum have any meets at any american car/car enthusiasts meets? Ive been to a few Jap meets with my brother and they've been pretty damn good! 

I have sent you a PM to a link of mine.

Contrary to reviews I have had decent reception with the new aerial. Listened to the Radio from Manchester to Kent and back (predominantly all the way). Listened to 5 Live on the way down on AM Frequency with no real issues (bar the usual static issues with most AM channels) and then listened to DAB and FM on the way back. DAB Dropped out now and again but no more than my previous aerial did as its always hard to listen to DAB when travelling through various counties.

Back in Manchester my DAB presets work fine, and when it drops out it flicks to FM like previously. I haven't yet found any areas that the smaller aerial performs any worse so I suppose time will tell! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club