Do Not Sell My Personal Information

replacement dash board

jaspermowatt

Hi, 

So my 2005 ford focus c max zetec has started playing up. Firstly it refused to start on occasions, this seemed to be fixed by taking the dash out and giving the pcb a clean. Most recently the a light came on saying 'engine system failure; reduced acceleration' this could be fixed by either turning the car on and off or by giving the dash a good hard hit. I had it plugged into the diagnostic machine at a garage and 5 fault codes came up (I didn't note the codes) but my mechanic basically said my dash is knackered. His diagnosis agreess with what I saw when I cleaned the pcb; water marks around components, a couple corroded. 

So anyway, his suggestion is that I sent it away to be fixed as thats cheaper than buying a new unit. However that means I am carless for at least a week. Can I purchase a straight swap new/reconditioned one? Ive seen prices that put it about twice the price of getting mine fixed but I've also been told a brand new one requires reprogramming and therefore costs even more. 

If a new one doesn't need programming, i am more inclined to do that. 

So my question is, will i encounter any problems if i buy a new dash?

Many thanks

Jasper Mowatt

I assume you mean the instrument cluster, and yes a new one will need programming.

A used instrument cluster also requires programming.

The PATS immobilizer system is partly integrated into the instrument cluster. The transponder serial numbers are programmed into the instrument cluster and the instrument cluster contains a synchronisation file that must match with the PCM. 

4 minutes ago, Russ said:

I assume you mean the instrument cluster, and yes a new one will need programming.

3 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

A used instrument cluster also requires programming.

The PATS immobilizer system is partly integrated into the instrument cluster. The transponder serial numbers are programmed into the instrument cluster and the instrument cluster contains a synchronisation file that must match with the PCM. 

Cheers to both of you. So it looks as if getting my existing one sent away to be repaired is probably the best option?

Do either of you know rough ball part figure for the cost of a typical re-programming? 

Thanks again for your help

Ford will charge you an arm and a leg (and possibly a kidney) if you send yours away, it gets fixed and you receive your one back so just put it in and off you go.

5 hours ago, jaspermowatt said:

However that means I am carless for at least a week.

That is the 2nd Duff IC (cluster) on this site today!

I fixed mine myself over one weekend, but I have decent soldering equipment. Some local repair shops may be able to do it, if this is the common fault of bad solder on the main connector. Water staining may just clean off with alcohol (IPA is usually used. That's IsoPropyl Alcohol, not India Pale Ale!)

New one, programmed, I have seen costing over £800!

For my repair, see: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=40491

Peter.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club