Show
Photo
- - - - -

To anyone considering venturing out in the snow...

• Please log in to reply
409 replies to this topic

#16 InstructorPiggy

InstructorPiggy

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 TDCI ZS

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:13 PM

Prob a daft question here, but how does this work? :lol:

I was told that if my car starts to skid/slide then put on the handbrake and steer in the opposite direction to straighten the back up, will this work the same? :lol:

I duno...try it later...and let us know how it goes.... :lol:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 harweyko

harweyko

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta MK7 1.6l Ti-VCT

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:03 PM

I don`t know how you, but I like to drive in snow, even 400km in one day, it keeps you concentrated for every second and I really enjoy such drives. Sometimes you need to drive really carefully, but every passed exam in form of good handled over/understeering slide is really enjoyable. But it is really stressful to see someone driving on a snow for first time in front of you or just behind your car.... PS: few pics of our last winter can be found here: http://img442.images...g=dsc02875q.jpg :ph34r:

#18 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:46 PM

I ventured out in the snow today, to build a metal shed with tiny little metal screws, nuts and bolts. Boy it was fresh.

#19 InstructorPiggy

InstructorPiggy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 TDCI ZS

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:47 PM

I ventured out in the snow today, to build a metal shed with tiny little metal screws, nuts and bolts. Boy it was fresh.

hows the fingers!?!? got feeling back in them yet!?!? your mad!!

was cold sat in a car with heaters on...felt sorry for anyone working outside...not nice...my temp gauge read 1 dgree at best today, down to 0 by 3pm!!

#20 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:18 PM

hows the fingers!?!? got feeling back in them yet!?!? your mad!!

was cold sat in a car with heaters on...felt sorry for anyone working outside...not nice...my temp gauge read 1 dgree at best today, down to 0 by 3pm!!

Had to come in every half hour and wrap 'em round a brew. Still got the roof to do in the morning, heard it was gonna be cracking the flags in the morning. The frost that is, not the sun. Can't wait!!

#21 JohnP

JohnP

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta mk4 1.25 zetec

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:04 PM

i don't mind driving in the snow too much, i guess thats probably because i had a couple of driving lessons in the snow and when i passed it snowed for a week or so, so most of the time it was quite slippy. i like to think that experience made me a better driver though.

as mentioned though some other drivers scare the bejesus out of me, especially in my works carpark today!

#22 robbieguy2003

robbieguy2003

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 09

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:05 AM

Dont mind it terribly, but will try and avoid if I can.

I ended up driving from London > Hastings at 9:30pm on the 17th... Obviously didn't go well and took 5 hours due to various small crashes (other cars)..

It was slippy at several points and occasionally going in a straight line meant a 180 left steering wheel rotation.

The fiesta slipped a lot and I agree with InstructorPiggy on the high gear low revs works nicer. Literally < 15% throttle in 3rd @ 10mph would cause the wheels to loose traction. Braking was the worst thing though, abs cut in constantly as there was just no grip, eventually went with engine braking. I dont have the ESP pack so no traction control either :)

Still, got home in relative comfort, had a few issues but all in all ok. Have previously drove 4 wheel drive cars with traction control systems which I think would have been better, but all in all, nothing too scary.

Obviously all that time spent playing Colin Mcrae Rally on the playstation wasn't wasted :)

#23 Jcoventry

Jcoventry

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Ka 2008 Style Climate 1.3
Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:58 PM

- Don't drive unless you really have to.... It isn't "fun" to drive in snow, not matter how much "fun" it looks.

This is debatable!

If you search YouTube for 'Ford sierra ice' or "Ford sierra snow', plenty of folk having fun! :lol: :P

#24 Flic

Flic

Area Rep: Southeast 2 (Chrome Hater)

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Ford Model: 09 Fiesta Zetec-S
Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:04 PM

I drove to work yesterday morning past snow drifts as high as my car, no worries. Got stuck a few times today but after reversing a few times managed to get back into a groove. Like other have said, I was more worried about other peoples driving than my own! The amount of people driving so close to me behind was ridiculous, luckily I have rear tints otherwise I'd have given them the finger. Other drivers get me so cross sometimes!!

#25 harweyko

harweyko

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta MK7 1.6l Ti-VCT

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

We`ve had small meeting of our Ford Club from Slovakia, few nice vid`s with snow at huge parking place ;)

- New Fiesta ZS
- New Fiesta ZS
- Mustang ;)

PS: snow is your friend, not enemy :lol:

Posted Image

#26 sussex

sussex

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Ford Model: Was - 1.4 Zetec / Now - 1.6 ZS

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:54 PM

Posted Image

She drove me safely 55miles on Friday morning before the sun rose after 5 inches of fresh snow, she had a nice day off today.

Love the snow. Love my MK7 :-)

P.S The 17" tyres did me proud :-)

#27 welshie_miles

welshie_miles

Area Rep: East

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.6 TDCI
Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:28 PM

I'm off for a drive down to mid France next week where they have proper snow! I'll be grateful for all these tips, and stability control and traction control of course.

I couldn't help myself to a cheeky little tug at the handbrake though going round a slow tight turn, much fun and lots of giggling like a Japanese school girl!

#28 FMC

FMC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta mk7 Zetec-S TDCi + Eibachs

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:33 PM

I tried a turn with the handbrake in the factory carpark years ago when i had an XR2. Trouble was, the carpark had never ever been gritted and under the inch of snow was sheet ice and i had been travelling a bit too fast!! It went into an almighty slide like on an ice rink and i smashed into a kerb side-on at the bottom end!! :(

I actually envy you taking the trip to France (providing you don't get stuck in the Channel Tunnel before you arrive) - remember to take the Euro safety travel kit and spare bulb kit (i believe both are mandatory for driving in France now?!)

Good luck and have a safe trip - take plenty of pics B)

#29 titanium_s_spec

titanium_s_spec

Local Rep: Hertfordshire (Spelling Bee Champ)

• FOC Supporters
  • 729 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta mk7 mountune

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

here is a little tip take a pump with you also because if you get really stuck deflate your driving wheels.this will improve the coverage of the tires improving grip due to the surface area covered by the tires.also a lot of our European members most probably change there wheels to winter tires.which have a softer rubber compound so that the rubber does not freeze making the tyre have more traction.

#30 JonMad

JonMad

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.6TDCi
Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:06 AM

here is a little tip take a pump with you also because if you get really stuck deflate your driving wheels.this will improve the coverage of the tires improving grip due to the surface area covered by the tires.

So why are cars with narrower tyres generally better in the snow :unsure:
I thought it was less surface area = more weight over a point = more digging in for traction. Hence RWD cars struggle with less weight over driven wheels and generally wider-tyred driven wheels :unsure:

I'd deflate for sand or getting under very low bridges, but not sure about for snow. Maybe it's just me, happy to be told I'm talking crap :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users