catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:55 AM

Nice to see you have these sort of constructive conversations on this site ( as a member of loc it might amuse you to know we have members over there who struggle to get 70 miles from £20 in a lexus is200 2.0 six cylinder petrol)
which does not make even your worst figures quoted here too "unlivable" albeit not close to official quoted figures in some cases - all good info here and good reading for someone thinking of sliding over to a mondeo diesel

You will no doubt know the Mondeo and Volvo S40 share the same diesel engines.

Dee, obviously anybody going from a diesel to a petrol engined car will be disappointed in fuel economy. But for my part with my mileage 5.5k, and even taking into consideration dearer Road Tax, but cheaper servicing costs [no DPF etc] running the 1.6 petrol is cheaper. As there is not the diesel preimum to pay at point of purchase. For example with the difference between buying new a 1.6 petrol as against a 1.6 TDCi in cost to purchase. At my mileage it would mean I would have to run the TDCi for 7 years, to save in fuel costs what I paid out extra in the diesel purchase premium. Say for similar spec'ed 2008 on 57 plate second hand cars, it would be 3.5 years of annual savings to pay for the diesel purchase premium.

Obviously it all depends on the annual mileage you do at 10.5K per annum it stacks up at 3.8 and 1.9 years respectively.
At 15.5k per annum it stacks up at 2.6 and 1.3 years respectively to save the diesel purchase premium. For higher annual mileage drivers diesel starts to make sense sooner rather than later.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#62 J i m

J i m

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk1 Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

Or if you go about it the way I did, and buy a used car of 5+ years old, you've got yourself a car that still drives well, but without the hefty "diesel premium".

For town driving my fuel consumption in the 1.8 Focus TDCi may not be drastically better than my 1.6 Petrol Fiesta of the same age, but it certainly isn't any worse. Much better for the longer haul, cheaper road tax, and with petrol and diesel having such similar prices at the pumps, the better economy turns into less money spent per mile.

So even as a mostly short haul town driver.... I have now got car that costs less to run. Sure, the Finance deal to buy it kind of negates that for a little while, but I'm sure I could do something to pay it off quicker.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users