Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help please, car doing a funny thing

M.Letra

Help very much required.

For the passed 2 weeks almost every day I seem to be having trouble with my car. I have a 2017 ford fiesta zetec 1.0 ecoboost. Sometimes when I am stopped in traffic then go to pull off, as I find the biting point and release the emegency brake the car does not move, even when I apply the accelerator. When I then go to reapply the emergency brake it feels very stiff and won't depress. If I try to move off again it does the same thing. I have to aggressively push the brake a few times to get it to unstick. This has happened a few times specifically when I have released the clutch a bit too fast and twice after the car has been stalled (when it doesn't' ask for a manual restart) but other times it just happens when it's a normal pull off. It is important to say that once the emergency brake has been released in these situations the car does not roll forward or back.

I've checked the brake servo to see if something was wrong with that, my brakes aren't spongy and usually just applying the lightest bit of pressure stops the car so I am not sure what is going on. My clutch seems to work fine too, my auto start stop works and I have to push the clutch down to start my engine, I also have no problem with changing gears (beyond the odd occasion where it pops out of reverse but this happened in my instructors car too which is the same model as mine) have tried to Google it but nothing that sounds like this pops up. I would prefer to know what it may be before taking it to the garage.

If anyone could please help me with this I would very much appreciate it!

Sounds like your handbrake is sticking either the cable or brake shoes in the drums. It's not unusual, but it is unusual in a 2017 car. Take it in to Ford for warranty action. 

what's the emergency brake?

First thing I would try is disabling Hill Start Assist if you have it enabled (through the menu on the radio)

43 minutes ago, isetta said:

what's the emergency brake?

First thing I would try is disabling Hill Start Assist if you have it enabled (through the menu on the radio)

The American way of saying hand brake

+1 for hill start assist. My brakes feel like they stick when I set off too soon sometimes.

Would hill start assist effect the feel of the breal pedal? Because this seems like the most logical option to me. Nothing else seems off about my car

Yeah it would, I turned it off as it felt weird even on a small incline

don't the americans call the handbrake the parking brake? anyway, I knew what he must have meant

2 hours ago, isetta said:

don't the americans call the handbrake the parking brake? anyway, I knew what he must have meant

Years of American racing games on PS2 it was always the e-brake or emergency brake...  Odd really as it's utterly useless in any emergency above about 20mph... :laugh:  But I think it's because most US cars are auto, they don't need a parking brake as they just leave the gearbox in Park.

Parking brake is the 'proper' UK version, if you check the MOT brake test it'll give you readings for the service brake (footbrake) and parking brake (handbrake). :smile: 

perhaps the term Handbrake will fizzle out as more cars have a push button parking brake.  Like 'fan belt' has fizzled out and become auxillary drive belt or serpentine belt etc.  Still a fan belt to my generation of people

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club