Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Wet passenger footwell 2005 MK2


addiosamigo
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have noticed that I have a leak somewhere as there is water in the passenger footwell (left hand side). I know this is common issue in the MK2, but can't see a pollen filter anywhere when I open the bonnet. 
What I have noticed is that the windscreen surround has come away at the top of the screen, it's plastic not rubber so not easily going back in place. Could I glue it? If so what would I use? 

I've highlighted the problem area below. 

[Problem area](https://i.imgur.com/18l0arq.jpg)

[problem area 2](https://i.imgur.com/PT7t8VW.jpg)

[Surround coming away](https://i.imgur.com/i2r7pxD.jpg)

Could that be causing the leak? 

Merry Christmas to you all!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 hours ago, addiosamigo said:

I have noticed that I have a leak somewhere as there is water in the passenger footwell (left hand side). I know this is common issue in the MK2, but can't see a pollen filter anywhere when I open the bonnet. 
What I have noticed is that the windscreen surround has come away at the top of the screen, it's plastic not rubber so not easily going back in place. Could I glue it? If so what would I use?

If water is blowing in under the roof, it can track along the roof and down the A-pillar (at the side of the windscreen) and into the footwell. I have had this, from a hole in the roof made by a previous owner. Removing the A pillar trim inside the car might help identify if that is the route, eg by putting some paper in it. Pulling that pillar off often damages the fixings a bit, but it will still hold in place after.

If it is from the heater, then a smell of antifreeze should be detectable.

I would try using a decent silicone sealant to fix the surround to the screen. It is flexible, and removable if it proves to be too weak.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tdci-Peter said:

If water is blowing in under the roof, it can track along the roof and down the A-pillar (at the side of the windscreen) and into the footwell. I have had this, from a hole in the roof made by a previous owner. Removing the A pillar trim inside the car might help identify if that is the route, eg by putting some paper in it. Pulling that pillar off often damages the fixings a bit, but it will still hold in place after.

If it is from the heater, then a smell of antifreeze should be detectable.

I would try using a decent silicone sealant to fix the surround to the screen. It is flexible, and removable if it proves to be too weak.

 

Ok, would i attach the plastic surround using the sealant? Sort of like a glue? If so what type of sealant would I use? Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are going to seal the top of the windscreen have a good read of this older thread

You need to be careful using any old silicone sealer on the screen, not all sealers are compatible with the sealer regularly used on screens.

The one I purchased, as noted in this older thread, had a short shelf life amazingly.

ScaniaPBman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the end I managed to just push it back in. I didn't realise that the whole surround went into the groove, it just needed more of a push in and then down.

I don't think thats the source of the leak though, I will need to investigate More.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, addiosamigo said:

I got the carpet up and it's soaked, doesn't smell of anything, just looks like rain water. 

It's wetter more inwards towards the drivers side. Could it be the pollen filter? 

IMG_20190101_145412.jpg

Common problem with the pollen filter housing

Mine is soaking since ford replaced the pollen filter last October 

I complained last service and they billed me for a new housing 😂 how could I have broken it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lenny said:

Common problem with the pollen filter housing

Mine is soaking since ford replaced the pollen filter last October 

I complained last service and they billed me for a new housing 😂 how could I have broken it 

You reckon it's what it could be then? Easy to replace? What tools would I need?

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, addiosamigo said:

You reckon it's what it could be then? Easy to replace? What tools would I need?

Cheers

I'm 90% sure that's what it is, 

But regarding fixing it yourself; I too would like to know as I'll be spending the same amount of money at the dealers hoping they fix it correctly; I'm aswell have a go at fixing it myself, 

You will need a pollen filter as existing one will go mouldy after being wet or saturated is probably a better description of its current state, 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Lenny said:

I'm 90% sure that's what it is, 

But regarding fixing it yourself; I too would like to know as I'll be spending the same amount of money at the dealers hoping they fix it correctly; I'm aswell have a go at fixing it myself, 

You will need a pollen filter as existing one will go mouldy after being wet or saturated is probably a better description of its current state, 

 

I tried this today. Got the glovebox out, got the fusebox down, removed the metal bracket (had to get a socket set for this) then got stuck on the bolts for the pollen filter cover. I needed 7mm socket but only had down to 8mm. I will buy a 7mm socket tommorow and continue! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, addiosamigo said:

I tried this today. Got the glovebox out, got the fusebox down, removed the metal bracket (had to get a socket set for this) then got stuck on the bolts for the pollen filter cover. I needed 7mm socket but only had down to 8mm. I will buy a 7mm socket tommorow and continue! 

Can you see signs of water leak coming from the housing? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lenny said:

If it's not wet inside then it's something unusual causing the leak 

This is what I'm dreading. I only paid £950 for the car a month ago, and I need to get the cam belt done as it's over 100k miles. I was hoping the leak would be a cheap and easy fix! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, addiosamigo said:

This is what I'm dreading. I only paid £950 for the car a month ago, and I need to get the cam belt done as it's over 100k miles. I was hoping the leak would be a cheap and easy fix! 

Great deal on the focus,

The pollen filter housing leak is a known common problem though from 2005-2011 it's exactly the same focus just outter panels differ

Another leak is in the boot when the seal around the rear spoiler bolts deteriorate; I've taken off the spoiler and applied silicone around the bolts prior to refitting much like a jam sandwich; 

Done it as preventative maintenance, 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

Great deal on the focus,

The pollen filter housing leak is a known common problem though from 2005-2011 it's exactly the same focus just outter panels differ

Another leak is in the boot when the seal around the rear spoiler bolts deteriorate; I've taken off the spoiler and applied silicone around the bolts prior to refitting much like a jam sandwich; 

Done it as preventative maintenance, 

 

Yeah I thought it was, full service history, good spec etc. 

I think this leak has only recently happened as I can't smell anything or see any mould. I really don't think it is coolant as it's just rain water, no smell. I only noticed it when the rubber mat was wet and I looked underneath and saw that it was shining. Put some kitchen towel down for a few days and it soaked up a bit but when I took the carpet up I realised how bad it was! 

I'm going to try and remove the pollen filter today when I go and get the other socket. I'll let you know how it goes. The worse part is going to be getting the AC hose back into the glove box!

I haven't got any leaks in the back yet, but I may work on that as a preventative measure.

What exactly did you do?

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had this same kind of issue with an escort, drove me nuts trying to find it, turned out to be a rust hole in the top of the firewall, you couldn't see it by looking under the dash or when the bonnet was open.

I found it eventually when I stuck my hand up under where you cant see in the engine bay and my finger found the hole.

Every time I drove in the rain the spray was getting in the hole and running down under the carpet into the footwell.

We used to joke we had an escort with a built in swimming pool.

So if the pollen filter housing is not wet I would start looking for hidden holes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I feared the Pollen filter was brand new! Changed in April. Bone dry. 

Having looked further I can see no water coming down from anywhere, its all dry. No smell, just water. 

Having got it all up, I will dry the carpet out as much as I can, then monitor it weekly. 

So an update is I'm still none the wiser to the leak! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2019 at 3:21 PM, addiosamigo said:

As I feared the Pollen filter was brand new! Changed in April. Bone dry. 

Having looked further I can see no water coming down from anywhere, its all dry. No smell, just water. 

Having got it all up, I will dry the carpet out as much as I can, then monitor it weekly. 

So an update is I'm still none the wiser to the leak! 

Just a suggestion, look on the bulkhead at the rear of the engine, there should be a rubber hose which will look like it has disconnected from whatever it’s connected to. This hose is a drain to channel rainwater away to drop onto the ground. Check this hose isn’t clogged up with debris because if it is, I’d suspect the water to be building up and finding its way inside the car. I haven’t had this happen yet on my focus but I did have it happen on another car I had, the hose was sludged up with dead mushy leaves and once I cleared it, fixed the wet carpet problem.

Edited by Russ
Corrected spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Just a suggestion, look on the bulkhead at the rear of the engine, there should be a rubber hose which will look like it has disconnected from whatever it’s connected to. This hose is a drain to channel rainwater away to drop onto the ground. Check this hose isn’t clogged up with debris because if it is, I’d suspect the water to be building up and finding its way inside the car. I haven’t had this happen yet on my focus but I did have it happen on another car I had, the hose was sludged up with dead mushy leaves and once I cleared it, fixed the wet carpet problem.

Ah ok thanks Russ I'll check that! Is that on a MK2? Also where abouts am I looking? Cheers 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, addiosamigo said:

Ah ok thanks Russ I'll check that! Is that on a MK2? Also where abouts am I looking? Cheers 

Yep, open the bonnet and it’s at the top of the firewall (slightly left of the centre) it’ll be hanging down. If I get a chance I’ll take a photo in the morning to show it’s position. If I remember rightly the diameter on mine is roughly about 10mm diameter and maybe a footish long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just an update on the leak situation. The carpet is wet again! It's not soaking but enough to come through the dampener and saturate the carpet. There's no water in there so it's obviously been soaked up by the carpet. Now my feeling is it is either the defrosted water making its way into the car or the air con is leaking. 

The coolant is full so that's not leaking, (not sure if heater matrix is different).

I used Aircon on my way to work and back again and it's started to make a whiring noise which I read means it could be out of refrigerent. That would make sense if it's leaking! 

So the saga continues! I will find this ***** leak! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, addiosamigo said:

Just an update on the leak situation. The carpet is wet again! It's not soaking but enough to come through the dampener and saturate the carpet. There's no water in there so it's obviously been soaked up by the carpet. Now my feeling is it is either the defrosted water making its way into the car or the air con is leaking. 

The coolant is full so that's not leaking, (not sure if heater matrix is different).

I used Aircon on my way to work and back again and it's started to make a whiring noise which I read means it could be out of refrigerent. That would make sense if it's leaking! 

So the saga continues! I will find this ***** leak! 

Regarding the heater matrix, it's plumbed into the same loop as the engine i.e out of the engine, through the bulkhead into the matrix, back out of the bulkhead into the engine so if the matrix or matrix pipework was leaking you'd definitely notice a drop in coolant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership