Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Driver's door lock won't open

gavinoo

The lock on the driverside door won't unlock with the key, but it does lock with the key!. The only way to get in is to unlock on the passenger side and reach over to unlock by the latch.

Any ideas on cost of getting this fixed, or if there's another solution than taking it to a garage or ideas on the fault? Thanks

Ford focus Ghia MK1 1999

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Is it a tibbe key? Any Ford key (tibbe anyway) can LOCK a Ford door, but only the correct key can unlock  it. If your car is new to you, then possibly the door has been changed with a 2nd hand one, and the door locks weren't swapped over from the old one. 

Thanks that's interesting, yes it's a tibbe key. But cars not new bought it 5 years ago, this just suddenly happened. What do you suggest?

OK, for me, I'd go to Timpsons and get them to cut you a spare (but non-chipped) key, costs around £10.Sounds like your main key  is wearing out and may soon be unreadable anyway, so best only use it in the ignition lock. Also, lube your door and bonnet locks (if fitted) with silicon spray using a straw, (can't recommend wd40) do that twice a year. If your main key has got the removable tibbe part that slides off the fob, then get a new one of those too, still cheap from Timpsons, depends if your current key is readable (the steps in the key)if it can be read then ask the Timpson guy for the code and write it down in your handbook for future reference. 

Yes you were right it was a worn out key, my spare works. Thanks you made my day!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club