Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 Ford focus 1.8l petrol 3 door central locking problem.

Georgeatkins

Good morning all I've got a 2007 Ford focus 1.8l petrol 3 door with central locking problem.

I'm looking for a bit of help if anyone could help it would be grate as this is doing my head in now.

Now the problem is... the ***** locking system!! The key fob will unlock all doors on the car but wont even try to lock? None of the central locking works inside the car either. To lock the car I have to lean over and push the button on the passenger door then get out and put the key in the lock. Putting the key in the lock will only lock the drivers door and the boot (not the passenger door?) Also sitting in the car no central locking or auto locking( when you pull off) is working at all.

Things I've tried to do and nothing.... tried to reset the key by putting the key in the ignition to position 2 to 1 four times blah blah... nothing.
Read online about a fuse 63? I'm a different model so fuse board changed but check every fuse on the car and were all good. 
Then read about a box under the steering wheel (possibly controller think it's a Siemens box) again dont have one there as it's now built into fuse board (apparently). 

So now I'm here because using the key so much in the car is starting to wear it out so need to get this sorted really and when you forget something in the car is really upsetting me now as it's a game to lock it back up. 

Thanks for any help in advance and sorry for any bad spelling or grammar I'm not the brightest spark when it comes to reading n writing 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks again people 😁

4 hours ago, Georgeatkins said:

The key fob will unlock all doors on the car but wont even try to lock? None of the central locking works inside the car either. To lock the car I have to lean over and push the button on the passenger door then get out and put the key in the lock. Putting the key in the lock will only lock the drivers door and the boot (not the passenger door?) Also sitting in the car no central locking or auto locking( when you pull off) is working at all.

Things I've tried to do and nothing.... tried to reset the key by putting the key in the ignition to position 2 to 1 four times blah blah... nothing.
Read online about a fuse 63? I'm a different model so fuse board changed

The fuse for passenger door locking is F41 on the early fusebox, or F133 on the later version. However this also powers the unlocking of all doors so is unlikely to be the problem.

One thing to check is the door ajar switches. Verify that the interior light, and the door ajar warning lamp respond to each door (inc boot) in turn being opened and closed.

Also verify if the boot release button is disabled by the keyfob lock button, with any combination of the main doors left unlocked.

There are two different locking systems on the Mk2/2a Focus. 4/5 door versions with rear electric windows use electronic door modules in each front door, controlled via the CAN bus.

4/5 door versions with manual rear windows have the locking controlled by relays inside the passenger fusebox. I assume 3 door versions will be this type. In this case, one motor does locking and unlocking in each main door, reversing the polarity of its connections to reverse the motor to unlock. This means there is no wiring in the car that is specific to locking, same wire pairs are used to unlock, just powered the other way. With both door motors not locking, it is less likely to be a fault in one door.

Faulty door ajar switches will prevent motorised locking (the key in the driver door is a direct physical link, no power needed).

But if the door ajar switches are ok, it sounds like an internal fault in the passenger fusebox (aka GEM or BCM on the Focus). The relays for locking are soldered to the pcb, so are not easily tested or changed. A second hand GEM from a near identical car might be the best solution if all else fails. This is usually a simple swap without programming on the Mk2/2a Focus, provided it comes from a car with identical features.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi mate thanks for getting back to me. 

More information on the problem. I have checked all the doors and the door ajar works fine on both doors and the boot.

The boot release button works fine and lock again when i close it. How do I disable and re-enable the boot? Could the locks have been disabled like this?

If this does turn out to be and gem or a bca problem would this be a trip to a garage or is it a simple swap. I'm no mechanic that's for sure but I'm willing to give anything a try.

Thanks for your reply and your help buddy!

Sorry one more thing to add. 

I only have one key so if it could be a program problem, when I tried to reprogram they key would it of failed the process with not having a second key? 

Just seams strange that it unlocks with the button on the key but not lock?

Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, Georgeatkins said:

I only have one key so if it could be a program problem, when I tried to reprogram they key would it of failed the process with not having a second key? 

Just seams strange that it unlocks with the button on the key but not lock?

There is no need for two keys for the central locking. One should be fine. Re-programming the immobiliser (PATS) does need two keys, but this is a very different thing, almost completely separate from central locking. If the key starts the car ok, PATS is ok.

If it was only the fob that failed to lock, I would suspect the fob first. But if using the driver door manual lock does not lock the passenger door, then that suggests a relay or other hardware problem in the GEM.

People have had success just changing the GEM for a second hand one, but it would have to be from a 3 door car with the same trim level and similar age, ie a Mk2, not Mk2a.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club