Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Downtime Repairs

IllogicalCpt

Hi everyone, hope you are all keeping safe? I usually drive about 500 miles a week for work but that's been knocked on the head for the foreseeable.. so thought it might be a good time to attempt to do a few jobs on my focus, now I firmly believe my car has been involved in a front end impact of some sort at some time.  I bought it second hand and had the dealer respray the front bumper after 6 months as the clear coat started peeling off, it was believed it had been badly repaired, I have also now found that the front drivers side wing appears to be bubbling near the arch and in the clear coat I can see little bubbles, prob from moisture getting under a previous repair...

So to cut a long story short (believe it or not) I am looking for a guide of some kind on how and what to use to sand down the area, prime and re-spray, the car is race red so a solid colour...

There are alot of videos etc out there but everyone has their own ways of doing things and what they use, so need a little clarity

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

20200312_113431.jpg

No the bubbling is due to moisture build up inside the arch which starts to corode and comes through to the front. If you remove the wheel and arch liner (pretty straight forward) then look inside you will see where it's from. So concentrate on cleaning up any rust from behind which may cause a hole in the front during the process. Remove all traces of rust so you see silver metal with either a grinding wheel or steel wool then use a rust convertor followed by a rust preventive paint preferably one that dispenses water. Once that is fixed then it's sorting the out skin depending on the state it will never be perfect DIY.

• Like 1

In my younger days (!), I attempted several times to do similar repair like this, every one was an unmitigated disaster!  I so admire people that have the skills to carry out competent body repairs. I have a 'guy' that does stuff for me, it's a proper body shop with skilled men, and expensive spray ovens, and decades of experience, you just can't duplicate that stuff at home. But, if you do attempt it yourself, best of luck... (Don't forget to post the before/after shots!)

• Like 1

Take it to the Repair Shop's Dom Chinea . . . :biggrin:

• Haha 1

It’s one of those jobs where it can easily end up looking worse after you attempt the repair. It’s not clear to me if rust is causing the bubbling or if the bubbling is in the cleAr lacquer and the red underneath is fine

It’s one of those jobs where it can easily end up looking worse after you attempt the repair. It’s not clear to me if rust is causing the bubbling or if the bubbling is in the cleAr lacquer and the red underneath is fine Eg due to poor materials or spraying in damp conditions

Something else to consider, if the rust has spread over a large area or if the repair is going to take time then it's sometimes just as easy to source a donor wing and respray it if appropriate.

I had a similar problem, and was going to do it myself but in the end getting a second hand wing was easier, just haven't fitted it yet

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses!! I have considered the donor wing approach but to be honest I am unsure how to remove the current one and refit as to be honest that approach would probably work better, anyone got the knowhow on removing the old and replacing? I have a sizable shed with heaters so spraying a replacement one in there with our climate would probably be the best way forward!

What a fabulous video! I have decades worth of tools built up, and this guy dismantles his car with a few real basics, at the roadside, AND using only one hand! Frigin' genius!

• Haha 1

Thanks for that Vid, i've taken the plunge and ordered a replacement wing from the net, the one issue i am having is trying to find a supplier of Race Red Spray Paint... I thought things might be a bit tricky given the current circumstances but i cannot find it anywhere... can find plenty of touch up kits, anyone got any reliable suppliers they use?

Well my new wing arrived, found a supplier of paint so the last couple of days I've primed and now painted, just in the middle.of the lacquering process, the pic is with no lacquer on, will post a follow up!

20200402_135342.jpg

• Like 4

Well I think it's going to need a bit of polishing to get the surface smooth, but I'll let it harden off for a few days then break out the buffer

20200402_191634.jpg

20200402_191656.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So a little update, the finish was rubbish so I've sanded it back and started again, got a good bed of colour on it now, it's just hardening off before I apply the lacquer

Learning all the time but getting there....

15877558716936027130397281677727.jpg

• Like 2

Delighted to learn that painting isn't as easy as thought. Makes me feel better that the £1000s I've spent in the last 4 decades on getting repair work professionally done hasn't been squandered! 🤣 Best of luck buddy, hope it all turns out well...

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Delighted to learn that painting isn't as easy as thought. Makes me feel better that the £1000s I've spent in the last 4 decades on getting repair work professionally done hasn't been squandered! 🤣 Best of luck buddy, hope it all turns out well...

Took 3 attempts on my old Focus to do the bonnet, first we had a bunch of flies decide to land on the wet paint, then the second attempt didn't dry evenly due to temperature variance (it was spring and we went from -5 to 18c in one day), the final attempt went well enough but the clear coat started peeling near the end when the car was getting scrapped. 

So it's a fun challenge, and I found you really need a controlled dust free environment to do this if possible and a lot of patience. The actual process itself isn't hard but it's ensuring the job cures properly and without blemishes is the difficult part.. Being able to buff and polish with power tools is also highly recommended.

I’ve come to realise I just don’t have the patience, skill or environment for painting. It’s just so hard to get even a decent finish and for me it’s just not worth the effort. 

First attempt at vinyl wrapping this week and that’s far more to my liking!

Next thing, I’m going to learn how to powder coat

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IllogicalCpt said:

So a little update, the finish was rubbish so I've sanded it back and started again, got a good bed of colour on it now, it's just hardening off before I apply the lacquer

Learning all the time but getting there....

15877558716936027130397281677727.jpg

Are you using spray cans? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club