Sign in to follow this  
Nikos91

Ford Focus MK 4 brake dimensions

Hallo,

I am opening this topic in order to find out what happens with the brake discs dimensions of new Ford Focus mk4.  Manufacturer gives two options. The first one is for vehicles with torsion beam suspension which are equipped with 282mm/271mm (front/rear). The other one is for vehicles with multilink rear suspension which are equipped with 308mm/302mm. My car which is a Ford Focus MK 4 (04/19) 1.5 150 hp petrol is equipped with 282mm (?) at front and 302mm at rear. But, taking a look at ford ecat with my VIN, my car should be equipped with 308mm brake discs at front. I feel that something is wrong here.

Is it possible to wear bigger brakes at rear axle than at front?Does anybody face the same issue? Is there a need for recall?

That does seem really weird but I'm sure there is some sort of explanation somebody on here may know @JW1982

I don't know the answer, but I do know that ECAT or whatever the dealers use is not always correct. 

My ACM was replaced under warranty and the one that was sent, which was the one listed had a different part number from the factory fitted one and the technician could not tune it in. When it was replaced with one with the same serial number it worked perfectly, so you might need to measure your discs to check if ECAT is correct.

Ford stopped fitting multilink to most 1.5 petrol cars during May 2019, so this might have something to do with the confusion with the brake sizes.

I have one of the first of these cars with the new spec, a 150 bhp petrol, but because of the lockdown and my car is parked in the street I can't justify taking a wheel off at the moment to check.

2 minutes ago, Tizer said:

I don't know the answer, but I do know that ECAT or whatever the dealers use is not always correct. 

My ACM was replaced under warranty and the one that was sent, which was the one listed had a different part number from the factory fitted one and the technician could not tune it in. When it was replaced with one with the same serial number it worked perfectly, so you might need to measure your discs to check if ECAT is correct.

Ford stopped fitting multilink to most 1.5 petrol cars during May 2019, so this might have something to do with the confusion with the brake sizes.

I have one of the first of these cars with the new spec, a 150 bhp petrol, but because of the lockdown and my car is parked in the street I can't justify taking a wheel off at the moment to check.

Thanks for your answer. My car is fitted with multilink rear suspension and it is equipped with the correct rear discs (302mm). But what about the front? Is it possible to be smaller than the rear. I do not have in mind any other hatchback with this particularity

I'm just as confused as you. I will try to have a look through my wheels when it is light tomorrow to see if my front ones are smaller than my back ones.

@Nikos91 I had a look at my car this morning and my front discs are bigger than the rear ones.

Front discs should always be larger to ensure correct brake bias.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Tizer said:

@Nikos91 I had a look at my car this morning and my front discs are bigger than the rear ones.

@Tizer so something goes wrong with mine...

Looking out of the window at my mk4 STX, the front disks are slightly bigger than the rear, and vented of course, where rears are solid.

Also from other threads I dont think I have multilink suspension, just torsion.

44 minutes ago, Nikos91 said:

@Tizer so something goes wrong with mine...

I don't know, front brakes do most of the braking so I would expect them to be bigger. Did you check what size are actually fitted to your car or just what ECAT said?

When I checked mine I stuck my fingers between the inside rim of the wheels and the top of the discs and the difference feels like about 20 or 30mm in diameter.

If you have access to ECAT you could look for cars that are the same as your one, maybe cars that are for sale, and see what ECAT says about them.

@Tizer my car is equipped with 282mm front discs, but it should be equipped with 308mm according to ecat. Also, at rear axle it is fitted with the correct ones (302mm)

@Guy Heaton because of the fact that your cars has torsion axle at rear, it is equipped with 282mm/271mm (f/r) that's why the front are bigger than the rear!