Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mk2 jack points

Zachaphina

Could someone please confirm the jack points for my mk2 without using the sills. Is it under the number 2, not where its pointing but underneath the actual number. If I put 2 axle stands there it seems a bit unstable. Any insight is appreciated 

P5OkwMy.jpg

9mQxS3f.jpg

FB2BLyx.jpg

The axle stands really need to go on the sills for maximum width, they'll be too close together under the 2.  You can jack up there if you like though.

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The axle stands really need to go on the sills for maximum width, they'll be too close together under the 2.  You can jack up there if you like though.

Always thought that sills should be avoided with axle stands. Only scissor jack should be used as it has cut out slot. Am I being too cautious? 

3 minutes ago, Zachaphina said:

Always thought that sills should be avoided with axle stands. Only scissor jack should be used as it has cut out slot 

As long as there is an even distribution the sill is strong enough to hold up. I had my mk2 on stands for countless hours. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zachaphina said:

Always thought that sills should be avoided with axle stands. Only scissor jack should be used as it has cut out slot. Am I being too cautious? 

You're being too cautious. :smile:

Theres nowhere safer on the MK2 rear than the sills.  On cars with a solid cross beam you could've used that but the independent rear suspension on the MK2 stops that being possible.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

As long as there is an even distribution the sill is strong enough to hold up. I had my mk2 on stands for countless hours. 

Alright fair enough thanks 🙂 

13 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You're being too cautious. :smile:

Theres nowhere safer on the MK2 rear than the sills.  On cars with a solid cross beam you could've used that but the independent rear suspension on the MK2 stops that being possible.

Will grow some balls then. Maybe a small piece of wood between stand and sill?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zachaphina said:

Will grow some balls then. Maybe a small piece of wood between stand and sill?

No the wood could slip or crumple. metal on metal flat is the best bet. 

• Like 1

I made a couple of wooden blocks with slots cut in them to go between the jack or stands and around the lip on the sill - seen too many pictures of the sill lip being crumpled.  Cut the slots across the wood grain (not parallel) and there will be enough strength and the slot stops it slipping out.

• Like 1

As long as the stands go on the toughened jack points it shouldn't crumple, the issue comes when people assume the whole sill is strengthened.

Wood with a slit is ideal on a trolley jack if you don't have the rubber puck on top, but I'm not a fan of wood on axle stands tbh, it's just introducing another possible slip point.  As with corona, working under a car is never completely risk free!

Both front sill jacking points on my car are bent completely, god knows how but they certainly are very bent!

On 6/1/2020 at 10:08 AM, jonj1611 said:

Both front sill jacking points on my car are bent completely, god knows how but they certainly are very bent!

You've made me worry now! 

On 6/1/2020 at 8:08 AM, south_bound said:

I made a couple of wooden blocks with slots cut in them to go between the jack or stands and around the lip on the sill - seen too many pictures of the sill lip being crumpled.  Cut the slots across the wood grain (not parallel) and there will be enough strength and the slot stops it slipping out.

Might give that a go. Seen rubber slot things you can put on axle stands on amazon but dont want to spend a tenner on them lol

Get some rubber bumps, at least if you've a trolley or a scissor lift. Once a car is up, axle stands are an excellent secondary measure for protection just don't use bumpers on these! The bumpers reduce the risk of scraping the metal and creating a rust point, at least that's what I've been told. I also try to avoid scissor jacks at all costs, the only thing scissor jacks are good for are for creating presses with window wiper motors (long story).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club