Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta St-Line MK8 suspension knocking

Hello, I have a 2019 Fiesta St-Line MK8.

A few months after buying it I noticed a knocking noise coming from the right side of the car on uneven roads and in high bumps, even on low speed.

Went to the dealer and they found both the right side front and rear shock absorbers losing oil. Replaced them but a knocking noise remained on the front.  The sway bar links were tightened. Also dind't solve. Lastly the suspension arm from the right front was also replaced. Nothing solved the problem under warranty.

The chief mechanic told me Ford was not allowing any more interventions because too many things were tried without success so I'd have to wait from a engineer from the Tecnhinal Department to come to identify the origin. Another cars on the dealer had the noise also in the same conditions, all of them St-Line. The chief mechanic agreed that the knocking is not normal and must be defect and probably after the enginneer visit Ford will launch a recall for that matter. Also told me he suspected that the silent blocks for the Fiesta needed to be more thick and could be the source of the noise.

However the engineer never showed up because of the "pandemic". An excuse for cleaning their hands. Instead, they tested a car somewhere that supposedly has the same knocking and concluded that the knocking is not an anomaly, but a characteristic of the St-Line models.

I can't accept such conclusion from a supposed engineer that never entered my car. The chief mechanic told me that i dind't agreed that is not an anomaly, because no one would buy a car with that noise. But since Ford doens't recognize it as problem, he can't contine to make interventions to try to solve it. I also tried in other Ford workshops without success, either they don't hear it, or they try the same things other tried, without solving it.

I would like to know if anyone has had the knocking noise that I report and how got it fixed. It's such a shame for Ford...

I'm sorry for my bad English.

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem and both Ford and an independent mechanic could not trace the problem.

The independent mechanic assured me it was the drop links which I replaced with no improvement.

If the problem is unique to the ST Line and the only difference with the ST Line is the revised suspension, why does it only occur on the right of the car?

the problem occurs at lower speeds over a sharp bump or those plastic type speed humps. I can repeat the noise every time in certain locations.

I have noticed that that it is harder to replicate with a second passenger in the car which suggests the noise is affected by suspension that is loaded differently.

Let me know if you resolve yours.

On 2/1/2021 at 7:19 PM, Covert19 said:

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem and both Ford and an independent mechanic could not trace the problem.

The independent mechanic assured me it was the drop links which I replaced with no improvement.

If the problem is unique to the ST Line and the only difference with the ST Line is the revised suspension, why does it only occur on the right of the car?

the problem occurs at lower speeds over a sharp bump or those plastic type speed humps. I can repeat the noise every time in certain locations.

I have noticed that that it is harder to replicate with a second passenger in the car which suggests the noise is affected by suspension that is loaded differently.

Let me know if you resolve yours.

Hi, we have exactly the same questions, and even the mechanics can't answer them.

No one can explain what exactly the right side of car has different from the left that could cause this. But the noise can't be normal.

In my case the noise happens also with passengers and even with the car loaded with cargo. But I noticed something unusual. Near where I live there is a sharp bump where the noise occurs everytime. The left part of that bump has collapsed, making the road even and if I pass throw it with the left tyres on the flat part, and only the right part of the car goes over the bump, then no noise at all. For this I have no plausable explanation.

Ford continues to claim it's not an anomaly but can't explain why it happens. I think it's something expensive and they don't want to acknowledge a problem that effects lots of cars when they still have warranty.

I have a friend trying in another dealer where they are still trying to find the problem.

What kind of reparations did they try on your fiesta?

They claimed they couldn't hear anything until I took them on a test drive myself. they wanted the car back for a few days which I can't be without.

I can feel the noise being transmitted through the accelerator pedal as a vibration when I hear it.

I don't have the time to deal with a main dealer so I have tried to resolve it myself. We have a ramp at work and I have not found anything unusual whilst examining the underside and the suspension.

I will check the right engine mount this weekend.

I agree that they know what the issue is but don't want to admit it due to a possible recall.

IMG_0729.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 8:45 PM, Covert19 said:

They claimed they couldn't hear anything until I took them on a test drive myself. they wanted the car back for a few days which I can't be without.

I can feel the noise being transmitted through the accelerator pedal as a vibration when I hear it.

I don't have the time to deal with a main dealer so I have tried to resolve it myself. We have a ramp at work and I have not found anything unusual whilst examining the underside and the suspension.

I will check the right engine mount this weekend.

I agree that they know what the issue is but don't want to admit it due to a possible recall.

IMG_0729.JPG

They never hear by themselves.
When I left my car the 1st time they said everything was ok with the suspension. Then I asked to go test drive the car with someone and the chief mechanic found from just driving that the shock absorbers were dead.
How can someone trust in them? It seems they don't have mechanics anymore...just people that replace parts

Anyway have you found out anything unusual under the car?