Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 1.6 Ti-VCT gearbox failed - Gearbox code needed please help!

Mike_D

Hi All,

The Mrs has got a 2011 mk3 focus 1.6 ti-vct, and last week the gearbox has seemingly catastrophically failed, it knocks when idling, and feels like a bearing or something has collapsed inside and it drived maybe a metre then starts to lock up. Clutch operation is normal and bits ok so I can't see if being clutch / release bearing related. 

My problem is than in the receipts form when I bought the car several years ago, there's a receipt for a rebuilt gearbox. the problem i've got is although they've painted it nicely, they've seemingly done a rubbish job, and they've also removed the sticker with the part numbers off the gearbox casing.

Can anyone help with what it should have in it? I've spoken to a breakers and they reckon it should be a BV6R7002DBF? I can't seem to find any of these for sale anywhere though. Does anyone know if a different code gearbox will fit? I've found an AV6R7002BG for sale, would this be compatible?

Cheers for any help,

Mike

I'm sure 1.6 VCT had a unique gearbox, probably just a different final drive ratio.

Possibly one from a similar specced MK7 Fiesta would be suitable (as more popular) or even just a standard 1.6 petrol will be ok.

If you go to a Ford parts desk with your VIN they will be able to give you the part number of the gearbox

Thanks @DaveT70, my messing with fords was always older stuff, but i guess any gearbox out any mk3 1.6 petrol should physically fit? I think the fiesta box has a different gear selector? Ive got the vin ready for ford tomorrow. Im not too fussed about the exact final drive unless it sends the speedo reading all to pot, she had a fiesta with the same engine before and that was a little flier compared to the focus, far sportier gearing.

15 hours ago, Mike_D said:

I think the fiesta box has a different gear selector?

Yes and of course yours is a six speed, I forgot about that

The Focus MK3/MK3.5  1.6 TI-VCT engine has the old 5-speed IB5 gearbox.

@JW1982 is correct, it's a 5 speed IB5 in this. You seem to be the top man on compatability from my searching, I've spoken to Ford and they said it should have the BV6R7002DBF box, from reading up, the B at the start just designates the year? V6R is the box type, 7002 is gearbox, then the last numbers are the box identifiers? I'm guessing the AV6R7002BG would fit as it's out a mk3 with the same engine, is there a slight difference to the final drive in those last numbers? Both are 5 speeds. I'm guessing it shouldn't affect the speedo reading? Would a CMAX box fit too?

Cheers for the help 🙂

19 minutes ago, Mike_D said:

@JW1982 is correct, it's a 5 speed IB5 in this. You seem to be the top man on compatability from my searching, I've spoken to Ford and they said it should have the BV6R7002DBF box, from reading up, the B at the start just designates the year? V6R is the box type, 7002 is gearbox, then the last numbers are the box identifiers? I'm guessing the AV6R7002BG would fit as it's out a mk3 with the same engine, is there a slight difference to the final drive in those last numbers? Both are 5 speeds. I'm guessing it shouldn't affect the speedo reading? Would a CMAX box fit too?

Cheers for the help 🙂

I'd say no.

There's more of a difference going from BV6R to AV6R than there is going from say BF to BG as the year introduction change could mean major incompatibility.

If your box is BV6R7002DBF ( I presume the "D" is a typo) or BV6R 7002 BF, then going to BG BH BJ etc will be OK.

The BV6R is important, all manual gearboxes are 7002, the "B" at the end is the derivative of the "BV6R" box and the "F" at the end is just the engineering level (when the part was first released from drawing it would've been "BA", each time it is upgraded it goes up a level), so to go higher is good, lower not advised. The prefix should remain BV6R unless you know for certain it will fit.

C-Max uses same boxes and Kuga (2WD)

25 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

I'd say no.

There's more of a difference going from BV6R to AV6R than there is going from say BF to BG as the year introduction change could mean major incompatibility.

If your box is BV6R7002DBF ( I presume the "D" is a typo) or BV6R 7002 BF, then going to BG BH BJ etc will be OK.

The BV6R is important, all manual gearboxes are 7002, the "B" at the end is the derivative of the "BV6R" box and the "F" at the end is just the engineering level (when the part was first released from drawing it would've been "BA", each time it is upgraded it goes up a level), so to go higher is good, lower not advised. The prefix should remain BV6R unless you know for certain it will fit.

C-Max uses same boxes and Kuga (2WD)

The DBF is correct, although I can only find those boxes listed in Poland or Spain, see pic below:

image.png.c5f01c06de744e7d91d7da508986eac2.png

Also, on that note of the introduction year being that first letter, there are loads of later AV6R boxes as well, in 2015 Cmax's etc?

All fun and games eh!

Right OK, you would need to stick to "DB" then, the "F" is the engineering level.

Fitting an AV6R could be as daft as final drive ratio different (which you could reconfigure with Forscan) but could also not physically fit.

Cheers @DaveT70

The bit that is getting me is this AV6R7002BG is out of this car:

image.png.217bdee1ed9f5f07b6e6b509e98adf3b.png

And this is mine it's going into: (last number obscured)

image.png.17aa1fc60e725541e9f3c479b349ce52.png

I can't see how it can't fit the same engine / chassis combo?  Both are titanium spec so will both have cruise control too

Cheers,

Mike 🙂

Is one a six speed, one a five? Maybe?

You can fit a six but you will need linkage and some software updates/configuration changes

1 minute ago, DaveT70 said:

Is one a six speed, one a five? Maybe?

You can fit a six but you will need linkage and some software updates/configuration changes

No, top one is a five speed

From what I can see, it will be OK, look into the specs a bit more on ETIS, see if the final drive ratio is different.

Has it leaked and run out of its oil I wonder? These are fairly reliable boxes going back quite a long time (IB5 used to be fitted to the 1.4 and 1.6 Rovers!) though not impossible for the odd one to fail I guess. 

Part number BV6R-7002-DBF is installed during production from 03-01-2011 to 30-11-2011 on the Focus MK3 with 85, 105 and 125 HP 1.6 TI-VCT engines. This part number is only used on the Focus MK3.

Part number AV6R-7002-BM is installed during production from 30-11-2011 to 04-10-2012 on the Focus MK3 with 85, 105 and 125 HP 1.6 TI-VCT engines. This part number is used on the Focus MK3 and C-max/Grand C-max MK2/MK2.5.

Part number DV6R-7002-ABD is installed during production from 04-10-2012 onwards on the Focus MK3 with 85, 105 and 125 HP 1.6 TI-VCT engines. This part number is used on the Focus MK3 and MK3.5.

Ford does not consider these part numbers to be compatible/interchangable. 

Thanks for that @JW1982, I wonder what they changed to deem them incompatible...

The search for a new box continues! 

6 hours ago, Mike_D said:

Thanks for that @JW1982, I wonder what they changed to deem them incompatible...

The search for a new box continues! 

Why not have yours rebuilt?

5 hours ago, Hearsepilot said:

Why not have yours rebuilt?

I've got the receipt from before I bought the car for it being rebuilt @82k miles and it has failed again @94k miles, i'm assuming the company that did it must have done a shoddy job, but the way it failed, there was no untoward noises up until a very brief knocking in 2nd, (3rd up were quiet) then it locked up completely. Either a bearing / bearings have collapsed, or something else inside has given way. Bearing in mind the car does about 4k a year, something seems amiss with this box so i'm not prepared to spend the rebuild cost on it, i'd rather just lob another in. 🙂

• Like 1

If you're going to Shell out on a replacement gearbox, is it not worth upgrading to six speed, if you're keeping the car?

Take mount, driveshafts and linkage from the donor car too?

The 1.6 TI-VCT was never available with a 6-Speed gearbox.

In theory the 6-speed B6 gearbox will fit the 1.6 TI-VCT if combined with the 1.6 ECOboost clutch, dual mass flywheel, driveshafts and gearbox mounts. However since the gear ratio's and number of gears are integrated into the PCM software (and not configurable) The actual speed/RPM ratio will no longer match the speed/RPM ratio that is programmed into the PCM software. This will be detected as clutch slip and as a result of this the Cruise Control (if applicable) will stop working and the PCM will put the engine into limp mode.

Another point of concern is that the gear ratio's of the turbocharged high torque 1.0 ECOboost or 1.6 ECOboost B6 gearboxes do not really match the characteristics of the naturally aspirated 1.6 TI-VCT engine.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

The 1.6 TI-VCT was never available with a 6-Speed gearbox.

In theory the 6-speed B6 gearbox will fit the 1.6 TI-VCT if combined with the 1.6 ECOboost clutch, dual mass flywheel, driveshafts and gearbox mounts. However since the gear ratio's and number of gears are integrated into the PCM software (and not configurable) The actual speed/RPM ratio will no longer match the speed/RPM ratio that is programmed into the PCM software. This will be detected as clutch slip and as a result of this the Cruise Control (if applicable) will stop working and the PCM will put the engine into limp mode.

Another point of concern is that the gear ratio's of the turbocharged high torque 1.0 ECOboost or 1.6 ECOboost B6 gearboxes do not really match the characteristics of the naturally aspirated 1.6 TI-VCT engine.

Forget that idea then😄

• 5 weeks later...

In the interests of closure, 'cos it does my nut in when there's no conclusion to a thread, I managed to score the correct code BV6R-7002-DBF gearbox off a breaker on facebook swaps and sales. All fitted and working back as it should do now 🙂

Cheers for the help all!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 3/1/2022 at 6:24 PM, JW1982 said:

Part number BV6R-7002-DBF is installed during production from 03-01-2011 to 30-11-2011 on the Focus MK3 with 85, 105 and 125 HP 1.6 TI-VCT engines. This part number is only used on the Focus MK3.

Part number AV6R-7002-BM is installed during production from 30-11-2011 to 04-10-2012 on the Focus MK3 with 85, 105 and 125 HP 1.6 TI-VCT engines. This part number is used on the Focus MK3 and C-max/Grand C-max MK2/MK2.5.

Part number DV6R-7002-ABD is installed during production from 04-10-2012 onwards on the Focus MK3 with 85, 105 and 125 HP 1.6 TI-VCT engines. This part number is used on the Focus MK3 and MK3.5.

Ford does not consider these part numbers to be compatible/interchangable. 

Hi, do you know if those part numbers also apply to Europe?

Where there any part numbers before 2011 ? I think I remember reading that some MK3 where made in late 2010.

Thanks 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club