Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 ecoboost strange find in oil pump

Desterer

Hi All, 

I'm currently replacing the head gasket on my 1.0 ecoboost focus. I removed the oil sump to give it a clean and dismounted the oil pump for the same reason.

When cleaning out the oil pump mesh I saw a couple of pieces of metal there. I managed to remove them all from the pump and the pieces seem to make up a small ring. 

I don't know what this could be, if someone has any ideas please let me know. My guess is that it's a piston pin retainer in which case I have a whole lot of work to replace it, but on the other hand, seems a bit too small to be that 

Attached photo below, the ring is about 12-13mm in diameter and 1-1.5mm thick 

Any help in solving this mystery will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks  

1658743225223.jpg

• Sad 1

No idea sorry but clearly shouldn't be there....glad i went with the 1.5tdi over the 1.0 to be honest lol but hope you get to the bottom of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Desterer said:

I'm currently replacing the head gasket on my 1.0 ecoboost focus. I removed the oil sump to give it a clean and dismounted the oil pump for the same reason.

When cleaning out the oil pump mesh I saw a couple of pieces of metal there. I managed to remove them all from the pump and the pieces seem to make up a small ring

I fear you are fighting a loosing battle. I know of only one person who has been able to save a 1.0 Ecoboost engine from the scrap heap. Once you are at the stage of needing a new head gasket and are also finding bits of metal in the oil pump strainer I think you can measure the remaining life of the engine in days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Desterer said:

My guess is that it's a piston pin retainer in which case I have a whole lot of work to replace it, but on the other hand, seems a bit too small to be that 

It is about the right size for the gudgeon pin retaining clip, but seems to be the wrong type of material. Also if it was to be that, the bore and the piston will have both been badly scored for the bit to have found there way out.

• Like 2

Take it to the Ford parts counter and ask for a new one. :laugh:

Seriously though, I'm not sure what it is either unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'm still confused about this one haha Will talk with a friend of mine who is a mechanic tonight maybe he'll know what this is lol

If there is anyone else on here who'd have any idea what this could be, I would be grateful for your input 🙂  

I'm strongly considering now if it's even worth repairing, maybe it's time to look for a new engine

What ever the part is, this is a photo of all the bits to make a 1.0 Ecoboost engine

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2014/06/25/ford_s-tiny-but-powerful-1-0-litre-ecoboost-wins-international-e.html

and for what it's worth my opinion is don't even try to repair it. Have you checked that the turbo is still in 100% working order ?

• Like 1

The turbo was working fine before the head gasket issue, When I removed it I checked if there was any play on the bearings and all seemed fine to me  

• Like 1

Read the story of Sarah and the 2018 Ecoboost 1.0 especially when it gets nearly to the end and the Turbo fails

On 7/20/2022 at 12:45 PM, Sarah46 said:

I think I am going to write a soap opera on the story of this car, if I don't I may just cry...

So the car wasn't ready yesterday as I fully expected, so I didn't have to eat my hat after all BUT the dealer has rung today to say the turbo failed on the engine test ( looked fine visually when examined, only when they ran it, it failed ).

The only good news from that is that it is definitely due to the existing issue, the bad news is that they now need to ask Ford if they'll pay for all / some of it, they have said it will be about £700 at our retail rate to fix so if they say no, we'll have to add that to the already £525 ish  we already need to pay on top for this poxy engine and crappy car. 

Just waiting to hear back from Ford now as to what they will do. I think pigs will fly before they cover this - but we all live in hope. Fingers crossed.    

• Like 2

Judges praise the 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine as “one of the finest examples of powertrain engineering”

Just shows how wrong judges can be . . . .

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I've certainly changed my view of the 1.0 ecoboost engine. Even though I had one for best part of 6 years and no engine trouble, and was remapped. 

After seeing so many folk on here with blown engines and high costs to replace. I'm now no fan of that engine. My partner's fiesta ecoboost is ok after 77k and 6 yrs old also. No bits of anything out the sump plug  when I change the oil ( yet!!!!) 

It will be sold on in the next 18 months or so , before the dreaded cambelt change. 

Then back to a Japanese or  Korean brand. 

Same goes for my Mondeo, that will be replaced with Japanese or Korean brand. 

Had many Japanese cars over the last 40 years that gave no trouble at all. 

• Like 2

And that ring doesn't look like gudgeon pin retainer clip. Esp as it's a complete circle. 

• Like 3

I'm in the same situation. I've had the Mk3 since January 2016 and done around 30,00 in that time. It's been perfectly fine but It's now due the cambelt change and I've pretty much decided to take the hit of trading it in without having it done. Like you I've decided to go for a far eastern brand.

All the gudgeon pin retainers I've ever seen are either a simple spring wire ring with a gap or a circlip.

• Like 3

Not sure if this is a stock image, and I've never seen the inside of a 1.0EB turbo, but these do look very similar.  Can you tell if it was an open ended circlip style rather than a full circle before the break?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193127424625

Screenshot_20220725-200849.thumb.png.bdeb8781d84fbaa58e4f747454dc7db4.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I've never seen the inside of a 1.0EB turbo, but these do look very similar. 

They do indeed look very possibly like the same thing. I guess bits from the turbo could find there way through the oil guide and back it to the main engine.

• Like 2

It's definitely not a gudgeon pin clip. Such clips are formed from a wire profile. I found similar pieces in a previous project and would suspect turbo bearing failure.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, unofix said:

They do indeed look very possibly like the same thing. I guess bits from the turbo could find there way through the oil guide and back it to the main engine.

Down the oil scavenge from the turbo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Not sure if this is a stock image, and I've never seen the inside of a 1.0EB turbo, but these do look very similar.  Can you tell if it was an open ended circlip style rather than a full circle before the break?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193127424625

Screenshot_20220725-200849.thumb.png.bdeb8781d84fbaa58e4f747454dc7db4.png

Thank you so much, you are correct this is it ! 

I just took apart the turbo to confirm if that's it and surely it is. 

It must have broken and made it's way down the pipe into the engine and thankfully stopped by the oil pump mesh

At least now I know what I need to get, probably just going to buy a second hand turbo 

Once again a thank you for helping me out, I really appreciate it and thanks to everyone else who replied too ! 

And it goes without saying very disappointed with Ford, as if a blown head gasket wasn't enough

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club