Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Struggling to reset oil life MK4 focus

OJT509

Hi guys,

I recently had a software update for my gearbox, but when the car came back the oil life reset seems to have gone from my menu (which I read is normal after the update to stop people resetting it on their own).

I just had an oil change at an independent garage and they didn't reset the oil life. Of course my menu has vanished now so I can't do that way, I looked for alternatives such as trying the gas & brake pedal to the floor for 25 seconds with ignition on to reset, but that doesn't seem to work either and I have no confirmation message. I was just wondering if there was any other ways that I can't find?

TIA.

9 minutes ago, OJT509 said:

Hi guys,

I recently had a software update for my gearbox, but when the car came back the oil life reset seems to have gone from my menu (which I read is normal after the update to stop people resetting it on their own).

I just had an oil change at an independent garage and they didn't reset the oil life. Of course my menu has vanished now so I can't do that way, I looked for alternatives such as trying the gas & brake pedal to the floor for 25 seconds with ignition on to reset, but that doesn't seem to work either and I have no confirmation message. I was just wondering if there was any other ways that I can't find?

TIA.

You might be able to do it with FORScan.

• Like 1

What is the oil life in the cluster showing. Should show that even if the reset has gone

14 minutes ago, iantt said:

What is the oil life in the cluster showing. Should show that even if the reset has gone

I don't have anything in the cluster at all now. Ford removed the option completely when I got the update. I'm just using the ford pass app which is reading 43% and it was only changed 2-3 days ago so not been reset.

Have a read here, https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20200  it may work on your car.

You will need the Laptop version of FORScan and an Extended Licence. There might also be a way of resetting it with FORScan without it appearing in your menu and without an Extended Licence, I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, OJT509 said:

I don't have anything in the cluster at all now. Ford removed the option completely when I got the update. I'm just using the ford pass app which is reading 43% and it was only changed 2-3 days ago so not been reset.

I'm still trying to figure out the oil Life indicator on the Focus Mk4. After I had my car serviced by a Ford main dealer, I expected that the oil life indicator would show 100% but in fact it was still showing 7%

I was going to reset it myself using FORScan when I thought "why the hell should I ?" so planned to take it back to the dealer the following week and make them do it. However sometime in the next 6 days without me doing anything the Ford Pass App suddenly showed oil life 98%. Can this be remotely reset ? Does the car do it by itself by checking the oil quality ? Is it controlled by aliens from the planet Ford ? Answers on a postcard to 'Blue Peter, Television Center PO Box 99' 🤣

Screenshot_20220731-145058.PNG

Already posted a while back about this on here with no luck.

Also mentioned it on the Forscan forum, again, suggestions but nothing worked.

You can reset it via Forscan, that's how I ended up doing it.

There can also be a delay on the reset via the Ford pass app. 

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

Have a read here, https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20200  it may work on your car.

You will need the Laptop version of FORScan and an Extended Licence. There might also be a way of resetting it with FORScan without it appearing in your menu and without an Extended Licence, I'm not sure.

That didn't work on my Focus either.

I've got an idea diesels may use an oil quality sensor but I don't think the petrols do?  Mine doesn't seem to be based on time at all, which is worrying for people with wetbelts...

Still 100%...  16 months old.  125 miles.

1866522843_Screenshot_20220731-1443072.thumb.png.a997a9d6d2740c83709b08933ba172c0.png

48 minutes ago, unofix said:

However sometime in the next 6 days without me doing anything the Ford Pass App suddenly showed oil life 98%. Can this be remotely reset ? Does the car do it by itself by checking the oil quality ?

Your 2.0 Diesel may have an oil quality sensor, it seems strange that it lost 2% in 6 days if it didn't and I'm sure it can be set remotely.

17 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I've got an idea diesels may use an oil quality sensor but I don't think the petrols do?  Mine doesn't seem to be based on time at all, which is worrying for people with wetbelts...

Ours must be an Algorithm bot not a very good one if it does not take time into account.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I suspect that it does monitor the oil quality via a sensor (but I'm not sure). It never did show 100% but knowing how many garages don't like to give time for the oil to fully drain then I'm not surprised that when it did reset it had already lost 2%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

1866522843_Screenshot_20220731-1443072.thumb.png.a997a9d6d2740c83709b08933ba172c0.png

Ours was last serviced back in February and the oil life on Ford pass app is showing it's still at 87% ....not sure on how many miles we have done since the service without digging out the invoice......

Curiosity got the better of me .....service records show 16455 current mileage 18690.

So 2235 miles.

Screenshot_20220731-160817_FordPass.thumb.jpg.4cc1173d0e0f5b5b4d39d79627f122d4.jpg

Edited by Wino
Additional information
  • Like 1

As an update for all

i followed the online steps. 

#1 Turn on ignition

#2 Foot brake and gas pedal pushed to floor and hold there for 25 seconds. 

#3 release pedals switched ignition off. 

I didn’t have a confirmation message or anything like that. But I just ran the car around the block to let the app gather up to date info and the oil life has reset to 100% on the FordPass app!

7 hours ago, Wino said:

Already posted a while back about this on here with no luck.

Also mentioned it on the Forscan forum, again, suggestions but nothing worked.

You can reset it via Forscan, that's how I ended up doing it.

There can also be a delay on the reset via the Ford pass app. 

I think the delay is right! Seemed to fix after I ran it around the block for 10 mins!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Managed to get the oil life back on the IPC but it's now showing 16000+ miles and 260 + days since the oil was changed which is possibly what it was at prior to being removed by Ford when it went in for the software update (Powertrain module).

Still can't find an option to reset it without doing so on Forscan.

The last time it was changed was back in late Feb / March and although it's also saying on the Ford pass app that the oil life is at 83% so a long way to go as of yet.

Will have another look later IF I get chance.

40 minutes ago, Wino said:

Managed to get the oil life back on the IPC but it's now showing 16000+ miles and 260 + days since the oil was changed

I have the Ecoblue 2.0 and have tried to get this displayed on the IC but so far without any luck. What settings have you changed with FORScan to get it back ?

It's only showing the distance and days since the last oil change which are both incorrect.

If you alter the settings in Forscan  the IPC direct configuration menu then disable oil change reminder and enable the oil minder distance and time.

I've got the oil change mileage up in the oscalation field which still shows the mileage as it went to the dealers at 16100 but have not found a way to change it as of yet. Tried the service procedure option but it wast in there either.

• Thanks 1

This update might be of some  interest @unofix ......

Two screenshots of the Ford pass app regarding the oil life.... the first one is clearly showing 100% and service due Sept 2023 and the bottom one 87% and service due Feb 2023 ( which is correct). So according to the app it has been reset as of today.

So perhaps the ignition on and press both brake and accelerator together for a good 30 seconds does reset it but you get no notification on the dashboard.

Screenshot_20220920-162311_FordPass.thumb.jpg.bf266fb371d752bba9cc5f94ae7952f1.jpgScreenshot_20220731-160817_FordPass.thumb.jpg.b6d5785253251d264068c02e7bca035e.jpg

Hi @Wino thanks for the screen shots.

My car does not seem to be able to display the oil life remaining, but I know that some cars do. My phone app seems to work and is quite like yours.

Screenshot_20220920-165256.PNG

DSC_0354.JPG

DSC_0355.JPG

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hi @Wino thanks for the screen shots.

My car does not seem to be able to display the oil life remaining, but I know that some cars do. My phone app seems to work and is quite like yours.

Screenshot_20220920-165256.PNG

DSC_0354.JPG

DSC_0355.JPG

So you still have the option of resetting the oil life ? 

Ours won't display the oil life you have in pic one unless I go through the process I explained earlier but even then it doesnt reset either way so pretty much pointless having on the IC so have removed it via Forscan. 

• Like 1

You might like this video, yes it is in German but there are subtitles and I'm sure you will be able to understand what he does.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, unofix said:

You might like this video, yes it is in German but there are subtitles and I'm sure you will be able to understand what he does.

From what I can gather from the video, it looks the same as what I did this morning to put the oil life back on the IC itself, but does not allow anything else and no reset option.

I did think of putting the IPC module back to asbuilt but.....didn't as not entirely sure if it would alter anything else.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

After finally getting the Focus in for its service yesterday 🙄 I can definitely confirm that the oil Life reset is....

Ignition on

Foot on brake and accelerator for 30 seconds

No notification whatsoever, I did think that last time there was a slight blip on the battery symbol to notify it's been done but did not notice anything at all this morning.

Screenshot_20230407-074335_FordPass.thumb.jpg.fb9ac0bc778eab6608f45b99ba0c2bdc.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club