Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Cordless Phone Fault

TomsFocus

Bit of a weird one.  My cordless phone has just thrown a wobbly...lots of random noises, hissing, crackling etc, went through to look at it and no buttons work when on the cradle, then the screen goes blank when off the cradle.

It's 16 months old and literally only been used about 4 times.  Could all of the above just be caused by low battery?

I haven't got any new rechargeable ones, so stuck a couple of standard AAAs in and the handset works.  I daren't put it on the charging cradle with standard batteries though.

I've just found a previous phone, 7 years old on the original batteries...obviously they were drained from storage, but charging fine when plugged in and this old handset works. 

The new one is still under warranty, I just don't want to look a wally by returning it if this is normal for batteries in new phones lol.

Tom, If they are rechargeable ones then they should last a lot longer than 16 months, either they are poor quality batteries or the charger on the phone is faulty. My Panasonic is over five years old and is still using the batteries that were supplied with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, eddie eastwood said:

Tom, If they are rechargeable ones then they should last a lot longer than 16 months, either they are poor quality batteries or the charger on the phone is faulty. My Panasonic is over five years old and is still using the batteries that were supplied with it.

I think it's a charger fault personally. Can you think of any way to prove that without opening the casing and voiding the warranty though?

I think you need to increase the battery's SOC with Forscan 😁

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I think it's a charger fault personally. Can you think of any way to prove that without opening the casing and voiding the warranty though?

For a warranty claim, either the batteries are not fit, or the charger is not fit - you don't have to go taking it apart. Just take the whole thing back and let the retailer investigate.

To answer your initial question, the batteries are NOT consumables, and should last 5-8 years IMO. 

I know you probably have checked, but are the charging terminals/brass contacts nice and clean???

• Like 1

It was bought online so can be posted back hopefully.  (I'm still housebound atm). Don't think it's safe to post used batteries but will see if they specifically ask for them.  I sent the company an email earlier.

The contacts do look clean tbf, though are largely obscured by the plastic casing to prevent accidental touching I think.

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Not realy, with my Panasonic it will give me a message that it is on charge after I have been using the handset for a longish call and whilst charging there is a red indication light on the handset until its finished. The only thing I can suggest is to buy a set of ready charged rechargeable ones and monitor the discharge rate if they are not being recharged while the handset is on the base station.

• Like 1

As a possibe off the wall question, has anyone put up a new mobile or BB mast near you. I'm having a mare with my tv reception even with a filter fitted supposedly to stop interference also my mobile phone has issues with incoming call people on the other end cant hear me when i answer the first time, no issues if and when they ring back.

If you have a multimeter you can set it to DC put the negative in the centre and positive to the outside chrome bit. I do that with laptop chrging bricks to make sure theyre actually outputting.

• Thanks 1

Don't the batteries from your old phone fit in the 'new' one?

Think every cordless phone I've ever had has used AAAs. Though I don't doubt that some brands out there will opt for bespoke/impossible to get replacement batteries.

That aside, it doesn't sound like a battery problem. I reckon the phone is FUBARed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Darkman said:

Don't the batteries from your old phone fit in the 'new' one?

Physically yes, but they aren't the same spec so thought they may have different charging needs. 

Also, after being on charge all night, the battery light on the old phone is still on, so no idea if they'd actually hold charge long enough to accept a call. 🤦‍♂️

12 hours ago, Jimpster said:

As a possibe off the wall question, has anyone put up a new mobile or BB mast near you. I'm having a mare with my tv reception even with a filter fitted supposedly to stop interference also my mobile phone has issues with incoming call people on the other end cant hear me when i answer the first time, no issues if and when they ring back.

If you have a multimeter you can set it to DC put the negative in the centre and positive to the outside chrome bit. I do that with laptop chrging bricks to make sure theyre actually outputting.

I do have a multimeter and thought about just probing the charger but wasn't really sure what sort of figures to look for?  I think it's probably overcharging which has cooked the batteries.

There is a new internet mast not far from me...not quite sure what it's purpose is as it only seems to cover the same area as the pub wifi did anyway lol.  I don't think that would have any effect on charging though.  TV reception is poor at the moment, but it always is during storm season here.  Never considered that might have been affected by the mast but it does make sense.

• Like 1

Tom talk to Restore TV see if they can supply a filter to help with reception, theyre even sending out a technician to go thru my setup and see where the fault lies tomorrow.

I do occasionally take my cordless off the cradle and let it die usually takes about a week, then put it back on to recharge the AAA's

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimpster said:

Tom talk to Restore TV see if they can supply a filter to help with reception, they're even sending out a technician to go thru my setup and see where the fault lies tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up, not really possible for me at the moment though.  Will be interested to see if they can sort yours tomorrow, so do let us know what happens there.

• Like 1

Tom

https://restoretv.uk/whats-happening/

If we believe the interference might be due to mobile signals, and if you are responsible for your own aerial, we can send you a Restore TV approved filter to fit yourself, free of charge. Filters are smaller than a pack of cards and need no batteries or external power supply. They normally plug into the lead between your TV and your aerial. There is more information about filters in our FAQs. The filter blocks the mobile signals being received by your TV equipment and enables you to continue receiving and watching free to view TV as normal.

Full fitting instructions are included with the filter and we can provide further advice online and by phone. We also have a video that shows you how to fit the filter. Cable and satellite services are not affected. In most instances, fitting the filter will resolve interference from mobile signals. If it doesn’t, and if you are eligible, we may be able to arrange for a Restore TV engineer to visit your home. The engineer will test whether mobile signals are the cause of the interference and fit a filter to your TV system.

If the interference is not due to mobile signals, the engineer can provide advice on what might be causing TV interference and advise you on how to retune your TV. The engineer will also fit a filter to prevent any interference if mobile services are upgraded in your area in the future.

• Like 3

Thanks @eddie eastwood

I did have a look at the site after Jimps posted it, but as I say not possible for me at the moment. 

I am not responsible for the aerial, it's a communal one for the block, although I am the only one in the block without Sky so probably the only one using it lol.

(Plus, on top of being housebound, I also can't speak or deal with having people in, but I'm not going to bore you all with that lol.)

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Thanks @eddie eastwood

I did have a look at the site after Jimps posted it, but as I say not possible for me at the moment. 

I am not responsible for the aerial, it's a communal one for the block, although I am the only one in the block without Sky so probably the only one using it lol.

(Plus, on top of being housebound, I also can't speak or deal with having people in, but I'm not going to bore you all with that lol.)

I mounted mine between the patch lead and TV. Will keep you udated on the outcome, if it means a new aerial they're only about £25 and am in a bungalow so should be able to sort it myself.

Engineer just rang to confirm appointment explained to him what was going was told he'd fully check and if needs be bang a new aeriel up [his words] Stay tuned haha

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I do have a multimeter and thought about just probing the charger but wasn't really sure what sort of figures to look for?  I think it's probably overcharging which has cooked the batteries.

It will usually tell you on the power supply's label. Generally "230V AC in", and "<something>V DC out".

It's the DC out value you're testing for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

UPDATE -- the engineer from Restore Tv arrived bang on 9am.Plugged his equipment in and said yes "god awful" signal. Checked tv, wall socket, patch lead and confirmed it was my aeriel.

True to his word just got on with it and "banged" me a new one up. All services returned. I was waiting for hime to hand me a bill, but no all free gratis, cant fault the service. You have to jump thru a few hoops emails calls etc with Restore but all worth it. And he observed distancing and masks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update this...  Company were great with warranty protocol, 3rd party parts supplier not so great... :rolleyes:

But in the end I do now have a working phone again.  I can see that the pins on the old charger were slightly offset within the plastic housing, meaning it was very easy for the phone to get knocked off them while sat in place and they were probably arcing for much of the time even when in place (which explains the noise).  Pins on the new one seem to be perfectly central so hopefully that's better, although it is technically a lower spec part than the one I originally bought.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club