Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Secret menu codes meanings ?

Lisafredford

Cat clean will be a further waste of money. Emissions were fine at the last MOT. You can open the filler with a stick  to pour the injector cleaner in but any breaker's around you will have the Ford Funnel.

Ok 👍 

Don’t drive enough miles daily work is close by but drive it further on evenings and it warms up normal when it not freezing. Temp gauge goes to halfway point. 

I will have to have a look tomo but do I have to take the cover off the engine ? Will have to google the parts as I don’t know the location of every component. Unsure what the air cleaner is ? 
is it the pollen filter ? Get confused because some parts have two names 

Oh don’t think brakes are seized as it’s passed MOT no advisories 

A pollen filter is to filter the air inside the cabin. The air filter cleans the air going into the engine and is located in a box under the bonnet. It is usually secured with a couple of clips and it is easy to change. If it is dark grey, covered in oil  or the box it is in is full of leaves or communist propaganda, then it restricts the amount of air going into the engine which can lead to increased consumption. Short runs to work on cold mornings can drop the MPG to single figures and you suggest that it doesn't warm up fully in the morning or if the car is used in freezing conditions.

Two miles to work should get the needle  moving  but if it isn't moving far, I wouldn't expect good economy.

The engine may have a faulty temperature sensor in the fuel injection. It acts a bit like an old fashioned choke which adds extra fuel when the engine is cold. If the sensor is telling lies the injection thinks it still is cold, and will keep hosing the stuff in so it might be worth having it checked. It will be cheap to replace if it is faulty and a complete waste of money to replace if it isn't, which is more likely because if it was duff, the emissions would be noticeably higher than they should be. This is in the realms of guesswork though but honestly if the car's emissions are good then the truth lies between your  famous lead soled Louboutins  and the short runs that don't let the engine warm through properly. It may be a different story on a long run. Mine does 28-30 in town traffic but 53 on a run. If I drive it the quarter of a mile to work on the sort of morning when I really don't want to walk, I can see the consumption down to 9 MPG!

Great thank you for your time to help me. I will have a nosey around tomo and I’ve put cardboard underneath car. I do get that short journeys wrecks cars components. It’s acted normal again the last week. Just misfire on cold morning starts but fuel been normal on longer drives. If I keep my lead foot lol off the pedal very slow steady on the flat without lights stopping me I have noticed I can get 34-37 mpg. Most times it’s poor mpg like gremlins in it.
when I’ve driven daughters toyota and courtesy cars I’ve never noticed high fuel consumption. 

Deffo going to try what you said though. 
I have a cheap plug in OBD which shows some data so I might be able to check the fuel trims, throttle percentage and load. But as suggested I need Forescan data. 
Will update tomo 🙏👍

Forscan uses a different gadget to the normal OBD2 scanner. Takes an hour and a bit of intuition to learn how to use it but it is pretty good stuff 37 sounds pretty high on a run but in town is probably there or thereabouts. Which engine is the car fitted with?

Hi guys 

I’ve taken some photos and I can’t see any splits in any rubber pipes. They all seem to be clamped on tight. I’ve noticed that the whole wiring has black electrical tape wrapped around the exterior ribbed plastic tubing which covers all the wiring. Is this normal ? 
Also unscrewed the filter top off and the box is clean no birds, squirrels cats or dragons lol 

the ribbed air pipe doesn’t look split and clamp tight. 
only thing I found is a heat in middle section has a hole which needs welding. It’s not got much play so not too urgent. 
The filter looks quite clean it’s not filthy. 
oil ok and no gunk around engine oil cap. 
I have circled some parts in yellow I don’t know what they are called ? Does that pipe with a metal clamp look normal ? 
see pics 

98AC6034-DE99-42E1-B2F2-4AD7F385DEA9.jpeg

8FF6680C-9AE8-4760-841B-5384978A60A8.jpeg

0EA649F1-4553-4CC3-8FA3-87F761841AEB.jpeg

64D909F4-3F14-4027-8E78-3231E6354C2F.jpeg

C46ADF80-3467-4FDA-B1F0-716EADA4E703.jpeg

08652C54-D3CB-472B-9A89-5F3B407DAA04.jpeg

2CD3F6D8-D244-4F54-B203-FC24366F909E.jpeg

D7C15AF7-9D02-4D25-9AD7-C762452E9DB5.jpeg

9B4F9BE3-FF65-4CFA-BA50-C874B5B1084F.jpeg

F0496955-5407-4D69-B39A-D0F6A2EC3665.jpeg

5456AF97-7245-4828-98E2-D75B561734DA.jpeg

5A0A1A21-7EAB-4898-BA50-6DB061546C53.jpeg

54CF747B-4489-4AE9-A1C8-F5F62D3ECA6E.jpeg

BB42E44E-EEF2-4302-9E40-8A5BBDD377DD.jpeg

2BFBCBF1-6DA5-4761-BDBB-AFC42FFB42AF.jpeg

59CE3C52-4603-47FE-BE6E-768865048033.jpeg

C72E96B7-D591-4369-B96D-A545818DCAB2.jpeg

7082D9A3-B634-4C27-ADB2-3EDDCEED97C5.jpeg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lisafredford said:

I’ve noticed that the whole wiring has black electrical tape wrapped around the exterior ribbed plastic tubing which covers all the wiring. Is this normal ? 

Totally normal. The ribbed conduit has a split running the full length of it. If there was no tape wrapped around it the wires would come out.

44 minutes ago, Lisafredford said:

The filter looks quite clean it’s not filthy. 

....and that point our views differ. That air filter is scruffy !!! 🤣

The rest of the photos look normal for a 2014 model as far as I can see.

Nicely snapped; nothing that can't be seen. I would definitely change the air filter and with a drop of injector cleaner You should see a bit more economy. Real world figures for your 1.25 Zetec  average 38 in mixed driving. If you are not getting it warmed through, living in town and giving the car a majority of runs under 10 miles, I think you are probably quite close to as good as you can get. Any improvements are going to be incremental.

Keep the car free from unnecessary stuff so you don't burn fuel carrying it. If you regularly cruise above 60, keep it clean and polished. Make sure the tyres are properly inflated and wearing evenly. If they aren't, have it tracked as it costs fuel to drag a wheel sideways.

Aircon is essential at this time of year but it probably costs you 2-3 MPG.

26 minutes ago, anon said:

Aircon is essential at this time of year but it probably costs you 2-3 MPG.

Lovely to hear an honourable mention for A/C in winter. So many owners think it's just for the 3 days of summer we get in the UK LOL The clue is in the name, where the air is conditioned, removing moisture from it so your darn windows don't steam up. Most of my neighbours don't seem to have a clue what that A/C button is for... :biggrin:

• Like 2

Invented for demisting aircraft canopies which would suffer terribly from condensation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lisafredford said:

8A269106-951A-41C9-8B67-51C00F79148E.jpeg

Top yellow circle is the loom plug for the engine ECU.

Bottom yellow circle is one of the gear selector cables.

I agree that air filter isn't particularly bad.  Seen much worse.  I doubt you'll get a noticeable improvement in economy from replacing it but no harm in doing it as they're cheap & easy.

Thanks guys 👍 

It’s already booked in for its service 

I’ve ordered my own genuine for kit. Castrol, filter, sparks. 
ok so I have no clue about air con. It’s never been serviced since 2018. Should I get it done same time as oil change service

Does it work? If so don't fix it. If not, and it will regas, you will find it a godsend in the winter. Switch it on and select recirculate and the glass will clear like magic.

• Like 1

Hi I’m back again 

yes the air con works but rarely use it and the front and back defrost windows work. All buttons light up and work. 
right I’ve just been for a long steady drive and some long county roads. Got mpg 28.9 and digital miles left is acting normal. No gremlins. But before I drove off I smelt a whiff of fuel out exhaust and a short whiff of fuel at front of engine by what I think is the air intake system plastic pipes tubes. But the whiff was was short. Nobody with me to rev pedal. 
air intakes look expensive parts to buy new. Could it be clogged up with carbon? Sending the signal to the injectors to the coil pack etc creating a misfire ?

E63D1EAA-3E91-4502-B4EA-65EB1CB259C5.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Lisafredford said:

yes the air con works but rarely use it...

One way to keep it working is to use it. Not only for the obvious 'conditioning' benefits of having the air dry out in a greenhouse environment, but using it ensures the A/C system lubricates all necessary system seals, preventing them drying up and causing a leak...

Ok true yes you’re right but if the AC fails does it cause cars to stop turning over and driving ? Does it break cars ? I have no clue about AC 

sorry I’m trying to learn things 

2 minutes ago, Lisafredford said:

Ok true yes you’re right but if the AC fails does it cause cars to stop turning over and driving ? Does it break cars ? I have no clue about AC 

None of the above, if it does 'leak', eventually it just doesn't offer refrigerated air any more...

• Like 1

Lisa, you are overthinking this and, meaning this kindly, your guesses are pretty illogical. The consumption is high but I would reckon that attending to the points I have outlined  will help. Oh, and 28.9 sounds like a figure off the dashboard computer. I regularly calculate such numbers because I am a sad old pedant and I can tell you that you have as much chance of an honest answer from that as you have from Nadhim Zahawi's tax returns.

Brim the tank, drive the car for a week and see how much fuel and how many miles but above all, use an injector cleaner and change the air filter. I am not ruling out a partially blocked exhaust.  Does it go all right when you put your foot down?

• Thanks 1

You have said that the temperature gauge comes to the middle on a warmed engine, I would expect that to happen within three miles on hot or cold days and for it to stay put once it gets there. If you can confirm that, I can confidently rule out the temperature sensor and the thermostat. Please let me know. My gut tells me that even if the car was running as rich as it needs to to burn so much fuel, it would be running very badly and, apart from the slight miss when the car is started, it runs well.

• Like 1

I know I’m like a dog with a bone 

right now for the last week it’s been driving normal but for ages on and off it’s been guzzling petrol and it did have times of limp mode with codes. One garage said it had a misfire coil 2 but when I took it back to the top technician he didn’t find the code and didn’t agree with the guy who said it needed coil pack. So I wasn’t offered a chance to repair that and carried on driving it with symptoms. I’m just worried if there is a fault if it’s going to cause big problems big bills. There’s times it is sluggish slow at building up speed. I know it’s not a sports 1.6 so don’t expect it to have horse power but it consumes fuel like a 1.6. I’ve had other cars bigger engines with better fuel mpg 

On cold days the exhaust seems quite white Smokey. The temp gauge stays at mid point once warmed up. It warms up around 4-5 minutes maybe longer on ice cold days. Will have to video it time it tomorrow. 

No, that's all right . Everything is normal there.

I could see the ignition system  potentially causing a problem, especially in damp weather but would expect you to notice it. Coil two won't have fixed itself and with that potential suspicion, if the measures I outlined don't work, I would try a couple of other things before  changing it. Take some pictures of the plugs when they get changed. It will be a great help to us and is the next logical step in the diagnostic path.

11 minutes ago, Lisafredford said:

Will have to video it time it tomorrow. ..

Not when you're driving you won't!! :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club