Do Not Sell My Personal Information

cam sensor location

stevegbr

can anyone tell me the location of the cam sensor on the ford focus mk2 1.8 duratec he engine.  thanks

IMG-20230601-WA0001.jpg

Maybe @TomsFocus will be able to answer your next question "why hasn't it got one ?"

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, unofix said:

Maybe @TomsFocus will be able to answer your next question "why hasn't it got one ?"

Simple answer is that it doesn't need one so they can save a bit of cash on a sensor and wiring. 

These run fixed cams so the PCM can always calculate the cam position from the crank sensor input.  

• Like 2

thanks for all replys,  thought i was going mad, lol    problem is still there though, erractic idles when cold.   when hot it runs like a dream.  fitted new throttle body, alternator, battery, air filter, intake manifold vacuum solenoid. now at a loss what to do.

50 minutes ago, stevegbr said:

thanks for all replys,  thought i was going mad, lol    problem is still there though, erractic idles when cold.   when hot it runs like a dream.  fitted new throttle body, alternator, battery, air filter, intake manifold vacuum solenoid. now at a loss what to do.

Have you scanned for any fault codes using Forscan?

As it's temp dependent, I'd be checking the coolant temp sensor accuracy, ambient air temp sensor accuracy, lambda sensor heater working.

• Like 1

i have changed the front o2 sensor, on start up white smoke came out of the exhaust and soon cleared and its not happend again, you say temp sensor its reading at the gauge ok, could it still be faulty.

3 minutes ago, stevegbr said:

you say temp sensor its reading at the gauge ok, could it still be faulty.

Yes, the gauge isn't designed to be accurate on modern cars (since about late 90's).  It's more of a guideline to just read normal unless it's very cold or very hot. 

If you don't have Forscan, even the basic OBD readers can often show the real-time temp from the temp sensor.  Watch it rise smoothly and accurately from start-up if possible.

If not scanned with Forscan yet, that would definitely be the next step though.

• Like 2

ok will try that tomorrow.  thanks for your time.

On 6/2/2023 at 10:37 AM, TomsFocus said:

These run fixed cams so the PCM can always calculate the cam position from the crank sensor input

I always thought the cam sensor was to let the ECU know whether cylinder 1 was on the compression or exhaust stroke.

5 minutes ago, mjt said:

I always thought the cam sensor was to let the ECU know whether cylinder 1 was on the compression or exhaust stroke.

It's certainly a useful sensor to have, just not a necessity.

Another consideration is the chain itself, how would you quickly confirm if it'd stretched or skipped a tooth?

I don't know exactly why Ford decided to leave them off of this engine when most fuel injected engines use them.

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It's certainly a useful sensor to have, just not a necessity

That's what I don't understand. The crank sensor will give a signal on both compression and exhaust strokes so how can the ECU differentiate between them without knowing the camshaft position?

1 hour ago, mjt said:

That's what I don't understand. The crank sensor will give a signal on both compression and exhaust strokes so how can the ECU differentiate between then without knowing the camshaft position?

Emission regs wouldn't allow it nowadays but you can just inject on both strokes until it starts.  Don't forget these aren't direct injection, so the fuel isn't particularly well metered (compared to DI) and won't end up in the cylinder until the inlet valve opens.  The fuel and air is drawn in together only during the intake stroke.  Wasted spark means you'll get a spark at every rotation as well, so cam position isn't relevant for that either.

Many older engines would run a default map without a cam input, but this has to be the newest engine I've seen without one as standard.  It was initially designed over 30 years ago though.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2023 at 1:32 PM, TomsFocus said:

Yes, the gauge isn't designed to be accurate on modern cars (since about late 90's).  It's more of a guideline to just read normal unless it's very cold or very hot. 

If you don't have Forscan, even the basic OBD readers can often show the real-time temp from the temp sensor.  Watch it rise smoothly and accurately from start-up if possible.

If not scanned with Forscan yet, that would definitely be the next step though.

Scanned the car warming up today. And it warmed up slowly. Although the temperature gauge was reading 90c the code reader was saying 60c.

IMG-20230603-WA0000.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, stevegbr said:

Scanned the car warming up today. And it warmed up slowly. Although the temperature gauge was reading 90c the code reader was saying 60c.

Yeah, that's how the gauge works, just shows 90 unless there's a problem so that drivers don't get worried unnecessarily.

On the plus side, both your stat and temp sensor appear to be working fine as it's running at 83c when warm.  And as long as it rose smoothly then it looks like we can rule out engine temp as a cause for the rough running.

I can see you're reluctant to do it, but I really would urge you to try and get a Ford specific scan on it.  There is a whole 'layer' of extra fault codes that generic OBD readers can't pick up.  There may not be any, but it only takes one useful Ford specific code to save a lot more time and money swapping parts that may not be faulty.

• Like 2

i have seen fordscan on eBay with the software built in, are they easy to use as not used a pc base one before.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, stevegbr said:

i have seen fordscan on ebay with the software built in, are they easy to use as not used a pc base one before.

I've only used the PC version myself.  There is a mobile app version to use with a phone of a tablet, but I haven't seen a standalone version so can't comment on that.

• Like 1

FORScan is a programme (free for use on windows laptop) which can be used with an ELM327(modified) adapter/cable OR it can be used with the new vLinker FS cable. Stay away form eBay stuff it very often does not work.

FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html

ELM327(modified): https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/product/usb-modified-with-switch-elm327

OR use the new

vLinker FS: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-vLinker-Adapter-FORScan-MS-CAN/dp/B0952P4MLP

• Like 2

will look in to these thanks.

is the sofware free to use or do you have to buy a licence.

10 hours ago, stevegbr said:

i have seen fordscan on ebay with the software built in, are they easy to use as not used a pc base one before.

The paid for phone versions of FORScan with a correct Wireless Adaptor are very easy to use and for diagnostic work including Data Logging it knocks spots of anything else for Ford cars. You can't do programming or a very few of the more dangerous service Functions with the phone version though.

Here is a link to the relevant page in the official FORScan site. Anything you buy off an auction site that claims to be "made for FORScan" or something similar is not an official product and is highly likely to not work correctly. https://forscan.org/download.html

You only need a Licence if you want to do programming with the Windows version or want support.

• Like 2

i have ordered the elm 237 the weekend and should be here soon fingers crossed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevegbr said:

ordered the elm 237

I hope not 🤣🤣

I expect that's just a slight typo 👍

1 hour ago, unofix said:

I hope not 🤣🤣

I expect that's just a slight typo 👍

whoops, just noticed that.   elm 327.  🤣

the part as arrived today, so will be trying later, will let you know what it shows later.

• Like 1