Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"taking Oval To Blue Horizon" Lenny's Build Thread 2010-2015

Lenny

Wtf is that ment to mean?

ah thats another topic for another forum Victoria ;)

Wouldnt have lasted had i been able to see ye.

Ahh Phil the one minute man

Never been one to brag vicki

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Hang in there buddy :lol: 1 week old today

IMG_20141123_190001_zps5uincmha.jpg

• Like 2

Update:

DVR system arrived today,

Updated images on page 54 see link if desired: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/41443-taking-oval-to-blue-horizon-lennys-build-thread-2010-2015/page-54#entry430468

I'm raging now about the Customs regarding import tax fee on the DVR kit,

They Purely picked me out at random;

Irish import law states any parcel imported from outside of the EU which is declared as a gift or at a value under 50 euro it is exempt from import taxation.

The package contains no invoice and the declension form states value of contents 40.00 USD

And declared as a Gift...

IMG_20141124_184419_zpss4hygn3_edit_1416

The customs sent letter requesting receipt of purchase,

Then taxed me based on that. Thieving Ba!!!

IMG_20141124_184435_zpsndfjypi_edit_1416

In other news,

I brought a 2GB memory Stick to work today and download Firmware update for the pioneer headunit via Desktop computer as i don't have a laptop or Desktop computer at home,

Took 28 minutes of my lunch break to download and transfer the zip. File to the memory key.

Turns out the Firmware on the AVH-X8600BT has gone from out of the box version 1.03 to newly updated 1.07 Version.

Says the update sorts out some glitches in the software and additional support for iPhone 5

I've not encountered any software glitches personally but good to have it up to date,

IMG_20141124_190643_zpsmxocaes3.jpg

Looks like windows basic programming screen during update:

IMG_20141124_190720_zps6libb2md.jpg

It was good to find out the headunit only accepts software updates via USB1 so I've connected the Apple device plug to USB2 which will gurantee ease of updates in the future through the port in the centre console

IMG_20141124_190815_zpsxp74gloy.jpg

IMG_20141124_192912_zpsgddzzaoc.jpg

I had to hold the headunit in my hand while it updated because I've currently no cage to fit the dash,

Replacement cage is in the post though,

Looking forward to its arrival as i cant permanently fit the headunit until it does :)

Also measured up the interior width of the centre console arm rest storage pocket and this phone storage unit wont fit:

HTB17WEDGXXXXXcMXVXXq6xXFXXX2_zpscbb8aca

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181589879116?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

However I've found this smaller one that holds only the phone and fits perfectly :)

HTB1jBtfGXXXXXbtaXXXq6xXFXXXy_zpsgb8t9hw

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351232745652?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D351232745652%26_rdc%3D1

Plan is to fit it to the back of the centre arm rest storage box to hold the iPhone while its connected to the headunit preventing it from falling around.

Much like the original ford design fitted to ST3 and RS models:

_35_zpsbv3wtur_edit_1416430265022_zpstyx

I would have purchased and fitted the Genuine Ford part to hol( th3 MP3 player or Apple Device however after reading this thread:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/61953-focus-mk25-armrest-ipod-holder/#entry411735

I've discovered that the Genuine Ford part is somewhat outdated because the armrest wont close if an iPhone is fitted in the pocket :rolleyes:

Fitting the Universal pocket seems the better option as it can be positioned lower down inside the unit eliminating any fouling issues aswell as being alot more cost effective while retaining a more/less stock feature of fords original design.

Taking it and making it better is what it's all about :)

• Like 2

Hi Lenny

Can i ask what this plug under the headlamp is

post-39671-141690998159_thumb.jpg

Yunii

Hi Lenny

Can i ask what this plug under the headlamp is

attachicon.gif1416909977280.jpg

Yunii

Not sure mate,

Either loom for self leveling Xenon headlights or for the headlight washer jets, perhaps both.

Cant think what else it could be to be honest.

• Like 1

Gotta get Tadhg one of these in Argos when he's a little older :lol:

He will be drifting like a Boss!!

• Like 3

The only time my son will drifting will be off to sleep ye fool!

• Like 3

Gotta get Tadhg one of these in Argos when he's a little older :lol:

He will be drifting like a Boss!!

£400 and I'm 40kg too heavy lol

Dagnabbit

• Like 3

£400 and I'm 40kg too heavy lol

Dagnabbit

+1

Isn't there an XL model for adults,

And i hope they come down in price a bit across the years lol didn't realise they were 400 its alot for one toy.

• Like 1

Lenny, reading through your great thread..

Ive just brought and fitted the exact same pioneer unit you have and love it! Couldnt see how you need another cage as the pioneer one fits fine but tight squeeze and gentle push, the unit will go in.

Maybe you have diff fascia to me as i have the connects2 one.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Lenny, reading through your great thread..

Ive just brought and fitted the exact same pioneer unit you have and love it! Couldnt see how you need another cage as the pioneer one fits fine but tight squeeze and gentle push, the unit will go in.

Maybe you have diff fascia to me as i have the connects2 one.

Hi David,

Thanks for taking the time to have a read through my thread and glad to hear from a fellow focus owner with the same choice of headunit as myself :)

The aftermarket Double Din conversion kit i purchased was supplied by the fantastic people at Dynamic Sounds in London

see its contents in my guide here:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/63689-guide-fitting-aftermarket-headunit-mk25-focus-2008-2011/

I highly recommend this particular aftermarket conversion kit however there's no indication of manufacturer on the Fascia panel itself;

it could be from AutoLeads i reckon as the matching cage is manufactured by them.

The Pioneer AVH-X8600BT cage wont slide in because the plastic lip on the Fascia is too big,

The plastic frame supplied from pioneer wont fit neither as the gap between the Fascia and headunit is only half the width of it,

As result AutoLeads supply a small frame as part of the there cage kit.

Overall this is good as there's less black frame between Fascia and Screen.

IMG_20141102_163138_zpscjn3hfxp.jpg

I thought sure the Pioneer headunit cage would have fitted.

Sadly i failed to trial fit it prior to bending out the AutoLeads DFPK-103 resulting in the install being put on hold for five days.

I was absolutely gutted then to see the pioneer cage was a little too large,

I then considered trimming down the inner plastic opening on the Fascia panel but the lip on the Pioneer cage is also too big so wouldn't work in any case,

Thankfully Dynamic Sounds also supply the AutoLeads DFPK-103 on its own see link:

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autoleads-dfpk-103-universal-black-103mm-double-din-fascia-cage-kit.html?search=dfpk-103%20Autoleads

Fantastic to be capable of purchasing outside of the full conversion kit but still a very costly School Boy error on my behalf at £28.11 inc. Shipping for the replacement :o

IMG_20141016_170720_zpsttuevgwx.jpg

IMG_20141016_170809_zpsto3okft_edit_1417

Thankfully i will finally complete installation today upon delivery of the replacement cage,

To date I've had around three minutes of use with the headunit will be nice to finally navigate through some of the features.

Have you got any plans to install a sub to your sound system?

If you are;

I've created a guide here due for completion in May 2015 on installing a 10" Sub with custom built enclosure and amplifier mounting panel see link: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/63695-guide-fitting-custom-amp-sub-enclosure-mk2-mk25-focus-2005-2011/?p=430698

• Like 2

At work and just reading through this quickly. Can't wait for the next udpate. It's like waiting for an episode of Mighty Car Mods to upload :P

• Like 2

Atand just reading through this quickly. Can't wait for the next udpate. It's like waiting for an episode of Mighty Car Mods to upload :P

:lol: no more updates now until February mate,

Only news i have left to report is fitting the headunit in to the car today and a review on the sound calibration.

I had an hours daylight yesterday after work so i went out and fitted the replacement cage,

Also worth noting:

The headunit only accepts Firmware updates through USB Port 1

The Apple Car Play also only works through USB port 01

As result I've had to run a USB extension socket (supplied with Headunit) down to the front passenger footwell,

Then plugin the Apple car play USB there,

This way when there is a Firmware update; i can easily plug a memory stick in to port 1to update,

Port 2 is connected to the centre console usb socket where it can accept anything except Firmware updates.

Darkness fell at this point

The only other task i achieved was removing the centre air vents to allow my hand reach down the back of the headunit to lift the cables out of the way when sliding it in to the cage,

Progress will resume in full daylight,

Some pictures later today.

• Like 1

I see what you mean about the cage now.. It seem your dash trim is different to mine and pretty tidy

Brillant headunit! You will love it. Just had to buy an apple AV adaptor to get the appradio part working so can use dashcommand and traffic apps etc.

How you getting on with backup camera? Im failing to work out why mine wont display as i have it wired into a separate switch rather than reverse hook up as i want it on perm due to towing etc.

• Like 1

I see what you mean about the cage now.. It seem your dash trim is different to mine and pretty tidy

Brilliant headunit! You will love it. Just had to buy an apple AV adaptor to get the appradio part working so can use dashcommand and traffic apps etc.

How you getting on with backup camera? Im failing to work out why mine wont display as i have it wired into a separate switch rather than reverse hook up as i want it on perm due to towing etc.

Is the Apple adapter you purchased; the USB & Media port cable?

My wife has an iPhone 4S so I've fitted the Apple loom to the centre console,

Or have you gone all out mirror link where your iPhone is fully functional on screen?

As for the reverse camera,

Pioneer released a firmware update which solves some reverse camera glitches,

See link:

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/support/software/AVH-X8600BT/page.html#download_429

I presume you have it connected via the BC input (brown socket) not the yellow AV input,

The camera takes a minute to display when reversing,

I suggest fitting an auto relay to the trailer loom if possible,

I can work with you on this later tonight when i get time,

This will need no switch and automatically deactivate reverse camera when trailer is fitted,

My camera is a bit fizzy at times,

But i didn't earth to body i earthed to reverse loom so that is probably the issue.

Thanks for comments,

Its bright now so im going back out to install,

Talk to you later

Finally got it installed :)

IMG_20141129_094418_zps1omljhxm.jpg

IMG_20141129_094411_zps7jh48vho.jpg

IMG_20141129_094424_zpsnc4ltp0r.jpg

IMG_20141129_094436_zpsuwrzxlqk.jpg

IMG_20141129_100044_zpsxscds6t9.jpg

IMG_20141129_100051_zps2ajhsvxq.jpg

Sound quality is much improved even though im still running the stock paper marche setup,

In other news ive powerd up the DVR system today,

Inseryed and formated the 32GB SD Card all good and picture quality is fantastic,

Pictures on Page 54 of this thread link: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/41443-taking-oval-to-blue-horizon-lennys-build-thread-2010-2015/page-54

I've got a red coloured usb power cable on the way for it to ensure it never gets unplugged when fitted inside glovebox in error,

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191324559246?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The front&rear DVR kit will be getting installed in spring 2015 along with the Speakers and sound deadening

• Like 4

Looking very sharp.

Thanks mate,

Im well pleased with it,

It even substitutes Vicki when shes in a mood and not talking :lol:

When her iPhone 4S is connected via the app cable or bluetooth,

I've just to press the voice button and ask " whats the weather for tomorrow" it will tell me

Or "whats the temperature for tomorrow" it will say between 3-10C

"where's the nearest take away" it says McDonald's is 6km away

It's still a virgin though as ive asked other things and she says she doesn't know that command :lol: but it fills the car with conversation when Victoria doesn't feel like comunicating.

Can send and receive text messages without touching anything aswell,

"send message" it asks to whom shall i send message to?

"vicki" it asks what would you like to say to vicki

"WTF is your problem today princess" it repeats content,

"send it" it says ok ill send this message to vicki for you,

Bing bong,

You have a message from vicki says " you ya !Removed!" shall i reply?

Yes/no?

• Like 3

Don't lie Clive ... It looks like screen in one of the hippy tree hugging electric cars! I prefer having two knobs in the car Lennys little one & the big one on a proper radio!

I'm trying to build up my milk supply & lenny wants to go crusing blaring the radio around town playing Sam smith Ffs! Leave me alone!!

• Like 2

You want to see if you can program the radio to speak in your voice so you can give him grief when you're not available.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club