Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 2008 Duratec 1.4 Diesel - Smoking When Warm

sazandy

Hi, first post so sorry if not in right area.

Just bought a 08 Fiesta zetec blue 1.4 tdci, its done 102,000, no service history record.

The problem is when its warm and been sat idling for 10-15 secs & rev to pull away it chucks out white/blue ish smoke. Its not losing any oil. I've just changed oil & filter and checking level daily.

When I bought it the seller said it had been stood up for a couple of months, so I put some redex in to help clear the system, have been keeping revs higher than normal on dual carriageways to clear any build up away, but doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Got cam belt done this week & garage said it could be the valve stem seals? could it be?

Any other ideas welcome

UPDATE;-

Having taken the car for a long journey today, I have noticed the smoke from the car is increased after idling at a junction for a couple of mins. Felt sorry for the cars behind as I drove away after sitting at some lights for about 5 mins.

• Like 1

If its done 102K then something is worn could be you have leaky injectors. The injectors seals are a weak spot on the 1.4 so they may need replacing blue smoke is usually burning oil so the valve stem seals could be worn.

Hi, thanks for your reply, would a worn turbo cause this problem?

Had a look today by taking off the inlet hose & the fans look quite damaged and there is quite a bit of movement in the shaft.

I ran the car, revved it with the turbo inlet hose disconnect, no smoke. But when I put it back on it smoked again. I can get a turbo but don't want to spend £200 for it not to be that. Also since running with the inlet hose off i've now got an engine warning light on the dash, has it logged an error code?

The car does pick up when driving as if the turbo is kicking in but its also when the smoke appears (under hard ish acceleration)

I love cars :angry::angry::angry::angry:

• Like 1

Given the mileage the turbo could be the problem but that's the risk when you buy a high mileage car.

The smoke could be from engine blow by.

• Like 2

Do you it's worth replacing the turbo to start with and see what happens?

• Like 1

Its your choice whether you spend the money on it, the car is worth no more than £1500 with the current condition, no service history and mileage.

If the parts and labour cost more than the car your wasting money.

• Like 2

Have you blanked the egr yet?

If not I highly recommend that you do as well as use some total flush in next oil change.

See guide here process is the same on the 1.4TDCi engine

link: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/42915-guide-fitting-egr-blanking-plate-16tdci-engine/

Do you it's worth replacing the turbo to start with and see what happens?

If replacing the turbo fit a hybrid brings it from 86bhp right up to 130Bhp

link: http://www.nbstyling.co.uk/store/?pID=61

Now that's worth fitting

Supporting mods would be induction filter change:

http://www.nbstyling.co.uk/store/?pID=43

And as said the egr blanking plate.

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for all replys, here a couple of pics of turbo turbine, looks damaged to me.

Does anyone think the turbo will cause the smoke i'm describing?? Or is it something else and the turbo is also knackered
Will blank off EGR when I get chance, but can't see that causing the excess smoke.
  • Like 2

Where did you buy this car? Looks like a complete knacker to me.

Its a bit late to be blanking the EGR valve as the engine will be full of gunk. You need to strip and clean the inlet of carbon build-up.

• Like 2

Turbo cartridge looks like its had more hits than Elvis

• Like 1

a 'nice friendly' garage in Halifax.

So where do you guys reckon I start.

Since i've changed the oil, it seems to smoking more blue and more frequent, even at lower revs.

Anybody fancy buying a Fiesta :(

• Like 1

a 'nice friendly' garage in Halifax.

So where do you guys reckon I start.

Since i've changed the oil, it seems to smoking more blue and more frequent, even at lower revs.

Anybody fancy buying a Fiesta :(

I'd blank the egr for sure,

then look in to getting the engine flushed

ideally purchase a bottle of cheap oil and two bottles of flush

Drain existing oil

put in cheap oil then two cans of flush

Drain oil

replacing with Castro

Following this use a good quality fuel cleaner not Redex

Xado is good.

After this would be turbo replacement and induction filter

is it worth all of that though?

If you bought it from a garage take it back and get a refund.

• Like 2

If you bought it from a garage take it back and get a refund.

+1

Drive it back and imagine your Samuel L Jackson in pulp fiction when your talking to them

• Like 1

Guess who I'm ringing tomorrow after work, not holding my breath though, been trying to get the 2nd key out of him for the past month.

Could he says car was ok when it left here, bought it with 12 months MOT

• Like 1

If its smoking that much how did it pass an MOT?

• Like 1

tell me about it, got a feeling they may take all there cars there and pay a 'Special pass rate'

Looking at the emissions print out, details about car states Test Type - NON TURBO & further down sheet Turbo - NO

Something else for me to mention tomorrow

Knew we should of gone for a Corsa :)

• Like 2

Threaten them with Trading Standards and report them to DVSA, MOT sounds fraudulent.

• Like 1

Think "The Dark Night" needs a visit over here.. I'll message him now

• Like 1

I'm off to work shortly so I can't give a full reply now but the biggest thing standing against you in any argument is the fact you bought a car knowing there was no service history to it (that's how the topic reads or did you mean it has been serviced but there's no service book?)

Higher mileage doesn't help but that turbo fault looks grim and something that must have been there before they sold it to you. How long have you had it now and how was the car described? Is a copy of the advert still available?

• Like 2

Hi, we've had the car since 27th July, driven no more than 270 miles. Since buying it I've paid to have the cam belt done, did oil change etc my self but have receipt. It was sold with no service history, my mistake. Will put a copy of advert at bottom.

Spoke to the guy today, his response was basically, its my problem, I test drove the car, paid cash for the car, have had it over 30 days he's not interested. I did try to explain that him being a trader in cars that he was responsible for the car being fit for purpose etc. That made him respond with your an f**king c**t, etc Such a nice chap. I left it there as wasn't getting anywhere.

Copy of advert

2008 - 08 FORD FIESTA 1.4 TDCI BLUE EDITION 5 DOOR IN TRULY SUPERB CONDITION. RUNS / DRIVES EXCELLENT, COMES WITH THE FACTORY UPGRADED SONY GLASS FRONT RADIO / CD bluetooth AUDIO SYSTEM, POWER STEERING, ABS, ELECTRIC WINDOWS AND MIRRORS, REMOTE CENTRAL LOCKING ALARM AND IMMOBILISER WITH THE ESSENTIAL 2 KEYS. ALLOY WHEELS ALL SHOD WITH EXCELLENT MATCHING TYRES, FULLY COLOUR CODED BODYWORK, FRONT FOGLIGHTS AND MUCH MORE, MUST BE SEEN AND DRIVEN AND ANY POSSIBLE TRIAL OR INSPECTION IS INVITED AT

He did say today that he was getting me the 2nd key, I have heard that for the past 4 weeks.

• Like 1

Dealers are legally obliged to offer a 6month (I believe it's 6 months? Been a while since I looked into it so I may be wrong) 'warranty" sold as seen or sold without warranty are unfair terms and do not stand. Unless the car was sold to you as scrap or spares and repairs then you've got legs to stand on :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'm sure the dark night will be along shortly to explain in more depth

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think it is worth pursuing personally. He will use the lack of service history to counter your claims of the car not being of satisfactory quality but that is all he can throw at you based upon what I have read here.

You would argue that the car is not as described under S.13 of SOGA as it is clearly not running and driving excellent! You would also argue that the car is not of satisfactory quality under S.14 of SOGA.

He can shout and swear and bleat about 30 days and cash as much as he likes, it makes no difference. To be honest though, I have lost count of the times I have informed people of their rights and how to action them at little cost and I am happy to do so again but you need to be prepared to see it through first. These dealers usually win in these circumstances but not because they have a valid argument. They win because the consumer does not have the time and/or does not want to pursue it.

• Like 2