Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch, Engine Pinking Or Variator?

jimjamyaha

Hi,

Some funny symptoms on my 56 plate Mk2 Focus.

It's always done this to some extent but seems to have got a lot worse in the past 2 years since the cambelt and the clutch were replaced.

* Clicking/rattling sound when under engine load (going up hill or accelerating hard or with a heavy car)

* Sound like it's either coming from the engine bay or from near the front of the car around the clutch area

* Seems to happen mostly in 3rd and 4th and 5th gears when hitting above 2,000 rpm until about 4,000 when putting on a fair amount of gas.

* Occasionally under these conditions get a much louder rhythmical clicking (which the video below shows), but normally is irregular and sounds mechanical/metal/clicking (can't seem to get this to show up on a video, but can hear inside the cabin).

It is def not any under-car heat shield rattles (these are all checked and speedbolted)

I think it could be the engine pinking, but have one eye on the either the clutch or some other aspect of the engine- is it even possible for the clutch to be clicking without slipping?

What do people think - anything similar experienced?

What fuel fo you use the 115 ti vct can run on unleaded but its supposed to run on higher octane try Tesco 99 Ron to rule out engine pinking the noise is hard to pin but check the radiator isn't rattling around .it could be the variator but even when mine was shot it didnt do that also at the back of the engine you'll see the manifold heat shield give that a tug and move around as the washers rust away causing a similar rattle

• Like 1

What fuel fo you use the 115 ti vct can run on unleaded but its supposed to run on higher octane try Tesco 99 Ron to rule out engine pinking the noise is hard to pin but check the radiator isn't rattling around .it could be the variator but even when mine was shot it didnt do that also at the back of the engine you'll see the manifold heat shield give that a tug and move around as the washers rust away causing a similar rattle

Normally we've been running it on 95 standard stuff - but did treat it to some 99 with no improvement.

I was thinking that it could be the variator - but it's always done it a little bit from new - and it's good to know that yours didn't do that when broken.

Thanks for the suggestion to check the radiator and the manifold heat shield - will give these a check.

Theres also behind the manifold heat shield the brake pipes running down the bulkhead to the rear attached to these if you reach far enough under the bulk head is another heat shield a small one with a few pipe clips that hold it on if that's loose it rattles in the cat heat shield

So checked radiator. All solid. Checked brake lines heat shield. In one position seems like it could rattle so pulled it up to stop when tapped.

Found something that had come loose from a fixing below the brake shield and checked other side which also came off in hand (see vid below).

Not sure II could see to check manifold heat shield.

Took it for a spin and noise still there around 2,000rpm flat out uphill in 3rd. Never there at that rpm in 3rd going down hill (I.e. not under load).

Any advice for:

1) checking manifold heat shield

2) Securing whatever those 2 lines are

The heat shield attached to the brake lines runs under and above the cat so it will rattle under acceleration if you pop it off the clip may have rotten on the bit above the cat you can't see a few cable ties to resecure the clip can help its just a pain to refit the 2 welded clamps always rot I removed them altogether and used a cable tie to hold the sensor wire away from the heat shield attatching I to the bulkhead...under the car in the same area is the heat shield above the cat which can annoyingly rattle again it does it under acceleration and not when coasting

Having had these issues its best to get the car on axle stands get under it and have a good root around the heatshields in particular back to front the noise sounds like a metalic vibration to me and not engine related as for the rear manifold metal cover try lifting it up and down if its rattling you'll know as it will move it took me ages to pin point mine

• Like 1

Hey - odd one this. Today whilst driving around no rattling noise at all in going up hills at all.

So tonight took it out after filling it up with Tesco momentum and still nothing no rattles or anything.

I'm thinking:

1) Momentum might of made a difference - but noise had stopped before filling up with it later today - and it didn't make a difference when tried previously.

2) Only thing I can think of is temp has dropped massively today (down to 4c) - engine was all warmed up - but wondering if heat shields could be cooler/less exapnded?

btw - checked using ELMConfig that car has been setup properly for 95RON fuel.

Any further thoughts on the temp drop stopping the noise?

• 2 months later...

Well this also happens to mine! Exactly the same sound though it only happens on steep hills under load and below 3000rpm . I always believed it was pinging-knocking as it happens only under load , Jim does this happen to you on straights too ? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club