Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashcam hardwire in a nutshell?

ahm

Hi,

Ford Focus 2.5 (08 plate).

Finally got around to getting a dash cam (lidl cheap jobby), and want to hard wire to ignition live as I know I will flatten the battery otherwise.  Would you believe I asked about this nearly three years ago?

So, buy a longer usb cable to fit into the trim around the windscreen and down into the passenger footwell.

Connect usb cable to dashcam-supplied cigar lighter adapter.

Wire in a purchased 12v socket - black to suitable ground (where?) and red wire (o ring stripped off) inserted into a piggyback fuse.

What size fuse? Device amps +5A I have seen as a guide (ie 6A so go 7.5A), but could also go for 10A as existing cigar lighter is set at 20A fuse, but two sockets are connected to that? make sure i buy the right "physical size" fuse!

Connect the piggyback fuse into suitable ignition live fuse socket (the right way around*):  choose from
  117 number plate lamps?
  110/125 daytime running lamps
  131 rear wiper
  prefer to avoid 100!

* Right way round is found by leaving the original fuse out of the piggyback, and then fitting the piggyback, the cam will only power up the right way!

i must inform my insurer as this is a modification.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks,

Alan..

Sounds about right, you can use any of of the dozen or so metal earth points, only thing you need to watch for is if they are painted, if you have a mutli meter you can easily test this, or failing that, trial and error.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you manage to install yours ok? I'm struggling to find a place to ground mine, no where I can see to do it 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club