Do Not Sell My Personal Information

tinting my back three windows

will-91

been wanting for a while my back three windows tinted but can never be bothered asking ford how much it would cost, i seen on there website that for privacy glass (optional extra) was 50 pound does anyone know if that is the price to get it done whenever or because i already have my back three windows as normalglass could it cost more to do ?

been wanting for a while my back three windows tinted but can never be bothered asking ford how much it would cost, i seen on there website that for privacy glass (optional extra) was 50 pound does anyone know if that is the price to get it done whenever or because i already have my back three windows as normalglass could it cost more to do ?

Ford don't actually tint the glass as such - they actually use glass that is darker, rather than putting a film over the top of it. This is why Ford list it as an option at the time of manufacture, rather than an accessory (which could be fitted afterwards too).

I personally prefer the intended privacy glass over tints, as the tints invariably never look 'quite right' in my opinion. Plenty of people love them though.

I agree with SF, however if done by a professional, a properly fitted film tint can look great, you just won't gat away from seeing the orange rear screen heater elements or sometime the stippled black dots in side windows (on Focus models anyway). "Privacy Glass" fitted in the factory is a stained glass that lets lots more light through than a film and appears completely uniform in its tint from the exterior.

A professional will probably want somewhere ion the region of £100-£150 to tint the rear half of your car.

An alternative although very expensive workaround is to source the privacy glass from a Ford dealer and swap your glass. But i think you'd be looking at around £450 plus fitting for the windows. :wacko:

thanks for the reply, much appreciated, i got a quote a few weeks backs from a glass tinting company called "mr tints" they done my pals astra and they did a good job but you literally cant see out the back window or see in.. which i think is illegal ? but they offered me 100 pound for the back three so i might consider it ... does anyone know any good companys to go with to tint windows ? (that are legal) :rolleyes:

thanks for the reply, much appreciated, i got a quote a few weeks backs from a glass tinting company called "mr tints" they done my pals astra and they did a good job but you literally cant see out the back window or see in.. which i think is illegal ? but they offered me 100 pound for the back three so i might consider it ... does anyone know any good companys to go with to tint windows ? (that are legal) :rolleyes:

My mate used to have a tinting company and he had to comply with the laws and made every customer sign a declaration of understanding that the tints they had fitted were legal etc.

I don't know of any professional outfits that will fit illegal ones.

IIRC there are different levels of opacity allowed for different windows. For example front windows have to allow in much more light than the rear. Exact level of light i am not sure, but try searching on google to see what you come up with.

:)

The back ones can be as dark as you want its just the front windows have to allow 75% of daylight through which is the standard factory fitted windows on most cars.

Ant

hey, cant go wrong with pentagon window tints, there VERY professional and finish everything to perfection. They fit the window tints for audi, lambourgini e.c.t. My windows came tinted from ford as part of a pack, but got my front windows and a sunstrip form them and it looks really well.

The best set up for the tints is : - back window - Midnight (you can see in/out but slightly obsquered)

back two windows - dark smoke (same as factory)

Front windows - light smoke (noticable tint but police shouldnt mind)

Ive been stopped by the police twice now and they didint seem to mind the front ones. It may cost slightly more than your average window tinter but theres a lot of safety features within the film that goes across the window aswell. You should check out their website. ;)

Ive been stopped by the police twice now and they didint seem to mind the front ones.

Why did they stop you? Personally I prefer not to be stopped - any form of tints at the front even a few % lower than it should be, combined with a bored officer one day, means that you either get points or have to peel the tint off there and then.

Worth the hassle? Personal preference I suppose. Sometimes it seems tinted windows attracts attention from thieves too.

hey, cant go wrong with pentagon window tints, there VERY professional and finish everything to perfection. They fit the window tints for audi, lambourgini e.c.t. My windows came tinted from ford as part of a pack, but got my front windows and a sunstrip form them and it looks really well.

The best set up for the tints is : - back window - Midnight (you can see in/out but slightly obsquered)

back two windows - dark smoke (same as factory)

Front windows - light smoke (noticable tint but police shouldnt mind)

Ive been stopped by the police twice now and they didint seem to mind the front ones. It may cost slightly more than your average window tinter but theres a lot of safety features within the film that goes across the window aswell. You should check out their website. ;)

cool cheers mate, ill have a look at the website and see what i see !

i can recomemed pentagon too as they did my front 2 aswell top job

yeah there is one near me that do the tints so i just popped in there and they were saying back three windows we will do for 100 quid, happy with that, then when i asked about the front two i got told anything done to the front two windows immediately makes your insurance void and is illegal !! he finished with saying but i'll do all the windows if you want for 150 quid haha might just stick to the back three i think

i havent had any problem with my front tints had them a while now too

the man did say he would only put "standard 50" on the front two which are visible tints but not to tinted to catch police eye, do you know what ones you got ?

Regarding the two front side windows:

Most police cars carry a device that test how much light is transmitted through your windows and if you fail the test you can be made to remove the tints there and then - having said that most police will not bother with you unless you have dark tints.

But …

be warned if you are involved in an accident you could find yourself without any insurance to cover your vehicle damage if the insurance company consider the tints have played a part in the accident –i.e. reduced your sideward visibility –they may look cool but could cost you a lot more than you think.

Why did they stop you? Personally I prefer not to be stopped - any form of tints at the front even a few % lower than it should be, combined with a bored officer one day, means that you either get points or have to peel the tint off there and then.

Worth the hassle? Personal preference I suppose. Sometimes it seems tinted windows attracts attention from thieves too.

the man did say he would only put "standard 50" on the front two which are visible tints but not to tinted to catch police eye, do you know what ones you got ?

Emm, stopped for undertaking, even though the two lanes where splitting off to go different directions, the second time for having my front fogs on.

Im not too sure what the standard 50 is, whether its just the safety piece of plastic or the light smoke, if you need help deciding i can take a picture of my front window tints and sunstrip for you? before he did my window tints for me he made me call down to check that the stuff for the front windows matched the factory tints, (as the factory tints where spray he had to get a high shine piece for the front to match them). pentagon FTW lol!

Emm, stopped for undertaking, even though the two lanes where splitting off to go different directions, the second time for having my front fogs on.

Im not too sure what the standard 50 is, whether its just the safety piece of plastic or the light smoke, if you need help deciding i can take a picture of my front window tints and sunstrip for you? before he did my window tints for me he made me call down to check that the stuff for the front windows matched the factory tints, (as the factory tints where spray he had to get a high shine piece for the front to match them). pentagon FTW lol!

Afternoon beatty36, Would be good to see pics of your front tints and sunstrip. Havent seen anything like that yet

TA!

Jonny87

Afternoon beatty36, Would be good to see pics of your front tints and sunstrip. Havent seen anything like that yet

TA!

Jonny87

!Removed! hell jonny where have you been hiding?!

!Removed! hell jonny where have you been hiding?!

I have been living somewhere with no internet for the last few months. Am now back. Tenner says I haven't missed any meets lol!

I have been living somewhere with no internet for the last few months. Am now back. Tenner says I haven't missed any meets lol!

nope, two failed attempts!

did you ever get your car? last we heard was the day before you were collectiing it!

TA!

Jonny87

Yeh no bother, im washing it tonight so ill wait till after lol. kdont want anyone seeing my car dirty or anything :lol:

Ahhh the wanderer returns, again! :)

Ahhh the wanderer returns, again! :)

Indeed! Should be back for a while

It turned out that I received my car just before a 6 month secondment to deepest darkest Wales (no internet, phone coverage etc.). Now back in Herts, maybe not for too long, who knows....

Indeed! Should be back for a while

It turned out that I received my car just before a 6 month secondment to deepest darkest Wales (no internet, phone coverage etc.). Now back in Herts, maybe not for too long, who knows....

ahhh Johnny good to see you mate x

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club