Do Not Sell My Personal Information

technology driving me mad

NeilRS

They are a good idea just implemented poorly. 

• Like 1

🤣😂 grown men debating about LED lights...

On 01/04/2017 at 10:02 AM, Killer said:

Sorry that some of you litte snowflakes have got upset but we have a compulsory Eye Test and Driver appraisal every 3 years and I have advanced driving on both 4 & 2 wheels. We are tought not to rely on electronic gadgets and drive to the Police Advanced Trainig hand book by ex police instructors. We are dumbing down driving relying on gadgets to get you out of the crap rather than advanced driving preventing the situation.

Police Advanced Trainng handbook? Never heard of that one... Do you mean Roadcraft and the Police System of Car Control? I'm sure many of us on here are also advanced drivers (whether on two wheels, four wheels, or both), but that doesn't mean that all drivers are equally well trained. Regardless of how good you are, anyone can make a mistake, miss something, or do something we know better than. If technology can prevent an accident then it must be good. I personally find the LED lights annoying, but accept there might be a situation when they might be useful. After all, nobody is perfect...

• Like 1

Don't you think they do put those led lights after some research been done. Maybe in the USofA people do not drive so close and keep distances? I don't believe in that. Especially as to my knowledge is not optional extra so they do not charge you extra on it. There have to be reason why Ford people decided to put those and spend some dosh on development and installing them. At the end they are only drivers aids, they do not going as yet, to replace brain and real driver, even TESLA "autopilot" is only driver aid to help, prevent and so on... If you don't like to use them fine, as well do not use SatNav (i can read map and do that always prior to longer journey any way), ESP? ABS? Traffic signs recognition? Self parking? Reverse Camera? why no one mention those? as "pro" drive you don't need those either.

• Like 1

Vote 🤥 Who's bored of this led topic? Likes please..

• Like 3

I like the reverse camera @LukeEdge I don't generally use it to get me into a space, I like to use the 'zoom' function when I'm in a space so I can make sure I am right in the space. Sometimes judging the size of the Vignale estate proves some days are harder than others. Don't like traffic recognition, self park (fun gimmick though), lane assist or forward collision radar.

I do like adaptive cruise control, auto high beam, abs and esp, DAB radio and bluetooth though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@Jonro2009, i do agree on merit, my point is that you do have choice, selection of gadgets some of them you do like and use while others are not as useful. I do like reverse cam, especially in narrow space to make sure i can reverse to the maximum of my spot, kind bumper to bumper.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@Jonro2009, i do agree on merit, my point is that you do have choice, selection of gadgets some of them you do like and use while others are not as useful. I do like reverse cam, especially in narrow space to make sure i can reverse to the maximum of my spot, kind bumper to bumper.

Absolutely, i was just sharing what I would choose as my 'helpful' options. They should never replace the driver though as you said. Yeah, I like to park bumper to bumper just to make sure I'm square in my space.

Yes, it is like in old days to have someone outside to guide you in. Lol. Very rarely ​i would you self parking, especially in a car i am not familiar with. Than quite often i do either ignore "override" satnav or even won't use it and will only drive using signpost.
My favourite and must have gadgets are, USB port for music from a stick, xenon headlights with auto leveling and quick change for continent so no need for those stickers on them. Keyless entry and possibly (as never had it so far) powered tailgate with that foot sensor.

Plus tons of those little ones you do notice but save your life, correct your stupidity or lack of skills like abs, traction control just to name main (still know how to drive without them and some times - winter time turn them off). But than I am in that advantage position as a lot of us here, that we learn to drive in previous gadgets era. My first car was FIAT 126... LOL. So not only no gadgets but loads of maintenance and diy fixing and repairs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I like the reverse camera @LukeEdge I don't generally use it to get me into a space, I like to use the 'zoom' function when I'm in a space so I can make sure I am right in the space. Sometimes judging the size of the Vignale estate proves some days are harder than others. Don't like traffic recognition, self park (fun gimmick though), lane assist or forward collision radar.

I do like adaptive cruise control, auto high beam, abs and esp, DAB radio and Bluetooth though

What's the zoom function? 

Zoom function?? Please tell me more!

I think as zoom is with quotation marks, he was thinking about front camera with "fish eye" function. that dual mode one? Or that is how I do understood it. Not aware of any "normal" zoom on the car camera and back one.

I would say as well bit disappointed that EDGE is lacking 360 camera with birds view.... looks amazing and handy in tight spaces, seen and tested in Merc GLC

Yes, it is like in old days to have someone outside to guide you in. Lol. Very rarely ​i would you self parking, especially in a car i am not familiar with. Than quite often i do either ignore "override" satnav or even won't use it and will only drive using signpost.
My favourite and must have gadgets are, USB port for music from a stick, xenon headlights with auto leveling and quick change for continent so no need for those stickers on them. Keyless entry and possibly (as never had it so far) powered tailgate with that foot sensor.

Plus tons of those little ones you do notice but save your life, correct your stupidity or lack of skills like abs, traction control just to name main (still know how to drive without them and some times - winter time turn them off). But than I am in that advantage position as a lot of us here, that we learn to drive in previous gadgets era. My first car was FIAT 126... LOL. So not only no gadgets but loads of maintenance and diy fixing and repairs.

I forgot about the adaptive LED headlights and powered tail lift, this courtesy car has got both.

My first car was an Orion!

Zoom function?? Please tell me more!

When you select reverse and the camera turns on you get the view with the predicted path your car is going to take depending on the angle of your wheels, in the top Right corner of the screen is the schematic of the car and which sensors are being set off and in the top Left of the screen there is a small magnifying glass. Press that and the camera zooms right in on the bumper and the space 1-2ft behind the car. If anyone wants pics I can get some to show what I mean.

• Like 1

I think as zoom is with quotation marks, he was thinking about front camera with "fish eye" function. that dual mode one? Or that is how I do understood it. Not aware of any "normal" zoom on the car camera and back one.
I would say as well bit disappointed that EDGE is lacking 360 camera with birds view.... looks amazing and handy in tight spaces, seen and tested in Merc GLC

It's rear camera only, not 360. I've only just noticed it on the courtesy car I've got while mine is out of action.

• Like 1

Cheers! Every days a school day!

• Like 1

On 04/04/2017 at 10:17 PM, NeilRS said:

Cheers! Every days a school day!

How true that is. I didn't know my rear seats reclined and I certainly didn't know about the hands-free tailgate opening until I saw the picture below.

Untitled.jpg

On 04/04/2017 at 10:37 PM, Jonro2009 said:

When you select reverse and the camera turns on you get the view with the predicted path your car is going to take depending on the angle of your wheels, in the top Right corner of the screen is the schematic of the car and which sensors are being set off and in the top Left of the screen there is a small magnifying glass. Press that and the camera zooms right in on the bumper and the space 1-2ft behind the car. If anyone wants pics I can get some to show what I mean.

Cool didn't know that. 

• Like 1

On 04/04/2017 at 9:37 PM, Jonro2009 said:

...rushes outside to try this! Cool!

• Like 1

Yes very handy function in tight spaces! Or with small obstacles behind you!

On the other hand I do not made my mind as yet do I like delay on reverse camera switch or not.

No piece of tech so far is an issue for me apart of already mentioned files and folders display in the music player from my USB stick.

Love how natural voice commands works / finally some one made it usable, had it since my Accord 09 plates... never used, EDGE started to like it in less that 24h, even that was not an novelty for me.

No problems with stop/ start or other flagged techs.

On 04/04/2017 at 9:37 PM, Jonro2009 said:

That is so useful when parking, thanks.

• Like 1

Very handy for caravan hooking 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

My wife used to have a Kuga that we used to tow our horse trailer, but despite it being the higher powered 163 HP (2012 model) it was underpowered when you have a 600kg horse in your 900kg trailer, which is why I swapped my Focus ST for my Edge.  The reverse camera with zoom means I can reverse right under the tow hitch of the trailer without having to continually get out the car to check my line or distance, or have someone else outside to spot for me.  I can drive straight under the hitch and drop it straight on.  Brilliant.   Plus the electric plug in is confirmed on the dash and the anti-sway control is triggered automatically, not that I tow the horse fast enough to get the trailer to sway, but a horse is sometimes unpredictable and can spook and stomp about, which you can feel in the car, so any electronic intervention that helps is a bonus.

• 2 years later...

Back to the Edge condensation issue, my reflector assembly (its official name in the ‘16 Edge parts manual), which is the long unit running horizontally along the tailgate, has excessive condensation, telling me that the vent is clogged.  Has anyone ever tried a disassembly to fix the ventilation issue?  The dealer quoted $1,807.29 (!) for the part, plus $120 or so to install.  I have every drill bit known to man, so I’m considering a home-made remedy.

1 hour ago, VinceM said:

Back to the Edge condensation issue, my reflector assembly (its official name in the ‘16 Edge parts manual), which is the long unit running horizontally along the tailgate, has excessive condensation, telling me that the vent is clogged.  Has anyone ever tried a disassembly to fix the ventilation issue?  The dealer quoted $1,807.29 (!) for the part, plus $120 or so to install.  I have every drill bit known to man, so I’m considering a home-made remedy.

Join MACT facebook group - plenty of posts on there about this

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MACTFORDEDGE/?ref=group_header

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club