Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 ST-Line X 140 early impressions

Eric Bloodaxe

I think sports style are supposed to "hug" you a bit more than the comfort style - which look to have slightly flatter backs. There appears to be slightly more seat edge padding in areas like around the shoulders and at the sides - as if you are sinking into the seat. Obviously you need to get the combination of the seat height and lumbar support correct otherwise it might feel like you are being squeezed in the wrong areas. I am not sure if the use of leather makes the seat more rigid - further increasing the hug factor. After quite a bit of adjusting I think I have got mine just about right (I hate it when your car comes back from a service and they have moved the seats - it always takes ages to get it back to how it felt before).

• Like 2

My previous cars with "sports" seats have had much more pronounced bolsters than the standard versions, but I'm struggling to see much difference in these. 

I'm with you on them moving your seat at service, some of them change the radio station as well. Grrrrr.....!

I think they use the word "style" as they are not really sports seats. Saying that the ST-line has "sports style" seats is probably just an advertising gimmick to get us aging boy-racers excited!

I think you're right. Now the seats in the new ST look the real McCoy, so I should be able to justify that to the Mrs in due course on the grounds of better support for my back, and not have to mention the 200ps!😀

Would have had a full St but I begrudge paying the extra insurance they want for the extra 60hp.

Had a play with the St L X stereo now and the DAB and USB music options are very crisp and clear. Again can only say I am impressed.

Same size wheels but I also think the road noise is a little less than my 7.5.

3 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Had a play with the St L X stereo now and the DAB and USB music options are very crisp and clear. Again can only say I am impressed.

Same size wheels but I also think the road noise is a little less than my 7.5.

Is the standard stereo set up any good? Or do you have the B&O?

What kind of floor mats should come as standard, finally got my st line x yesterday but dealer has fitted plain black mats. I thought mats were meant to be st line logo?

34 minutes ago, kpdsk13 said:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't have the B&O as I wanted a spare wheel, but I'm finding the standard set up pretty good on DAB and music played from USB. Interestingly my car has a seventh speaker on the middle of the dash top, like the B&O, but this is not shown in the brochure illustration and I can find no mention of it. Anyone else got one or have I got a freebie from Ford?

7 minutes ago, Mach67 said:

What kind of floor mats should come as standard, finally got my st line x yesterday but dealer has fitted plain black mats. I thought mats were meant to be st line logo?

I asked for rubber mats with mine but my dealer gave me the standard mats as well still in their wrapper. These are plain black carpet, no logo.

48 minutes ago, kpdsk13 said:

22 minutes ago, Mach67 said:

Edited by Eric Bloodaxe
Duplicated post

5 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Would have had a full St but I begrudge paying the extra insurance they want for the extra 60hp.

We seem to have reached a point where our insurance varies very little from car to car, eg we only pay £1 more for the ST-Line than my wife's 60ps Mii. We are only on SD&P these days, and lowish mileage. 

What really put me off the previous ST was the suspension. I like what I'm reading about the new one so far with mentions of adaptable dampers, softer and more supple ride, etc and even option of lsd (for the car, not the driver, I understand😀). Not seen any mentions of price yet, though!

49 minutes ago, Mach67 said:

Cheers guys 

re speakers, I have also got centre speaker 

Interesting! Just looked again at the last ordering guide I had (November 17) and that still says 6 Speakers so has the spec changed or have we got a lucky misbuild. (It does happen - our old Fiesta Edge came with foglights that were only supposed to be available on Zetec and above.)

43 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

We seem to have reached a point where our insurance varies very little from car to car, eg we only pay £1 more for the ST-Line than my wife's 60ps Mii. We are only on SD&P these days, and lowish mileage. 

What really put me off the previous ST was the suspension. I like what I'm reading about the new one so far with mentions of adaptable dampers, softer and more supple ride, etc and even option of lsd (for the car, not the driver, I understand😀). Not seen any mentions of price yet, though!

I was actually looking at the ST too, couple of things that did put me off is: the waiting time (I placed my order for an ST Line X in January) for the car, the insurance pricing (I'm fairly young so get ripped off by the insurers at any opportunity) and realistically, the commute I do daily, it's unlikely I'd truly get much more joy from the full-fat ST than I will from the ST Line X plus the extra fuel costs associated with the ST too.

When speaking to my dealer, he did say that the ST is great for short haul blasts etc, but in the real world or even longer journeys, the ST Line will actually be pretty good too and based on the suspension of the MK7/7.5, it'd be much more comfortable.

• Like 1

Very good points. When the ST eventually appears I'll be interested to have a test drive to see if they have indeed made the suspension liveable. Then it's a matter of waiting a year or so to see if any nasties emerge with the new engine! 

(PS: back in my early 20's I did a lot of business mileage in my MG Midget - that was the car I really wanted at the time and I was prepared to put up with the limitations. I doubt if I could even get in one these days!)

Edited by Eric Bloodaxe
PS added

Centre speaker wasn't on the spec for st line x when I ordered, but it got added at some point 

5 hours ago, kpdsk13 said:

Standard stereo is very good.

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes the St Line insurances are very good, obviously both over 25 with 9+ yrs ncd.

The st insurance bracket is very high though compared to the st line. St Line has all the same styling and looks other than the 60hp.

mats are not st line styled in our 8.5 although they are very thick and deep.

My 7.5 came with fiesta mates in it. These are the thin and flimsy ones.

We Definitely prefer the St Line styling to the Titanium or Vignale any day.

24 minutes ago, Jonson said:

Centre speaker wasn't on the spec for st line x when I ordered, but it got added at some point 

Intriguing. Just seen the latest price list (5 March) and that shows 7 Speakers on the Titanium X, but still only 6 on the ST-Line X. Looking at the latest price, glad I ordered mine last September! 

1 hour ago, Mavroz said:

Yes the St Line insurances are very good, obviously both over 25 with 9+ yrs ncd.

The st insurance bracket is very high though compared to the st line. St Line has all the same styling and looks other than the 60hp.

Lmao. If you think the difference between an ST Line an ST boils down to a 60hp difference I’ve got a bridge to sell you 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Intriguing. Just seen the latest price list (5 March) and that shows 7 speakers on the Titanium X, but still only 6 on the ST-Line X. Looking at the latest price, glad I ordered mine last September! 

That's weird, when I looked at the price list a few weeks back it definitely had 7 Speakers for the st line x. Perhaps there is a lucky window...?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anyjungleinguy said:

Lmao. If you think the difference between an ST Line an ST boils down to a 60hp difference I’ve got a bridge to sell you 😂😂😂

Mechanically, you're right there is quite a difference between ST-Line's and ST's but realistically, in everyday driving the only real difference you'll feel is the hp difference, stiffer suspension or even the optional LSD on the upcoming ST isn't really going to be that crucial when daily driving in traffic and on a standard commute. Take it on a track and the difference will be massive but if I paid £20k or something for a new ST, I wouldn't really be looking to rag it around a track despite kind of what that being what the car would be amazing at. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonson said:

That's weird, when I looked at the price list a few weeks back it definitely had 7 speakers for the st line x. Perhaps there is a lucky window...?

Just downloaded the latest (5 March) list off the Ford website - still says 6 Speakers for ST-Line X so dunno what's going on. Like the idea of a lucky window!!😀

With the Speakers, I'm not sure if this is 100% certain but I think with the B&O Play set up, it sometimes says 9 Speakers or 10, the extra is the subwoofer, I wonder if the same is the case for the standard setup where one of the components Ford decides to sometimes class as a speaker and sometimes not. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club