Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Pope Debate

RCJ

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should the government spend £10m on the Popes visit?

• Yes
    • No

I was watching the news this morning and saw about the Pope visiting the UK.

What i cannot understand is that the UK is forking up £10m towards the visit.... but on the other hand its cutting jobs across the country to save £66m?

In my personal opinion £10m is alot of money to spend on one persons visit. At the end of the day i know he's a very powerful and influential person but for example I'm not catholic, its doesn't affect me? I just feel the money could be spent far better on a failing economy. That £10m could keep 500 people in a job on £20k for a year?

Whats your opinions on this?

Rob

I like the visit, purely because my lectures got cancelled tomorrow due to road closure :lol:

Jokes aside, it really is ridiculous how much its going to cost and the amount of disruption its going to cause!

The goverment wanna a big size 10 up there behind there thinking about reduceing the police on street cutting costs on that and every other thing BUT they wanna spend 10 million just because the pope comeing really i could'nt give a toss if hes comeing into town tell this country is f up.

In my personal opinion £10m is alot of money to spend on one persons visit. At the end of the day i know he's a very powerful and influential person but for example I'm not catholic, its doesn't affect me? I just feel the money could be spent far better on a failing economy. That £10m could keep 500 people in a job on £20k for a year?

Whats your opinions on this?

Rob

Hi Rob,

I agree their splashing out a lot of dosh, but most of it will stay in the country as its going to be spent on police expenses re-surfacing the route the pope will take from the airport, Newspapers etcetera , also the people losing their jobs will cost the government money as they will receive statchatory redundancy Which will also filter back in to the country and if the company making them redundant is foreign the extra money the receive will in time boost the economy so if the government let 500 people go they will make money on their spending of redundancy you guys are lucky still have the pound it has to be converted to euro which also helps the government not like us paddys euro can be taken out of the country with no tax charge.

If the government wants to make the cash back they will just hike up their export charges, were currently importing second hand 2010 focuses cars from the Uk to sell over here as theirs no 2010 focuss second hand here so thats also a help to your economy, my advise start printing T-Shirts with the pope on them as they will sell like hot buns, the amount of people who will flock to see they ground he most recently stood will be immense,

Also how good will it look on the peace process (Which i 100% Support) for the north of Ireland to accept the number 1 loved catholic in to your country for some tea

*** Starts making t-shirts *** :lol:

HI5

Win/Win Situation Guys :D

Out of the government's pocket in to your own

well he's done his rounds...

Was anyone touched by that £10m worth of spending?

Maybe "touched" isnt the best of words....

On topic... Lenny i understand what your saying... and fair enough as much as im making a joke/laugh i know it means alot to people and wether or not it was spent wisely its still fishy to me for some reason... possibly because im young and naive

We elect a government to run the affairs of the state to the best of their ability and hopefully do the best they can. This isn't based upon which party you support or not but on the facts of the situation. For many people, religion is very important to them and they need it to help them through life. I am not one of them, but I understand people who do actually believe. What I would say is that the visit of the pope is going to be very helpful for many catholics around the country and many will feel his visit as a fulfilment of a life of believing in God.

Let's think about it another way. The financial crisis that has brought the UK to it's knees due to the overindulgence of bankers has left the UK with a near £200bn budget deficit and they still haven't learned their lesson! £10m for the visit of a very important person who brings the spotlight to the UK, gives hope to many, is cheap in my eyes!

I don't support the UK welcoming a visit by a group of pedos, even to have the Queen stand next to one of them.

One great comment came from the pope though... he believes that religion is dying out in our modern society, fantastic! Now i don't think he's THAT out of touch.

I don't support the visit, but i am glad its gone smoothly and the police did a good job on that, so in that case... i guess i support the £10m? hmmm

I haven't read any other posts here as I want to give mu own humble opinion on this.

The popes visit is a PR stunt to bring "The Flock" all back together --If we are again all happy with the catholic church ,they are hoping donations will increase.I was born catholic and after what has happened with all the abuse --I now am ashamed to be catholic.

The other thing is that when all our economies are in serious trouble --the powers that be fork out millions on a PR stunt for the vatican.

The pope has probably got a better reception in the UK than he would have in Ireland.

There is serious anger and its very widespread towards the catholic church over here .

I'll end by saying --how many ill or homeless people would that money have helped????

I normally stay away from these topics but this really angers me.I do not want to get in a debate or argument with anyone over my own opinion as each to their own.

To the admins --if i have said anything that is not allowed please let me know and I will remove post.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club