Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Am I Being Too Fussy?

steve271

I bought a brand new 1.25 Zetec just under one month ago. I am very happy with the car. It drives great etc. There is only one thing I am not too happy about and that is the fact that the passenger door is not totally flush with rear panel when its closed. I have included some pics of what I am talking about to get your opinion. I am wondering if I am just being too fussy. Would you put this in for correction or would you leave it alone in case they damage the car or make things worse when they are trying to fix it. I know I suffer from OCD :rolleyes: PS IT IS FLUSH AT THE BOTTOM AND STARTS TO STICK OUT AS YOU GET TO THE UPPER HALF OF THE DOOR. So it would not be as simple as adjusting the striker plate i dont think!

Fez009.jpg

Fez010.jpg

Fez008.jpg

Get it fixed mate, looks like a quick 10 minute job at the dealers, looks like the locking plate (catch) needs moving over i.e simply adjusting.

If it was me, ide probably fiddle with it myself

Mine (also white) is flush from top to bottom when shut

Get it fixed mate, looks like a quick 10 minute job at the dealers, looks like the locking plate (catch) needs moving over i.e simply adjusting.

If it was me, ide probably fiddle with it myself

Mine (also white) is flush from top to bottom when shut

The thing is if they adjust the striker plate then it will pull the flush lower part of the door too far in! :lol:

Ive got the same problem with my 2009 mk7 passenger door , identical problem ,never really worried me but i might see if they can ajust it next time i take it for a service

Mine was like that when I got it and the dealer adjusted it. Looks fine now.

I have much the same on mine but the opposite way round. The top of my passengers door is flush but the bottom sticks out a bit.

I like things to be right as well and I did mention it when the car was in getting other things corrected from new. The guy who inspected it said 'is it purely for cosmetics because we can try and adjust it but if it causes wind noise etc after well' ............. I just decided to leave it because I thought I might be better avoiding a potential botch up. :unsure:

I have much the same on mine but the opposite way round. The top of my passengers door is flush but the bottom sticks out a bit.

I like things to be right as well and I did mention it when the car was in getting other things corrected from new. The guy who inspected it said 'is it purely for cosmetics because we can try and adjust it but if it causes wind noise etc after well' ............. I just decided to leave it because I thought I might be better avoiding a potential botch up. :unsure:

Ah see this is exactly what worries me. I shudder at the thought of them starting to rip panels off because I never feel that things can be put back together as good as they were at the build factory. When I mentioned it to the service dept they said I needed to book it in for at least two hours in case they wanted to remove the door :o I booked one of my previous vauxhall cars in once to get an air vent fixed and they damaged the dashboard. At the same time though if its a dead easy fix then I would rather let them do it.

You bought a ford......what did you expect?

:P

Ha ha, well to be honest I am very impressed with the build quality apart from this. I guess the guy fitting the passenger doors was having an off day. Oh and it was built on a Thursday at Niehl not a Friday :P

In answer to your question, yes. You are being to fussy haha.

You think I should just forget about it then?

needs to be adjusted, let them know as it dosnt seem to be right. You could try to convice them by telling a small lie like you have found some water inside.

You think I should just forget about it then?

yeah, looking at the pictures it looks the same as mine. why risk having it altered and causing a real problem when it isn't actually causing any problems as it is.

When I picked up my ex-demo MK7 zetec last week, the dealership had a brand new Focus Titanium in the showroom. I was amazed that they had a car sat there with one of the rear doors so obviously out of alignment....it just looked so badly finished!

To be honest, I don't think it looks too bad. If you can live with it, fair enough. You could tell them to make a note of it, then when its in for service ask them to have a look at it. If they say its a minor adjustment get it done, but they will need to see it before assesing it.

Thanks for all the comments. I had a closer look at it today and noticed its also slightly too far in at the bottom front as below. Would probably need a hinge adjustment I think.

Fez009-1.jpg

I don't think you're being too fussy at all and should definitely take it to be adjusted. They did mine no problem, its a minor thing but if you're a bit of a perfectionist it'll drive u made knowing it's even a little bit off. They'll do it for you no problem. :)

I don't think you're being too fussy at all and should definitely take it to be adjusted. They did mine no problem, its a minor thing but if you're a bit of a perfectionist it'll drive u made knowing it's even a little bit off. They'll do it for you no problem. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I got this problem with the rear passenger door. Can that striker be adjusted like the fronts? Because at the moment I can push the door is a bit, unlike the drivers side where its solid.

An UPDATE on this!

Had it into the dealer today and they were unable to fix it. Would need to be sent to a bodyshop they say.

Phoned ford customer services and said I was not happy about putting the car into the bodyshop but I was also not happy with a new car being delivered to me in a less than perfect state. They suggested that I should reject the vehicle!

well I think you should reject the car, it's small things like that which can/will spoil your ownership of the car. Some people might not be too bothered but personally it would annoy me.

Too fussy? No …you paid good money to have a car you want to own and like and if that’s not happening then Ford should take note.

I agree with cyb, you paid so much money for it so it should be finished to a high quality. Besides, so it doesn't leak now but what if it causes problems in the future???

Both my doors were slightly out of line on my Zetec S and it was bugging me. My car is white and in a certain shades of light it looked like the doors were not properly shut. I took it back to the dealer and they had the car in for a day. When I got it back in my opinion it did not look any different, they said they had done what they could but if I was still not happy with it they would have to send it away to their bodyshop. Well I left it for awhile but then I decided to have a drive to the bodyshop which is about 30 miles away myself. I am glad I did, a chap fixed it while I waited, he just loosened the striker plates and lightly tapped them with a rubber mallet which pulled the doors in. He said that the other dealership had not touched it, I think I might take it down there for it's service.

Both my doors were slightly out of line on my Zetec S and it was bugging me. My car is white and in a certain shades of light it looked like the doors were not properly shut. I took it back to the dealer and they had the car in for a day. When I got it back in my opinion it did not look any different, they said they had done what they could but if I was still not happy with it they would have to send it away to their bodyshop. Well I left it for awhile but then I decided to have a drive to the bodyshop which is about 30 miles away myself. I am glad I did, a chap fixed it while I waited, he just loosened the striker plates and lightly tapped them with a rubber mallet which pulled the doors in. He said that the other dealership had not touched it, I think I might take it down there for it's service.

I think they may have tried to adjust the striker plate in an attempt to close the gap at handle area of the door. They did not really make any difference to that area. The area at the bottom that was ok is now slightly too far in! This means that the edge of the adjacent panel it is now catching the air going by the door and is getting dirty very fast. I have also been told that over time the paintwork in this area will become pitted etc unless the door is moved back out.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club