Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 15 Amp Engine Fuse Problem - Keeps Blowing

jbone

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can please help me with a problem I am having with my ford focus, its a 99 focus so quite old but hoping someone can still help. Here is what happened and is happening:

One day I did a 20 mile drive to my home, parked up when I got home and went in the house. 5 minutes later I came out and went to start the car again and go to the shops. The car starting almost starting but spluttering and eventually wouldn't start the engine would cut. It did this 4 or 5 times of trying and then the spluttering completely stopped and the car just wouldn't start. I thought it could be because I didn't have enough fuel so went and bought some and topped it up, this had no impact and the car still wouldn't start. Next I spoke to my MOT guy and he said try replacing the 15 amp fuse, it could be blown. First question here actually - how do you know if a fuse is blown? what does it look like?

Anyway back to the story, my 15 amp fuse was replaced and then walla! perfect car started first time again so well pleased. Anyway used the car 4 or 5 times after that then went to a petrol station maybe the 6th time of using my car again, I filled it up with petrol then came back to the car to start it and the F***r wouldn't start. same spluttering problem so I persumed must be the fuse, luckily I had a spare from the first time I brought them. I replaced the fuse again and perfect result started again. I then used the car 6 or 7 more times, then one day did a long journey of around 50 - 60 miles, got home went in the house to get changed for football came out 5 - 10 minutes later and again the F***r did the spluttering and wouldn't start. So off I mission it to the Halfords on foot get two more fuses and it worked again and this brings us right up to date, so right now its fine sat on the drive but the engine sounds like it may die as the car is old but really what I'm asking is why is this happening?? Does anyone know please? And if you know why it may be happening what can I do to fix and rectify the problem? It's really !Removed! me off lol!

Also please don't reply with go to an electrician or a garage as I like getting my hands dirty and fixing the problems myself!

Thanks in advance for any help as it is most appreciated.

Best

Jbone

there is a capacitor for the ignition system. it is located to the left of the oil cap. its a little black box with 2 wire coming out of the top of it, one wire grounds near the passenger strut tower, and the other go towards the motor. check the wires on that. if ones loose its shorting, blowing the fuse. look for signs of elecrical arcs around it, if theres arcs, thats your bug.

unbolt the capacitor, and replace.

also a faulty alternator can cause this ie over charging as can a fuel pump issue all of which yo would need to test

• 1 year later...

Hello, I have exactly the same problem on a Fiesta 1.2 Zetec, after a local mechanic replaced the head gasket, but he now refuses to look at it.

The fuse is a 15 amp with the logo of an engine and is labeled F12.

Does anyone know what this fuse supplies?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club