Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ice Upgrades

Hassen

Thats very unfair about the P+P, its free to mainland UK!

I found this in Halfords, (Vibe Slick 5x7" 80w rms) -

Halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_768537_langId_-1_categoryId_265870#tab2

Or just do a search online for "5x7" car speaker" and find one with the required spec / postage (the RMS power is the most important 70w rms absolute minimum for use with your Bluapunkt amp )

if you are using 2 (bridge mode) of your 4 channels of your amp to drive the subwoofer, you will have 2 channels left over to drive your front 2 Speakers, your 2 rear door/ panel Speakers could be run from your head unit (so they would be a bit quiet or may overload compared to the powerful front speakers) - you coold fit infrasonic passive crossovers to the rear door/ panel Speakers to increase the power handling of the speakers/ amps to make them sound louder

some people remove their spare wheel (+ replace it with tyreweld etc) and build a sunken/ flush sub into it, (ive seen 2x10s/ 1 x10 or 1x12s in them) or you can invert the spare and get one that fits into the middle of the wheel, this may not have quite the same performance as your sub, (mabee a good one might) but is probably a bit lighter and worth considering for you if you often have to remove your sub-woofer box!

happy to chat about speakers ice! - its about time i did something special to my own car! - its still stiock! (just never got round to it!)

Thats very unfair about the P+P, its free to mainland UK!

I found this in Halfords, (Vibe Slick 5x7" 80w rms) -

halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_768537_langId_-1_categoryId_265870#tab2

Or just do a search online for "5x7" car speaker" and find one with the required spec / postage (the RMS power is the most important 70w rms absolute minimum for use with your Bluapunkt amp )

if you are using 2 (bridge mode) of your 4 channels of your amp to drive the subwoofer, you will have 2 channels left over to drive your front 2 speakers, your 2 rear door/ panel speakers could be run from your head unit (so they would be a bit quiet or may overload compared to the powerful front speakers) - you coold fit infrasonic passive crossovers to the rear door/ panel speakers to increase the power handling of the speakers/ amps to make them sound louder

some people remove their spare wheel (+ replace it with tyreweld etc) and build a sunken/ flush sub into it, (ive seen 2x10s/ 1 x10 or 1x12s in them) or you can invert the spare and get one that fits into the middle of the wheel, this may not have quite the same performance as your sub, (mabee a good one might) but is probably a bit lighter and worth considering for you if you often have to remove your sub-woofer box!

happy to chat about speakers ice! - its about time i did something special to my own car! - its still stiock! (just never got round to it!)

We get the wrong end of the stick when it comes to postage to the Republic most of the time. Think I might just bite the bullet and get the Kenwood ones so that they are shipped by the end of this coming week to be fitted next Saturday in the sound guy.

So far didn't have to remove the sub many times in the old car and the Focus has an even bigger boot than my old Megane. Reckon I should be fine unless we go on a major trip in the near future. Plus, I reckon that with my luck, the minute I take off the spare wheel to put the sub in, I will end up with a puncture.

Btw, you have any ideas Foca of what you want to do for your ICE? As I am curious what other members have in their cars and how hard was it to get it all done.

I will be posting updates on how it goes. So far the tentative plan is to wire up the Kenwood Speakers to the amp, connect the Edge 12" sub to the Blaupunkt GTA 470 and connect the amp then to the original Ford headunit. Reckon it will be much better sounding than the stock Speakers. Also, forgot to mention that I will relocate the AUX port as I bought a cable that will fit into the headunit and has a male 3.5mm end that will just connect to my mp3 player then.

Update:

Today got the sound system sorted. The Kenwood Speakers that I ordered from amazon in the end didn't fit. The replacement Speakers I got was a pair of Vibe Slick 6(165mm/6.5" circular) that so far sound great and didn't break the bank. The wires needed to be spliced and the Ford connectors had to be cut off to make it work. My sound guy cut off(basically sawed off) the original door Speakers and used the surround piece of plastic to screw in the new speakers in. Downside is now I can't put back the original speakers as they are in pieces. He also relocated the AUX wire so that now it comes out near the heater dials.

Finally it's all in the car and the sound is miles better than the stock system. Really happy with the end result. Cheers guys for all the help and in the process, I learned loads about my car. Thanks also to Pat Rowan at Dialacom in Tullamore for putting it altogether. If anyone needs work on their sound system in the Midlands, Ireland, I highly recommend Pat. The man knows what he is doing and the quality of his work is outstanding.

Here are some pictures:

IMAG0787.jpg

IMAG0791.jpg

IMAG0792.jpg

IMAG0793.jpg

Glad you got it sorted! - looks good

Thanks for all the info Foca. It sounds great so far.

By the way, the Kenwood Speakers I got didn't want to fit in the door. Any 165 cm circular speaker will do for anyone looking to change the Speakers. Just cut out the Ford Speakers with a hacksaw, leave the black plastic surrounds in the door and screw in the new speakers. No need for adaptors etc. The new speakers will have to be connected to the wires as the Ford connectors will need to be cut out. Not a hard job but a tedious one to manage. Well worth the hassle though :)

Instead of chopping wires you can buy an adaptor that goes between the ford plugs and the new Speakers.

Instead of chopping wires you can buy an adaptor that goes between the ford plugs and the new speakers.

Cheers for the info. Think I saw them on eBay being made by Autoleads. Might come in handy when I do decide to upgrade the rear Speakers.

mmm, i currently have a 12" Vibe Sub/Amp combo (Vibe CBR12 Active) and i like it but it 'drones' a lot and I am thinking of getting a 10" sub to give me that thump soun, am I right that the smaller sub will do this?

I have also managed to get myself a one off built sub enclosure that will fit in the passenger side space in the boot - will try and get a pic later of it, this will leave me lots of space in the boot as i plan to mount the amp on the other side. I currently use the Vibe fastplugs so i can remove the sub box out of the boot if i need the space. One big downside is I am using the Ford/Sony DAB OEM H/U and am using the RCA adaptors so the sub is working off the rear Speakers and the car Speakers (front and rear) are running off the front Speakers.

sorry about the mess in the boot, been very lazy recently

current set up and future sub box to be installed (currently the hole is 13" but am i right in thinking i can use a price of mdf with a 10" and fix (screws and sealant) this into the sub and then add the sub?

post-28472-0-56285400-1354562976_thumb.j

post-28472-0-33490300-1354563378_thumb.j

sorry about the mess in the boot, been very lazy recently

current set up and future sub box to be installed (currently the hole is 13" but am i right in thinking i can use a price of mdf with a 10" and fix (screws and sealant) this into the sub and then add the sub?

Cool sub enclosure. I am myself thinking as well of whether to downsize the size of my 12" sub to a 10" one as I think the 12" is a bit of an overkill for my uses. Unsure about the ''thump'' with the 10" though. Might have to hear them side by side to make up my mind.

Btw where did you get the sub enclosure from and how does it all fit into the boot? Any new pictures of it inside the boot?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of upgrading the headunit after christmas. Would love to get a nice touchscreen one with bluetooth, aux input, ipod input optional, good quality sound and not too expensive. Sat nav would be an optional extra if I can get it for my budget. Total spend = €400-500 euro.

Would love to hear any suggestions from you guys.

Thanks

Cool sub enclosure. I am myself thinking as well of whether to downsize the size of my 12" sub to a 10" one as I think the 12" is a bit of an overkill for my uses. Unsure about the ''thump'' with the 10" though. Might have to hear them side by side to make up my mind.

Btw where did you get the sub enclosure from and how does it all fit into the boot? Any new pictures of it inside the boot?

Cheers

I will try and get some pics for you with the sub enclosure in the boot. I got it off a guy on the ST Owners forum for £50 delivered, he had it made up by some Scottish Audio Installers for £150! There is a guy on eBay that can replicate it or make you customer enclosures. Currently the sub hole is 13" but I will be attaching a piece of mdf to take a 10" sub.

salskeikh,

so you are running your sub off the rear speaker outputs... are you running into an amp first or straight into the sub?

salskeikh,

so you are running your sub off the rear speaker outputs... are you running into an amp first or straight into the sub?

Dave,

i have an RCA adaptor to the rear speaker outputs to the sub then into the sub. Got an amplified Vibe set up (CBR12) so its all set up without me having to work out what amp/combo is best.

mmm, i currently have a 12" Vibe Sub/Amp combo (Vibe CBR12 Active) and i like it but it 'drones' a lot and I am thinking of getting a 10" sub to give me that thump soun, am I right that the smaller sub will do this?

. One big downside is I am using the Ford/Sony DAB OEM H/U and am using the RCA adaptors so the sub is working off the rear speakers and the car speakers (front and rear) are running off the front speakers.

just to answer your questions -

The "droning" is not because a sub is 12" or 10" either can "drone" - its more about getting them set up right - eg - getting the crossover frequency right/ realative volume levels/ how solid the cabinet is etc etc

The rear speaker outputs can run the rca adaptor/s AND the rear Speakers

Concerning the new head unit, have a look at the guide in my signature n see what you think of my pioneer. It's got ipod/aux inputs, touch screen, input for a reverse parking camera. N if you pay about 40quid more, you can get the bluetooth version which is the 2400bt. Total cost is around 300quid. (240 for the head unit, 60 for the fitting kit) you can even add satnav as a 200quid optional extra. Or if you own an ipod touch or something that has a free satnav app on it, you can connect the ipod to the head unit using app mode n get the satnav on the head unit for free.

The built in amp of the head unit is also great, so i'm noticing a great difference in sound quality just from my stock Speakers. So if you already have aftermarket Speakers you should be pleased.

Or if you don't wanna pee about with fitting kits n want a plug n play head unit for a decent price, have a look at the none brand head unit thats the shape of the stock oval 6000cd that liam has just bought himself. Looks quality n also has satnav.

I will try and get some pics for you with the sub enclosure in the boot. I got it off a guy on the ST Owners forum for £50 delivered, he had it made up by some Scottish Audio Installers for £150! There is a guy on ebay that can replicate it or make you customer enclosures. Currently the sub hole is 13" but I will be attaching a piece of mdf to take a 10" sub.

I would love to have a nice, small custom enclosure in the car so that I get a bit more boot space and the weight is kept down to a minimum.

Any links to the guy on eBay by any chance? Cheers

I would love to have a nice, small custom enclosure in the car so that I get a bit more boot space and the weight is kept down to a minimum.

Any links to the guy on ebay by any chance? Cheers

here you go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boot-build-custom-fiberglass-sub-box-12-10-stealth-side-enclosure-OEM-space-save-/150962970468?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2326181f64

Any links to the guy on ebay by any chance? Cheers

Id love one of these pioneer flat twin sub system for the floor of the boot the have fantastic reviews and take up little space

As standard they have a anti scratch coating and built in amp.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180803451934?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Id recommend the exhaust&remap before the stereo upgrade mate trust me its worth it.

i'd always thought those shallow subs/under seat subs werent all that! i suppose it depends on how loud you want it!

i got myself a 10" amplified Vibe box from a mate for £40 and its made a huge difference compared to my 12" sub, love the kicking bass it gives.

Thanks a million. That is definitely something I will look into. Thinking of ditching the current enclosure and keeping the subwoofer and connections to put it in the custom enclosure. I can always sell the enclosure after.

How heavy is it and does it fit all nicely in the Focus? I got a 2010 Ford Focus MK2.5 and it will have to be shipped to Ireland

Id love one of these pioneer flat twin sub system for the floor of the boot the have fantastic reviews and take up little space

As standard they have a anti scratch coating and built in amp.

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Id recommend the exhaust&remap before the stereo upgrade mate trust me its worth it.

I am not entirely convinced of those flat subs to be honest. Would prefer a proper one with a custom enclosure as I will not look like a boy racer everytime I open up the boot to get my son's buggy out lol

Regarding the remap, I think it will have to wait a bit even though I would love to get it done sooner. To be honest, at the moment, the car has a very usable power band and it is hard to justify the expense at present. I reckon in a few months time when I get more funds and time, it will definitely get done. Will keep you posted on that front Lenny and cheers for all the info. Will be looking at Souhans to get that sorted.