Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,934 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Think I will leave the sub as it is for now but your suggestion about the Ipad install has sparked a whole host of possibilities in my mind!

I was actually thinking of getting a Nexus 7 (I am not a fan of Apple at all) and with a few apps, it might suit my needs and more. There are plenty of music apps and car apps. There are even a couple that can be hooked up to the port and get data from the car! This might be the perfect solution for me.

Total cost for the Nexus 7 and a holder would be less than the Sony headunit I was considering. And I still retain the tablet to take out of the car and use after.

Anyone has done something similar or am I going to be the first one to try this out?

Sounds good mate,
I think your the first to do this on the ford scene,
The focus mk2 and mk2.5 have a good dash layout for it.
But i have to say, if i was fitting id do as moog said in the video,
Fit a single din cheapest stereo i could find with an aux in port and mount it inside the top of the glove box
Then you can control the volume more easily aswell as listen to the odd cd or radio on long journeys but still out of sight hidden in the glove box.
This would also allow you to use your steering wheel volume control stalk to adjust volume on the touch pad or change track on cd etc.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#122 Hassen

Hassen

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 690 posts
  • Name: Hassen
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Mk 2.5 1.6TDCI 2010

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Think this will need either a lot of thinking or I will just give up and buy a vent mounted support for the tablet is hook it up to the Aux input that is already in. Reckon the first step is to get the tablet before they run out of it. Pc World are doing a deal for the Nexus 7 32Gb for €250 which is not bad. If I get a chance this weekend, I might get it along with a ordering a car mount for it.

So far this is the only decent mount I found:

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

It looks sturdy enough and the actual part that goes into the vent is the same as the one I have now for my phone holder. So basically all I would need to do is pop the tablet in the surround and put it onto my current car mount. Should be a doddle as they say if all goes well. I will then hook up the 3.5mm jack to the audio, get a decent EQ app along with Car Home Ultra and that should be it. Music, Maps/Navigation and Entertainment all sorted while retaining my cd player and radio.

Any suggestions welcomed :)

#123 Hassen

Hassen

• FOC Supporters
  • 690 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Update:
Bought the Nexus 7 and it's an amazing tablet. I tried to get it fitted in the car today and these are my efforts.
My first attempt was to try to use Play Dough to see how it would all fit. Found out that it was too soft but knew where and how to place the Blutack instead.
This is the temporary result

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I didn't get a chance to drive the car with this setup yet and this will be tomorrow on my way to work. On further research, I found a product called Sugru that is a mouldable silicone putty type thing that cures into any shape. It looks promising and I am going to order some to see if I can make sound corners to hold the Nexus into place and so that it is easily removable after as well. This should be interesting

#124 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,418 posts
  • Name: Charlie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 115BHP
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

Random but i just bought my Missus a nexus 7 32gb just yesterday.

Wonder if i can get it to work with my pioneer head unit. I know its made for ipod buy i dunno about android.

#125 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hassen, be careful when driving with the tablet, last thing you want is that to fall off and get stuck under your feet/pedals.

#126 joepop

joepop

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: 2.0 tdci

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hi Hassan

I use a nexus 7 in my car. I simply have a black Velcro strip above the stereo and another big on the back of the nexus. It works a dream and has never fallen off. Might be better than blu tac.

Cheers

#127 joepop

joepop

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: 2.0 tdci

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Hi Hassan

I use a nexus 7 in my car. I simply have a black Velcro strip above the stereo and another bit on the back of the nexus. It works a dream and has never fallen off. Might be better than blu tac.

Cheers

#128 Hassen

Hassen

• FOC Supporters
  • 690 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Random but i just bought my Missus a nexus 7 32gb just yesterday.

Wonder if i can get it to work with my pioneer head unit. I know its made for ipod buy i dunno about android.

I reckon that if you have an aux input on the pioneer head unit you could hook it all up. It works well with the standard Ford unit that I have

#129 Hassen

Hassen

• FOC Supporters
  • 690 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hassen, be careful when driving with the tablet, last thing you want is that to fall off and get stuck under your feet/pedals.

True that. Made sure it was secure before driving off. Ordered some Sugru to make custom mounts for it and will post an update once I get it done.

#130 Hassen

Hassen

• FOC Supporters
  • 690 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

Hi Hassan

I use a nexus 7 in my car. I simply have a black Velcro strip above the stereo and another big on the back of the nexus. It works a dream and has never fallen off. Might be better than blu tac.

Cheers

I thought about using Velcro but had none at home. Any chance you have pictures of your setup? Would love to see how it works for you

#131 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,418 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

My pioneers got the aux jack n a usb so it should work i suppose

Velco's dirt cheap anyway if thats what your gonna use. Get it in all supermarkets. Its what i use to mount my fake stereo works a treat

#132 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,497 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

Just be sure that you don't get caught watching films on the move or be perceived as interacting with a hand held device while driving.
It would be considered akin to using a hand held phone while driving.

#133 Hassen

Hassen

• FOC Supporters
  • 690 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

My pioneers got the aux jack n a usb so it should work i suppose

Velco's dirt cheap anyway if thats what your gonna use. Get it in all supermarkets. Its what i use to mount my fake stereo works a treat

It should be the same as mine as I connect the Nexus via the aux input. Works like a charm. Will get Velcro this weekend and get modding. Any suggestions where to mount it?

#134 Hassen

Hassen

• FOC Supporters
  • 690 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Just be sure that you don't get caught watching films on the move or be perceived as interacting with a hand held device while driving.
It would be considered akin to using a hand held phone while driving.

Thanks for the heads up. I would never watch a movie while driving. It was be a recipe for a sure car accident. Plus I have no movies on the tablet.
I basically only use it for music and it's awesome!

#135 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,418 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Dunno mate was gonna say you could always mount it over the top of your head unit but dunno if that would work cause of the volume knob.

By the way, what would you say the sound quality of the nexus is like in general?

My Missus says she has read loads of reviews saying the sound quality is crap and really quiet

But she says she dunno what they talking about n reckons its really good quality like you'd expect

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users