Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Yeah, i thought it looked a little futher back than it would normally sit. I already wrapped my 2 plastic surround bits, but the bigger of the 2 comes away slightly on the bottom right, were the useless clips they supplied won't grip the console hard enough. Then the finishing trim, it has little teeth to hold it in place on each corner, I did a test fit, but on removing this, most of the teeth wore away. Terrible quality. All the wiring was great, if not a tad to long for what was needed. And as stated earlier, it was a nightmare finding somewhere for it to live grrr lol. Gonna search eBay and see if I can find one of the other fascias to do away with this one soon.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,381 posts
  • Name: Charlie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 115BHP
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Are you sure you have the head unit/cage positioned as good as it could be?

As when i first fitted it the fascia kept coming out at the corner. But it was actually from the head unit not being wegded in perfectly.

I just kept playing about with the position and wedged it in n eventually the fascia adaptor seatd beautifully.

The metal clips hold it in fine, if anything a bit too well as i couldnt get the !Removed! thing back out n ended up snapping 2 of the clips off in the process

#18 Mike77

Mike77

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Yeah its deffo in as good as its gonna get, its not gonna go anywhere, but looking at it, I'm not impressed, like I said, others can't find fault, but my dam OCD is saying it would look better with the complete fascia rather than the adaptor surround which is in there now lol.

#19 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,381 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Nah i do agree mate, i'd rather have the proper head unit surround with an actual double din sized hole in it so there would be no need for the fascia adaptor.

But i wouldnt be able to mount my dummy head unit to it so i'm sacrificing a bit of asthetic looks for piece of mind that it won't get nicked.

I know its not to your liking but i actually think it was a genius idea me trimming the fascia adaptor so it sits in a few mm deeper.

When i get round to it i'm gonna redip all the dash pieces (head unit surround etc) in a darker base colour to look more like carbon, so when i do i'll dip the fascia adaptor too so it'll all be the same colour n blend in better.

If you want i could always dip some parts for you too if you don't like the look of the wrap lol

#20 Mike77

Mike77

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Thanks very much for the offer mate, but I actually lo e the look of the wrap, especially when I managed such a goof finish first time haha. The idea of the new fascia has been strengthened by the fact that were the new surround sits, then the radio being shoved in, has actually started to slightly push the carbon wrap in a couple of corners on the actual dash/radio surround. So it just won't do, and a new one will be ordered and wrapped accordingly lol. Also going to research if its possible to wire the camera without a switch so I can use it while driving. Use of a relay will be incorporated somewhere. Just want it to act as it should in reverse, but be able to select camera on the unit while driving and have it operate that way.

#21 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,381 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

I'm trying to suss out a new way of wiring the camera up to be used while traveling forward too.

I thought by wiring it to a perm live on ign feed but having the camera turned off in the menu might be enough, but it wasnt as even if the cameras turned off in the menu, the camera was still permanantly on.

Which was why i added the switch to cut the power from the perm live.

#22 Davinder Sangha

Davinder Sangha

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Style 1.4 TDi

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Hi, just hijacking this thread. I have a Fiesta, but the principals in installing seem the same. My problem is that my camera has an extra set of wires.

http://www.ebay.com/...a-/190664950248

So, instead of a video connection and red power connection. It also has another power wire which is open ended.

I did actually test the unit with a 3 pin plug charger and it worked fine, without the need to connect the extra exposed wires to any power.

I'm going to give it a go again and splice some of the wires coming out of the car. The wires coming out of the car are two wires connected to the light (orange/black and black) plus there is an unused one which is also orange/black.

Any help is appreciated.

#23 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,381 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

What wire are you on about exactly? Looking at the pictures it has the correct 3 wires.

So going by your post i'm assuming your asking about the power cable for the number plate light?

If so, i explained in detail in the guide how to connect this wire, in fact its the first wire i showed what to do with.

You simply need to unscrew and remove an existing number plate light, and splice the new power cable into the existing number plate power supply as i did in my photos

#24 vince_13

vince_13

Vince

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name: Andrew
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

hi brig

hopefully you might be able help me

ive bought a similar reverse camera to yours, however mine is wireless (trans from the boot recvd at the dash)

i fitted it to the boot, usng a number plate light, spliced the old wiring for the led and also spliced the same light wiring for the power to the transmitter (subsequently the camera only opeartes when the side lights are on, that the boot done

now to the front, all i needed was a 12v feed, i took the yellow 12v and the black grnd for the stereo to power the receiver,

now the problem is the camera operates when NOT in reverse, when i go into reverse i get a black screen when it should show a display

what socket did you put the yellow connector into? mine is currently in AUXin as it doesnt work in CCDin

any thoughts?

#25 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,381 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

alright vince mate

going by what you've said, none of it is actually connected to reverse gear so the head unit doesnt have any way of knowing when reverse gear is selected

dunno about yours but on the back of my head unit theres a socket marked rc in, this is what the yellow connector goes into

also my wiring loom theres a wire labeled reverse gear signal input, this wire had to be connected to the reverse light so that the head unit knows when reverse gear is selected

#26 vince_13

vince_13

Vince

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name: Andrew
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

hiya brig

figured out the problem now, its all down to power, what i had orignally done was wired the supply for the receiver in parallel to the cd player supply, this meant that when ever the cd player was on the receiver was giving the HU a input signal, hence why only a image would show up and you couldn't do anything else, once we realised this we knew we had to find a supply from a source that would be switched live, we couldn't find any, so we decided to try the reverse light, we found the wires behind the boot carpet on the side and spliced into there and boom everything working

so soldered everything back in and now works perfectly,

lesson learnt ... don't try cut corners, do the job properly in the first place haha :D

#27 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,381 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

hiya brig

figured out the problem now, its all down to power, what i had orignally done was wired the supply for the receiver in parallel to the cd player supply, this meant that when ever the cd player was on the receiver was giving the HU a input signal, hence why only a image would show up and you couldn't do anything else, once we realised this we knew we had to find a supply from a source that would be switched live, we couldn't find any, so we decided to try the reverse light, we found the wires behind the boot carpet on the side and spliced into there and boom everything working

so soldered everything back in and now works perfectly,

lesson learnt ... don't try cut corners, do the job properly in the first place haha :D

Lol yup would help wiring the reverse camera into the reverse light :D

Glad you got it sorted n working now mate

#28 Nickster

Nickster

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Name: Nick
  • Ford Model: Focus zetec s 1.6 tdci
  • Year: 2011

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

Great guide brigante ,

Just received my rear cam and hope to follow your guide this weekend . Bought a 3.5 inch lcd screen to view it on . Have pulled that to pieces already and fitted it into a mondeo sunglasses holder . doesn't look to bad so far :)

20130515_174346.jpg

8bb8da5e-6600-43bd-a878-3435e1858f11.jpg

a0c816e5-bfbe-45b7-ba09-0fa3c3c46dc5.jpg

#29 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Lawman

• Super Mod
  • 12,849 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

Very nicely done custom installation, ingenious and practical indeed.

Well done there Sir.

#30 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,381 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

Great guide brigante ,

Just received my rear cam and hope to follow your guide this weekend . Bought a 3.5 inch lcd screen to view it on . Have pulled that to pieces already and fitted it into a mondeo sunglasses holder . doesn't look to bad so far :)

8bb8da5e-6600-43bd-a878-3435e1858f11.jpg

Very nicely done custom installation, ingenious and practical indeed.

Well done there Sir.

agreed with clive, certainly a nice custom job you've come up with there

you should have less wiring too as it isnt going into a head unit

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users