Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Installing A Reverse Parking Camera

Brigante

Hi,

Does anyone have the pictures that they can email me please from this thread?

They're not coming up.

Thanks

Unfortunately my photos have been viewed too many times this month so my image hosting account has reached it's bandwidth allowance. The free bandwidth allowance won't reset till the 4th May so my photos will be down until then.

If anyone would like to make a paypal donation to get my photos back up in the guides they are more than welcome to.

• 3 months later...

My reversing camera arrived on Saturday - supposed to clip in to replace the number plate lamp on facelift but it didn't fit very well at all. I had to file various bits of it plus put a much larger chamfer on the body of the camera AND still do a bit of surgery on the finisher before I was happy with it :huh:

Hoping it still works after all that.

Unfortunately my photos have been viewed too many times this month so my image hosting account has reached it's bandwidth allowance. The free bandwidth allowance won't reset till the 4th May so my photos will be down until then.

If anyone would like to make a paypal donation to get my photos back up in the guides they are more than welcome to.

Managed to see the earlier photos by right clicking and copying image url then pasting the link into Chrome (in IE you need to select Properties to see the url and copy it) ;)

Was going to post this in the Sat Nav topic but my update is probably better with this topic

Am probably about 2/3 of the way through the camera installation on my facelift ST using the great information from the OP

I expected the camera to arrive before my new headunit so thought I would kick off getting the wiring work done. Not a great start though, the camera was a right pain to get fitted nicely into the finisher. It didn't sit flush, wouldn't lock in place and the camera fouled the finisher quite a bit too. Dremel and various hand-files needed to perform the required camera/tailgate finisher surgery :o

Work in progress shot here

IMG_2180a.jpg

The grommet for the finisher had a spare stub to use but there was no way the wiring with connectors and junction block would go through it so I had to cut the cable and rejoin it after I'd fed it through - then some faffing to try and seal the grommet and prevent any water ingress to the boot.

Then onto the wiring going to the reverse light and also the cable which needs to go to the head unit/display.

Different than some of the photos I've seen but my car had wiring on the lhs of the boot for the reverse light feed but the cable supplied was still too short, rough measuring showed it would get halfway round the tailgate but no further. But I was forewarned having read Brigante's guide and picked up some extra cable on Saturday. I managed finally to get the side trim off the tailgate so could access the existing wiring all the way round. Had always thought the pin which the parcel shelf string hooks onto would need removing but not so.

For the reverse light wiring I cut into it then used butt splices to rejoin along with a connector so I could disconnect it again if needed. The splices are really handy as you just double up the break out wires with the original wiring at one end and just crimp it up, join the other end back into the original circuit then give it a waft with heat gun and the heatshrink closes up plus releases a glue as well.

IMG_2185a.jpg

Then worked from the top of the boot to run the cables through from the tailgate. Was chuffed to find that the large connector on the long camera cable would go through the umbillical for the wiring, so no need to cut the cable and join it all up again :) I also pulled the push-pins, lhs roof trim and rear grab handle from the headliner to let me pull it down a little bit and route the cables round to come down the rear pillar as per the existing wiring .All went to plan and after the use of much electrical and cloth tape I ended up with all the tailgate end of things finished off.

Left some slack cable at the camera end of things just in case it's needed later.

IMG_2192a.jpg

IMG_2189a.jpg

Didn't get as far as terminating the wiring for the reverse light but that'll be simples now. Also decided to bring the camera wiring down the d-pillar to meet up with the main wiring, intention to run the cable along the floor instead of along the roof and down the A-pillar. Whether I come to regret that decision remains to be seen :rolleyes: Course the cable isn't long enough now and I'm hoping that getting an extra 1m cable isn't too difficult.

Not got the headunit fitted yet, just after finally calling it a day a parcel man turned up with this :D

IMG_2190a.jpg

As usual a straight forward job took me all day but wanted to make sure I did a proper neat job.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Just fitted a reversing camera to my Ford Focus MK3. I am pleased with the camera and fold up monitor.

I have noticed that the number plate is not illuminated at night the same as the original light fitting, also the camera projects out to far restricting the amount of light to about a third of the number plate..

I am concerned about being stopped at night by the police, Do these replacement number plate light cameras conform to legal requirements ?. I would like to know just in case I end up with a ticket and points on my licence.

Out of curiosity does any one know the type of camera installed by ford in the mk3 focus, and where are they positioned.

Barry T

• 7 months later...

Great guide mate! I have a Ford Focus RS MK2, so I already have the camera installed. I was just wondering if you could help me out please. I am looking to put in a switch on the center console utilizing one of the blanking plates, so that I can manually turn on the camera whenever i like but NOT having the reverse light on at the same time. Obviously this would just be a gimmick and I thought it would be pretty cool to have this feature in. Any idea how I would go about doing this and where to attach the switch on the camera wiring? I have been looking everywhere online and I think you are the man to speak to:)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Corey

• 4 weeks later...

You would need to wire in the switch directly to a live circuit. Running a wire from the battery to the centre console then the switch, then run it back to the camera and feed. Basically taking a two point power intake to the camera, one feed from reverse, the other the switch.

• 9 months later...

I did this, connected the power exactly same as you have an I get no picture ("No Video Input") when I put car in reverse, it's doing my head in!

You also need to power the camera if it has a separate power feed

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

hi.. can you please help me.. I see on one image on first page this wire, does anyone knows for what it is used .. its also was disconnected for me..  but I'm plugged into a connector .. and have no idea for what is this.. everything work like before :)

wire.png

• 4 weeks later...

What screen do people here use together with the cameras?
Thanks for the feedback.

• 1 month later...

Hi Brig

I have followed the OP but have a little issue i need your help with please. my camera only works when i select camera and reverse as in it won't interrupt the display and go to camera? i have to select ca,era from the headunit for it to work!!!! must be  wrong wore somewhere but tracked back and all looks well.

Kind Regards

Simon

• 3 months later...

No pics are working in this great thread [emoji853][emoji853][emoji853]

Skickat från min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi , any chance of an update as the pictures and links do not work

thank you kindly :)

Unlikely as the guide poster hasn't been here for a couple of years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Can't see pics, I am about to install a number plate frame camera and just need to see the best way of getting the cables from the boot lid to the main body of the car.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know why the OP had to wire directly behind the reverse light? And not the wires in the boot?

12 minutes ago, Solverz said:

Does anyone know why the OP had to wire directly behind the reverse light? And not the wires in the boot?

if our going to do this, but not started, no offence to the OP, but Lenny has also done a guide (useing the boot opener instead of the numberplate light)

here :

I will be doing this in a couple of weeks as i have a boot release camera as its more centered 

• Like 2

i have just done this and wired it to reverse light. i've not read the other guide of doing to number plate light but means everything switches on as you put it in reverse. not sure if you already know this.

• 4 weeks later...

Brilliant guide, thank you.

I'm looking to fit a camera to my 06 focus but like the idea of the handle mounted camera to keep the camera I'm the centre of the car.

The only ones I can find are for a mk3 focus. Are these the same?

Apparently the mondeo handle/camera will fit but I don't know which model mondeo is the same?

Thanks guys.

i got mine fitted last night (MK 2.5) works very well 🙂

EDIT//

this is mine :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Trunk-Handle-CCD-Reverse-Parking-Camera-For-Ford-Focus-hatchback-2009-2011/111997376293?hash=item1a13905725:g:MSMAAOSwdV1XNw8M

no idea if pre face-lift ones are the same..

They've replied saying if my boot handle is 40mm x 90mm then it will fit.

I might take a punt and try it but am a bit dubious as lots of people are selling them but they are all advertised for the mk2.5 only. They are losing out on a lot of business if they do actually fit the mk2.

• 10 months later...

I have been at this for 4 hours. Thank you so much. I was getting really £@#*ed off

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club