Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo Not Pulling Focus Tddi

dave198823

hi i recently bought a ford focus tddi 1.8 which seems like the turbo isnt kicking in. Ive taken the turbo off and seems to run freely, put it back on but is still lacking turbo power....feels like its running completely without the turbo but theres no lights on dashboard and no smoke.

It revs fine, starts first time but just cant pick up speed very well and cant here the turbo spin.

Can anyone suggest any faults?

Thanks

few things to do Dave

get it serviced, check it for any fault codes and check the boost pipes to see if there any splits etc. does it smoke at all?

any strange noises?

theres no smoke and no lights on dash board it just seems 2 be driving without the turbo

thanks

i'd get it checked out at a garage then just to be on the safe side. sometimes the fault code lights do not show up and only a reader will pick this up!

The turbo can be very quiet and it can pull from very low revs (especially a VNT turbo) and if you are used to a petrol car (especially a powereful one) you might be expecting a rush of power at higher revs that never comes

What did you drive before this?

If the turbo is not working at all the car would still run, but woold be hoplessly underpowered - it would probably do about 40mph and take ages to get there (out- accelerated by big trucks etc) - so it would be VERY slow - (thats what mine was like when i kept blowing off boost hoses) - is it like that ?

Does it pull up hills and hold its speed on the motorway?

is it a VNT or a fixed-vane turbo? (pictures would be helpful)

When was it last serviced/ what was done?

ive just had another check and realised that both the metal hoses which come off the intercooler seem to be working ok (1 blowing in air the other taking out) but i pulled off the sensor which plugs into the side of the intercooler and nothing changed. Not sure if this is supposed to make a difference or not?

There is oil getting into the turbo as i changed the banjo bolt yesterday as it was broken and the turbo does run freely, also the air is getting into the intercooler. Its quite slow at revving up aswell.

I think it does get up hills ok but havnt really had it on the road long enough to see

the turbo is the same as this one- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-focus-turbo-unit-ddti-18-diesel-/310656684160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item485494d080

I dont no when it was last serviced etc

Thanks

and it does run very slow, doubt i would outrun a push bike lol

i had a similar problem with my 1.6 tdci..checked the engine bay and found that the air inlet pipe had a crack in it..changed this but still the same...so i went around all the jubilee clips and found that all of them were loose..so tightened all these..then as a secondary measure i put self augmenting tape around all the joins...blimey..what a difference..she goes like poo off a shovel now...using less fuel and pulls like a good un...worked for me..maybe worth looking at all the joints and clips etc...